KOF2003 Boot....

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Calm yourself -

I didn't say it wasn't, but I don't think it is.

Japhei was never selling the PCBs when the game came out, he was selling the MVS carts. It would make no sense for him to NOW sell PCBs for MORE than the MVS carts. No. Sense. At. All.

Also, the picture is horrid and very hard to tell much of anything.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
c.t.h said:
Calm yourself -

I didn't say it wasn't, but I don't think it is.

Japhei was never selling the PCBs when the game came out, he was selling the MVS carts. It would make no sense for him to NOW sell PCBs for MORE than the MVS carts. No. Sense. At. All.

Also, the picture is horrid and very hard to tell much of anything.

He obviously switched to jamma pcb because he couldn't pull off selling the mvs carts as legit. Plus, keep in mind that a boot jamma board costs more to produce than a cart. I'll post those pics ResOGlas posted again.....

Look at that fucking resistor circled in red. No damn camera is going to change the position of it on the board. Can't blame that one on the "bad lighting".
Authentic:
authenticjamma

Bootleg with details circled for you morons:
counterfeitdetail

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I really doubt there's a bootleg SvC JAMMA board, and that thing is WAY close to the original. Could be a different label print out, but I don't see them making a bootleg JAMMA board, doesn't make much sense.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
JHendrix said:
I really doubt there's a bootleg SvC JAMMA board, and that thing is WAY close to the original.

I really doubt all those fake Rolex watches you can buy on the internet are bootlegs, they just look way too close to the originals...:rolleyes:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Shirt in a Can said:
I really doubt all those fake Rolex watches you can buy on the internet are bootlegs, they just look way too close to the originals...:rolleyes:

Maybe the fact that they have to use a real M68000, Z80, and full BIOS chips, etc for the thing might be a giveaway to the fact that the board makes little sense to make as a bootleg since the carts are 353911341273 times cheaper to produce, and probably sell better.

It makes no sense to have a bootleg board, and that thing seems WAY too close to the original to be a boot. You've gotta be kidding me to say that they'd glue the EPROM's in just like in the original JAMMA board, it doesn't make much financial sense to do this.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
Yeah, I really doubt it's a bootleg.

But noob, feel free to believe whatever you want.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Definately this thread is worth reading...

Well, after playing a bit the game "spot the difference", I THINK that SVC board Japhei is selling is....

*legit* (puts on flame retardant suit)

He is selling it for 240$, which is quite a realistic price for an original one. As it's been said it doesn't make sense to make bootleg boards, as it is cheaper, and has a bigger market, to make carts, so arcade operators with multislots and home users can use it better than the board. And I don't really think the bootleg buyers care if it looks authenthic or not. And I also don't think Japhei prefers to sell this because "it was obvious the carts were bootlegs", hell, he has and will continue selling bootlegs shamelessly and nothing happens to him.

About the differences, well, the pic is crappy, and most of them don't seem conclusive enough. About the label, the bootleggers would be STUPID if they wanted it to look legit and had reproduced so well all the board, and then screwing something as simple as a fucking sticker. It could have been replaced and that's all.
About him having "the exclusive righs", so far this is the first board like this that appears. So you can't make conclussions by only one board.

Finally (and this doesn't count as proof), Japhei (and many other supposedly "honest" sellers :rolleyes: ), follows the rule to clearly say that an item is authentic when it is, and just don't say anything when he knows it's a boot. I know he could fool us (or have been fooled himself), but still this is a sign.

Yes, KoF 03 is a fucking bootleg due to the price. Anyway it is still unclear if it is cart or pcb or whatever. I'd love to see pics.:

Last edited:
Hi
I hate to be the 1 to tell you all that a bootlegg jamma pcb does EXIST. They have been out quite awhile now and they have been selling them as a complete kit marquess & all.so be very careful when you see complete kits on Egay.

CrdfightrsClash

Kuroko's Training Dummy
SHO said:
i hate this caroles collectibles

every time i search for mvs stuff

this is always the name that comes up!!!

omg get rid of him

i want a strikers 1945 mvs .... no one selling it other than caroles fecking collectibles

I know exactly how you feel :very_ang: :very_ang:

At first I was happy that I had found Strikers 1945 MVS on eBay because I heard it was rare, but then this thread (among others) luckily pointed out that the seller was not reputable...

