'Last Hope' Central thread

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
WoW, I'd buy that on AES in a heartbeat. Who cares what the price is, bring it on!!

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
Thanks for the praise so far. We appreciate that a lot :).

Price:
The pricing will be quite high, atleast 2 x SNK pricing. You have to consider that we had high development effort and costs, furthermore it will be a limited run. Developing a 2D game with this quality from scratch took a lot resources. We have to ensure with the pricing that we can continue with high quality independent game developing in the future.

MVS release:
I'm not sure this will happen in the near future (e.g. 3 months). In the beginning the pricing would be similiar to the homecart price, which is quite hefty for the home mvs market. But if there is enough demand, everything is possible.

So first comes the AES release. We will see what happens after that.

Gameplay:

In short it's a classic memorize shmup with some modern elements and a new satellite system.

More gameplay relevant details will be posted this weekend, as the Last Hope homepage will be openend then. A movie will follow soon after that.

Best regards,
Timm

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
maybe this will sound a bit arrogant, but maybe you should change the name of the game? Last Hope - even if it is in the tradition of Last Resort - is quite frankly a weak title. maybe this is just the work-in-progress title?
if we are taling 700 dollars for a cart I'm not sure I and others would be able to put down that kind of money. you would have to provide in depth info on the game, show videos - it would even be wise to have someone independently review the game, though this might not be interesting to you.

lastly: if you make a scrolling beat 'em up of a high quality, I would definetly put down that kind of money. that's what is really missing from the neo geo library - a high quality side scrolling beat 'em up. maybe even a Contra style game.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
DevilRedeemed said:
maybe this will sound a bit arrogant, but maybe you should change the name of the game? Last Hope - even if it is in the tradition of Last Resort - is quite frankly a weak title. maybe this is just the work-in-progress title?
if we are taling 700 dollars for a cart I'm not sure I and others would be able to put down that kind of money. you would have to provide in depth info on the game, show videos - it would even be wise to have someone independently review the game, though this might not be interesting to you.

lastly: if you make a scrolling beat 'em up of a high quality, I would definetly put down that kind of money. that's what is really missing from the neo geo library - a high quality side scrolling beat 'em up. maybe even a Contra style game.

Agreed.

Sales are going to be verrrrry slow if its "at least 2X SNK pricing" (+$700 :eek: ) thats a bit steep, even for people on this site, plus considering its not an official SNK title and is unlikely to have their production values.

Good to see some life being pumped into the Neo a year after its death though.

Like whats said above, I'd love to see a Streets of rage type game, or metal slug/contra game, even if it rips off other series.

What would be heaven though, are CPS2 board conversions onto AES or other jamma pcbs on the AES however unlikely that may be :buttrock:

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
NG:DEV.TEAM said:

Price:
The pricing will be quite high, atleast 2 x SNK pricing. You have to consider that we had high development effort and costs, furthermore it will be a limited run. Developing a 2D game with this quality from scratch took a lot resources. We have to ensure with the pricing that we can continue with high quality independent game developing in the future.

MVS release:
I'm not sure this will happen in the near future (e.g. 3 months). In the beginning the pricing would be similiar to the homecart price, which is quite hefty for the home mvs market. But if there is enough demand, everything is possible.

Gameplay:

In short it's a classic memorize shmup with some modern elements and a new satellite system.

More gameplay relevant details will be posted this weekend, as the Last Hope homepage will be openend then. A movie will follow soon after that.

Best regards,
Timm

and then it died :(

Seriously, I am sure you put a lot of thought in your pricing but I do not see the thinking behind a $700 release.

- I do not know the exact costs that are getting in your production (without dev costs) but doesn't it make more sense to give a more affordable price and sell a hundred than make it $700 and sell 20 units?

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
fake shit

i wouldn't want to try it if i was given 20 $

but no wait,you want people to PAY for fake unofficial crap ?

people,the shooters on the neo are the ones made by snk / yumekobo / sammy

that's it

if you are so desperate for new good shooters there are tons coming out for the playstation 2

but that's not even the point

i am actually offended that people dare to develop stuff on my beloved neo geo

leave it the alone,please

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
Howdoin said:
but I do not see the thinking behind a $700 release.

they think a lot of people were buying playmore games or stuff like btg or blazing star for high prices just to "collect" something

expensive videogames

stupid middle-aged men with too much money and no passion for the games

so they must have thought

"well,if we say it's rare and limited they will all drool over this"

well,some people were like that

but others were buying the games to play them,
because they had a genuine passion for snk and the neo

fake shit is not snk and it's not meant to run on the neo hardware

i don't care if this sounds too harsh

it's the way i see it :)

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Looks awesome... but 2x SNK pricing? That's a bit expensive, no?

If you hope to sell any, a review of the game by a respected member of the community is absolutely essential. Especially at the price range you have mentioned.

I'd love to see a video of this being played. It looks great. I'm a sucker for shooters, too... But $700+... That's steep, even for Neo Geo. You're well on your way to having enough for Metal Slug on AES for that price...

