'Last Hope' Central thread

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Your attention to detail is great.
Please tell me about Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown III. I might as well ask you to give some input on Baseball Stars 2 which I find to be better than the
AES version.
BB

Fakk2 said:
lol, how did I know youd pull the Puzzle bobble card!? Hahaha thats a knee slapper! Ok ya got me there, I think that one game, along with League Bowling might be the only two thats identical to the AES carts. But somehow I seriously doubt it. I remember many LOW meg games having things cut out of them ON PURPOSE just so CD users DO NOT get the same experience as the AES users.

Examples I can remember off hand.

Mahjong Kyo Retsuden... Gameplay seems perfectly there along with graphics, but ON PURPOSE, they cut out the TWO theme songs sung by the japanese singers. I thought that was unaceptable to rip them out for no reason, Its on CD now they would have sounded great.

Ninja Combat... Gameplay and graphics look identical if I recall, but again, they took out the speech in between stages. That is not cool to do, that was the neat part of that game for its time speech was cool in 2D games!

Alpha Mission II....again low meg game like the others, yet sound fx were ripped out of the game and replaced with others from differnt ships. The sound fx of the drums in the intro are gone for no reason, so its got ripped sound. unacceptable.

Magician Lord .... This game seems like the AES, but simple as hell because its changed to start you off where you died making it worthless....oh and the music was recorded from a stereo source of AES/MVS cart but yet they only recorded the sound from the left sound channel so the music is missing half of its great instruments. What a nightmare.

Viewpoint... oh god what a music transfer from hell, crack...popop....hisss,, crack...crackk..pooppopop hisss... is it a broken up record?

Ninja Masters.... is missing its moving backgrounds, they are not moving at all in the CD version.

Metal Slug.... Missing graphics, frames missing, signs in the background dont even move at all...etc.. lights dont shine through trees in stage 3 etc...

Kabuki Klash.... underwater stage is missing mermaid among other graphics... among many stages have no water splash effect when jumping on water...etc..

Must I go on...
Every game was like this in one way or another on the CD format. Neo CD was a port system, and I hate to say that but it was. Ever notice the better sound quality of the Neo CD and CDZ sounds like shit in comparison? CDZ sounds like its buffered music or something and not coming straight from the cd. And was it just me or is the s-video output of the single speed look kinda wavy but the CDZs looks perfect? You notice this? CDZ really is 2x the speed and no more monkey juggling balls (Except for metal Slug he juggles grenades)! now we got a nifty TV Set saying NEO.... GEO.... CDZ... ENJOY... GAME. ;)

It was good but the AES was allways the best, I knew it then and I know it now. I think Puzzled may have been 1-1 port, but I wouldnt go around boasting that the CDZ was arcade perfect for just Puzzle Bobble, league Bowling, and Puzzled. ;)

It didnt even get King of the Monsters or Eightman, and those games were pretty kickass for thier time.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
BIG BEAR said:
Your attention to detail is great.
Please tell me about Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown III. I might as well ask you to give some input on Baseball Stars 2 which I find to be better than the
AES version.
BB
why not, as soon as my AES arrives I will do comparisons and let you know. :)

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Aww sh8t! I thought that you did every comparison throughout the years and could rattle off the differences like RAIN MAN
icon25.gif

What happened to your AES? Didn't you own several?
Anyway thankyou for considering doing those comparisons. I don't own a CD system atm and I am trying to avoid doing so for the 1Xth time.:D
BB

Fakk2 said:
why not, as soon as my AES arrives I will do comparisons and let you know. :)

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
He did it for me. His wisdom about the Neo CD exceeds the common wisdom of the mid 90's.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It's amazing how some people (the newbs and cart snobs) don't miss a chance to bash on things they obviously have not the slightest clue of. :oh_no:

Fakk2

BIG BEAR said:
Aww sh8t! I thought that you did every comparison throughout the years and could rattle off the differences like RAIN MAN
icon25.gif

What happened to your AES? Didn't you own several?
Anyway thankyou for considering doing those comparisons. I don't own a CD system atm and I am trying to avoid doing so for the 1Xth time.:D
BB

lol, rain man, thats a good one. :) yeah well I didnt want to tell you that the only thing I can remember about those games like BBS2 was loading times and pauses between each inning due to loading the music tracks etc.. so I'll need the AES system back to do real comparisons, I was just giving you comparisons off the top of my head that I can recall on the NeoCD like it was yesterday, but it has been awhile since I played the NeoCD system since I am done cracking all the NeoCD games.