Still sucks I cant find a legit Strikers tho :crying:

KO-YT

n00b
bootlegs

well i have a few friends in HK that works in arcade retailers.
they said that there is no such thing as a bootleg mvs board, but mvs carts exists for sure. this is because the cost of actually cloning the whole board is around 3-4 times higher then just making a cart...and by making a bootleg board that looks THAT much like a real one, that means they even added in decryption...that's not even worth the time and money

i sent an email to caroles-collectibles...
i told her i was desperate for an "mvs" version of kof2003. her reply was: "this auction is for the MVS cart version"

and btw those boots are selling for around 200usd in asia...
that has been confirmed too

TimKunming

New Challenger
20 Year Member
hey guys,
I went around to the local arcades here in kunming, as one of the owners I have become quite good friends with. I asked him straight up whether or not there were such things as bootleg jammas in China...he told me, so far as he knew, there were none. This is in Yunnan Province, right next to Guangzhou. But...when I asked about MVS carts, he said most definitely. In fact, it appears most of the MVS carts in the arcades are de facto bootlegs...I don't know whether or not SNK's HK headquarters get around to checking out these places or if HK is the only place with somewhat legit carts.
I've searched high and low in this city and the only thing I've be able to come up with are bootleg MVS carts at old arcades. I haven't seen any bootleg jammas but IF I do I will certainly let everyone know and we can solve this question once and for all.
Also, RVF400, the guy with connections in Guangzhou...your father(?) is the head of all businesses in the whole province? Dude, why don't you live here!? Is he the head of state-owned businesses, I assume? I'd also love to know where your nephew found all these boot jammas....I haven't seen any here in Yunnan...although Guangzhou is known for bootleging PS2 and gameboy games out the wazzoo, I've never heard of bootleg jammas. Very interesting indeed...what will they come up with next?

nothingxs

King's Dry Cleaner
I would certainly send an e-mail to SNK/Playmore and SNK NeoGeo USA with the links of the eBay auctions in them, if anything so that they can get some investigation groove going...

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I've confirmed that the "Black label" used on Japhei's svc jamma boards (with the extra wide font) is the exact same label on Japhei's MVS carts. This knowledge, plus the fact that the boards *are* different, should be enough info to at least give you the better judgement to simply buy a board that you know is legit. Different sized capacitors, a resistor in the center of the board that's obviously in a completely different place, a different dipswitch box, and the same label used on the Boot mvs carts.....way too many to keep anyone from logically purchasing this board when they can buy one that they are positive is legit.

robert-gamble

Armored Scrum Object
JHendrix said:
Maybe the fact that they have to use a real M68000, Z80, and full BIOS chips, etc for the thing might be a giveaway to the fact that the board makes little sense to make as a bootleg since the carts are 353911341273 times cheaper to produce, and probably sell better.

What makes you think it would cost so much more to produce? 68k and z80 would cost less than $1 each, and the bios chips would just be another 3(?) eeproms. I would have thought a jamma pcb would cost the bootleggers less than $20 extra to produce. It's not like they're bootlegging pentium 4s or Radeons, Neogeo is very cheap, old technology that is fully documented, emulated, etc.

It might even work out cheaper for them to produce the Neo chipset than it does for them to produce plastic casings for MVS carts ;)

Bootleg Jamma boards have existed for yeeeaaars, I don't see why people are having such a hard time believing this.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
ResOGlas said:
I've confirmed that the "Black label" used on Japhei's svc jamma boards (with the extra wide font) is the exact same label on Japhei's MVS carts. This knowledge, plus the fact that the boards *are* different, should be enough info to at least give you the better judgement to simply buy a board that you know is legit. Different sized capacitors, a resistor in the center of the board that's obviously in a completely different place, a different dipswitch box, and the same label used on the Boot mvs carts.....way too many to keep anyone from logically purchasing this board when they can buy one that they are positive is legit.

I hate to be defending Japhei, but about the label, it could also be that the original was screwed and he had a spare one from his bootleg carts.
I wouldn't be buying the board from Japhei anyway even if I was sure 100% it was legit, just not to give money to him nor risk being scammed.

Robert, it is true that bootleg JAMMA boards have always existed, but only of those games that can not be produced in a cheaper format like a cart.

Weirdguy

Overtop Pathfinder
I just received an email from a guy in Montreal (Canada) which I emailed somes weeks ago about a MVS cart auction on ebay (I as asking if it was legit...)

So we were exchanging email and he told me he (they) make bootleg of KOF2K3...

And now he's offering one to me at 299.00$... (me no want bootleg)

So bootleg of KOF2K3 exist...