Last edited:

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
Fran said:
fake shit

i wouldn't want to try it if i was given 20 $

but no wait,you want people to PAY for fake unofficial crap ?

people,the shooters on the neo are the ones made by snk / yumekobo / sammy

that's it

if you are so desperate for new good shooters there are tons coming out for the playstation 2

but that's not even the point

i am actually offended that people dare to develop stuff on my beloved neo geo

leave it the alone,please

I actually think this is a little harsh, any support for the Neo (or any "dead" console for that matter) is welcome but I think it should stay within reasonable prices, i.e. under or max for the price a Neo game would cost.

At $700 a pop I don't really see more than 30 copies going worlwide (but I might be sorely mistaken), sell it at $150 and you'll get more than a 100 for sure.

Selling a game for $700 is like calling for a rom dump and people will make their own conversions. At less than $200 it's not worth the trouble to do a conversion.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
$700, not a chance in hell. Sorry man.

You should sell the ROM for $5 or something low. Seriously, paying for a ROM sounds like madman talk, but I'm sure most people would pay out of respect of knowing your troubles for making such a high end homebrew game. I'd give you $20.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
I'm impressed by the looks of the screenshots as well... but for $700 I would pretty much certainly have to pass it up. Still interested to see what the screen shots look like... btw, have you though of converting the project over to Neo CD? That way you could have the release look great, fit in with other Neo CD games and not charge an arm and a leg for it... :chimp:

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
Seriously, please, someone, post and let us know that you would buy this game at $700.

When I started reading this thread, I thought, "Gee, probably somewhere from like 100 to maybe 250 tops. (Which is an affordable range)." Why don't you make things easier for yourselves, only make 1 copy, and sell it for a million dollars. It'll be the rarest Neo Geo game ever.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Great job on developing a nice title for the Neo-Geo...

I'm sure it will play and look decent, but don't expect more than 2 people to pay $700 for an unofficial title - not gonna happen.

Good luck though :)

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I was digging the idea, until a '2xSNK' price was mentioned.
You're fooking crazy.
There are SO many quality homebrew titles where the prices are ridiculously cheap.
If you guys release this as a $700 cart, someone will buy it, and the ROMZZZ will be on the web faster than you can say "Shazam". Seriously, rethink the idea.
Just because it's on this hardware doesn't mean that much to most gamers, not when they could buy any number of known excellent, OFFICIAL Neo games for that much dough.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
wow, i don't even think SNK could charge 700 for a legit release. let alone a homebrew.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Dear Developer,

If you were smart, you'd charge $25 a pop or so for the rom images of this to be downloaded.

Offer a service to make this into a NeoCD game or burned into a cart, then you're talking mucho cash.

You will get hardly any sales otherwise, and the few you may get will be dumped and distributed online anyway.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
Fakk2 said:
WoW, I'd buy that on AES in a heartbeat. Who cares what the price is, bring it on!!
For $700, would you like to retract your statement?

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Perhaps he meant 2x SNK pricing in 1992?

that would be like 179-199X2 = 358 - 398 which turns out to be somewhere closer to recent pricing for new releases.

Game looks like something fun to try out on my xbox or pc and for $700, even more so.

brightangel

Crazed MVS Addict
At $700, this game doesn't compete with other games. It competes with next-gen consoles.

Sure some of us would fork out $700 for AES games with known collectible value, but to start off a homebrew production with a $700 price tag?

Sorry, guys, but what business model are you working to?

mungrin

Panko KING,
What are they doing for Music.Games look great but is it gonna have "beeps" and "boops" like Pong for music?

ROBOTRON

Marked Wolf
NG:DEV.TEAM said:

Price:

MVS release:

Gameplay:

Best regards,
Timm

NO.

No way. A shame too, Neo-Geo is my fav machine, shooters my fav genre, but no more $1000 games and then the rom is avilable for free 2 months after release.

No farking way.

NG:DEV.TEAM

Marked Wolf
So we knew it would be hard after the price tag is known.

There will be only 30-40 pieces, producing more would be to expensive/risky and would take to much time todo so. Parts resources are limited too. We must recover all cost from this + we need get more money on our next projects. We want to invest money in future NEO GEO projects to increase our qualitiy.

I read here often 'I would buy it for 200USD', thats nice but its definitely below our production/development costs. There is no way doing that for this AES Release. Maybe a small puzzle game would be possibly in this price tag.

Buyers also should see it as an investment into the future of NEO GEO and 2D gaming.

Yes this release (not the game itself!) is aiming at people who have already most NGH games or really want a new shmup on the neo.
For gamers (who doesn't care on which platform and in which form they play their games/it's all about the games etc.) there will be a cheaper and easier to handle solution in future. But currently we are AES only.

A review of the game by a respected member of the community is a good idea.
Who would you choose for that? Shawn?

@mungrin:

It will feature a great digitized soundtrack from Rafael Dyll: http://www.soniqfactory.de