I did own several AES consoles, and Im on my 3rd machine. Luckily I didnt need to trash this one as Jeff Kurtz fixed it and is in process of sending it back to me. Its a pleasure to do the comparisons for ya, its been awhile since I played my good ol CDZ anyways. Ever wonder why Im called the NeoGeoCD Master at SegaXtreme forums. ;) Im gonna take the CDZ out now and fire up those games and see what I can find.

Fakk2

Takumaji said:
It's amazing how some people (the newbs and cart snobs) don't miss a chance to bash on things they obviously have not the slightest clue of. :oh_no:

your a fool if you think I dont know the NeoCD system.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
How did you trash it if you don't mind me asking?
I can tell you that I do remember being able to hit right-center and left center field doubles in the CD version of BBS2. I beleieve I've even been able to leg out a triple with hits down the right and left field lines (unclear)
BB

Fakk2 said:
Luckily I didnt need to trash this one as Jeff Kurtz fixed it and is in process of sending it back to me.

Fakk2

BIG BEAR said:
How did you trash it if you don't mind me asking?BB

Simply put, when I was like 13 a friend of mine somehow broke my AES by pulling a cart out of it at an angle when the top was off of the unit. instead of getting SNK to fix it, I went outside and threw it in the trash, hence I trashed it. The second system that broke I did send to SNK and they repaired it for $75 and sent a new one. I should have sent the first in for repair but I decided to just buy a new system at that time. This is the third system (AES) that somehow broke, this time it got fried at a Neo Gathering by someone putting a wrong JPN power supply in the EURO system and it fried the sprite ram. But its now repaired and on its way back.

Well I just put in BBS2 and so far within 1 minute of playing I can tell without even playing the AES cart, there is speech missing from the game on the CD version, may not be much but again there is a difference none the less making it another port.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fakk2 said:
within 1 minute of playing I can tell without even playing the AES cart, there is speech missing from the game on the CD version, may not be much but again there is a difference none the less making it another port.

Please look up the definition of "port" before babbling any more nonsense like that.

There's no question the NGCD games have missing stuff. Old, old news.

But hey, do go on, we badly need more Captain Obvious stuff here.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Bobak said:
Final words:

Last Hope: Decent shooter, way too expensive.
I agree. You have to admit though, as homebrew goes, the game obviously goes far above and beyond anything homebrew we've seen on the system, Frog Feast or otherwise. I'll bet it exceeds any of the PSPware people have been raving about. And I can tell that just from what I've seen in this thread. If there were a reasonable way to attain a legal copy, it would be nice to try.

Fakk2

Ok guys. Im just keeping it to LH from now on...or I'll try to anyways.

I just got the Neo-Geo back last night from Jeff and it works great again! I bought his NeoBits and installed it. Works great. :) Now I can see about doing some final videos in AVI at best quality that my Pinnicle Movie Box can do, but not HD. Expect the files to be large.

Oh and I found a secret in the game and also a bug.

First the bug. If you manage to get a high score and it askes you to put in your name, after you save that score on the MC let it cycle through the demos and dont press anything. Instead of it going through all the demos like normal it will get stuck and loop Stage 3 demo forever until you press a button.

ok, and now for the secret I found. After you die it will ask if you want to continue, select no, then it will take you to the game over screen and then the scoring screen. At that time hit B and C together and a ship will appear and a score countdown will begin. It moves fast so shoot all you can before the timer runs out and see how high you can get the score. Sadly the timer just starts over when it hits zero and so does the score. Maby it wants a certain score to show us another secret or something? who knows.... when finsihed just hit start to go to the title screen.

Oh and I also noticed when you put the game on HARD mode and watch the demos, they are slightly different.

EDIT: I just played the game recording each stage and got all the way to the last boss of the game, I cannot seem to defeat his 3rd morph, but since I recorded all the stages I guess you'll all have something nice to finally see about this wonderful game. Im busy right now editing the footage to get it all together as for some reason I cannot change the framerate from 29.95 FPS and it gets out of sync after awhile with the sound fx. So I have to do ALOT of editing of the levels to get it all to look and sound right. After a few hours I should have some of it available to download from MegaUploads once again. I decided not to do Full AVI as each level ends up about a 1 gig video size so I kept them on my HDD incase someone wants them I can personally give you the AVI through FTP if you have one. Otherwise I made decent MPEG2's from the AVIs for your viewing pleasure. The AVIs look the best but the MPEG2s are smaller in size for you to download.
See yall in a few hours with some nice new videos. :)

Last edited:

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
Orrr... I thought you said it wern't ready for that ?

This is a tribute to the tribute that is the tribute to the tribute longest thread

Ok, ok... I am drunk and I have to go to work (I'll try not to bump into things)

Bobak said:
Final words:

Last Hope: Decent shooter, way too expensive.

Stellaking

Witchsmeller Pursuivant
I wonder if the team still read this thread ?... Or did they ever after the 1st post ?

Last edited:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
On another note, the intro music in ff 3 CD version is much more thumping than the home/mvs cart version and the (once again dark destiny outreaches its icy grip) speech is a lot louder and can be heard much more clearer than the faint version in the home/mvs cart

as for last hope, i wouldnt mind an mvs version as long as it wasnt too expensive and would rather pay a bit more for one done by the company rather than a boot

Last edited:

billd420

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
10 Year Member
Gotenks326 said:
Any update on those videos?

Yeah Fakk wahts good? I'm dying to see some more footage from this game. I especially am interested in the last boss. Is he bad-ass looking?

-Bill

Fakk2

Ok, sorry for the wait fellas. Adelphia has been turning into Time Warner Cable and has been constantly going up and down all day long yesterday and now my email doesnt even work today which is gonna give me ebay problems as well. :( But anyways, I managed to actually get 4 stages uploaded to the Mega Uploads server and Im glad I edited them to MPEG2s as MegaUploads max file size is 250 megs, so with that said all of them are slightly under 250MB files. Just please keep in mind the following while watching these videos.

#1 I had to record them at 29.95 FPS so as I said earlier the audio will get outta sync with the video, AND it moves a bit choppy compared to the real game. so I was forced to die at each checkpoint and had to restart the recording and I did that ALOT! It took me 16 hours to play and record till the end of the game and thats not including the time it took to edit the videos to get them to play as good as I can get them to play etc.. So I do hope you like this footage.

#2 Since I did die alot some of the footage may jump a bit and I may appear without my pod as I just restarted at that checkpoint, so the game was not at fault there. I had to do ALOT of editing to get it all there, keep that in mind. Plusmore the MPEG2s do look a bit blurred compared to the AVIs that I have, but the AVIs take up 7 GB and the MPEG2s only take up 1.23 GBs so if you want to really see what the game looks like hook me up with an FTP and I can upload the 7GB movies. :P

So without further a due, here are some videos that I managed to upload yesterday at Mega Uploads. ENJOY guys!! (and yes I know that Pulstar has spinning end bosses so try not to compare the end bosses to Pulstars etc.. I think they tried to give the game an 80s feel only with Neo-Geo quality and accomplished that perfectly, I also think they were great for first timers and the game is still hella fun the way it is, and thats the most important factor anyways, FUN! and the LAST End Boss does morph quite nicely a few times)

STAGE 1
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G79IA6QZ

STAGE 2
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8SSRVTSW

STAGE 3
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J11R5H87

STAGE 4
Removed at Timm Hellwigs request

STAGE 5
Removed at Timm Hellwigs request

STAGE 6
Requested by Timm Hellwig not to be shown

and to answer Billd, yes the last boss is pretty badass looking and hard as hell for me. I tried for about 3 hours yesterday and could not pass his 3rd morph. All I need to do is beat him and then I can try to start beating the game in something other than VERY EASY mode. :P I feel like a wuss not being able to beat anything but stage 1 and 2 on easy and normal modes.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
dur i whant dem romzz... ave they been reelased. i wanna steal em an play on da emlatorsz

That's weird how you guys are changing to Time Warner over there. Here all of the state's Time Warner is changing to Comcast, so they're going to own like the whole state now.

Last Hope breaks the rules of the establishment. There are bullets coming from places you wouldn't expect them to, and the items and shots can be hard to distinguish from the background in the video. And I can't tell at all where to shoot the boss. I kind of already noticed that in the old videos, but yours are so nice, they basically confirm it. That's probably part of why it's so difficult. Still, amazing for homebrew.

Thanks. You obviously worked hard on these. You're almost inspiring me to make the Hyper Neo videos and reviews I'm supposed to do.

Last edited: