KOF14 announced for 2016 on PS4

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Really loving this game. Using my ps3 stick felt a little weird and I can't quite put my finger on why. Might stick to pad for this iteration.

Already blasted through all the team stories and unlocked 100% of the sounds. Looking to tackle the special illustrations next. Outside of the Tung/Gang-Il/Chin team, does anyone know any of the other teams that can be used to earn the special illustrations?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
There's another AOF tribute when King fights Ryo. During their conversation, the pre-fight conversation music from AOF 1 will play. Once the match begins, a newly arranged version of King's music from AOF 1 will play. I thought that was really nifty.

Beyond that, some other quick impressions:

Beat story mode with the AOF team and the Women's team.
Spoiler:
The Women's team ending, as is tradition, features a ton of cameos with everyone celebrating in the Pao Pao Cafe, while causing great consternation to Richard Meyer and Bob Wilson. The AOF team ending was one of the most boring and drawn out I've experienced in any fighting game. They literally talk about how to run a restaurant, meat quality, and customer service for about a solid 5 minutes. It was just.....strange.

The game flows extremely well, and basic combos feel much easier to pull off, which makes me very happy. The light punch auto-combo, while doing less overall damage, is a great and easy way to finish off an opponent.

Controls are very solid, however there were some quirks. The biggest one is Robert's Gen'ei Kyaku (his multi-kick move), which despite very deliberately pressing only left-right-left (or vice versa), will come out as his Ryuuren: Gen'eikyaku (the throw version of the same move) about 90% of the time. This constantly left me whiffing the move, and was pretty frustrated. It comes out easier using the analog stick, but I prefer to use the d-pad.

Movelists for some older characters like Ryo and King feel anemic. Others like Yuri are fleshed out well. I really miss Mai's slide kick and King's Double Strike.

The graphics are better than people give it credit for. As with before, the only real sore point with me is that everyone looks like plastic dolls with kind of generic faces. Beyond that, no complaints.

Backgrounds are well done, though aren't as active as KOF 13's, which I miss.

The voice acting is disappointing. Its jarring hearing Kyo, Iori, Terry, Ryo, Robert, and others sound totally different after two decades of the same voice (or in Robert's case, voices). Of all of them, I miss Terry's original VA the most. His new VA just doesn't quite have that loud confidence and subtle optimism that was so apparent before.

The music is eh, but I'm sure it'll grow on me in time. It sounds very processed and artificial. Its also a fair bit quieter than your standard SNK fighting game, so it would be worth your while to crank the music volume up in the settings.

Story mode is basically arcade mode, which is fine. I wouldn't mind a more fleshed out story in the future though.

The artbook is really nice and definitely worth the purchase of the premium edition.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Nakoruru's Annu Matsube follow-up is 600% safe

Forward guard-roll after the second hit for great justice (you need a power stock for the roll). If you are using Nakoruru, you can overcome this by mixing up between the LP and HP version to confuse the opponent.

Make sure to check NerdJosh's Nakoruru:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Really loving this game. Using my ps3 stick felt a little weird and I can't quite put my finger on why. Might stick to pad for this iteration.
Apparently the legacy driver patch allows ps3 sticks but it not working properly. Input lag issues i believe

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I just got converters, so I'm finally able to use my sticks without needing the broken legacy function. Impressions are that the main game is great and the online is hit or mess. You can have quality online matches with someone with a decent connection. I played a person with a bad connection, though, and their connection timed out, and rather than sending you back to the lobby, the game freezes (forever). It keeps playing music, but other than that you are looking at a frozen screen until you decide to turn off KOF. I'd say the online has possibilities, but it's not ready for prime time.

MCandello

n00b
Tte legacy controller is working and I can play the game with my neo geo x gold limited edition stick!!! It's Bert nistalgic!

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Beat the game with 4 teams so far. Awesome that the original Ikari Warriors game song plays when fighting Ralf vs Clark. I need to find more. The AI in this game is pretty forgiving. I was able to get through a level 5 playthrough with only losing 3 or 4 rounds with the Fatal Fury team. Sometimes a character will get very bold and come with the chain combos into super cancels doing 80% damage.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Looking to tackle the special illustrations next. Outside of the Tung/Gang-Il/Chin team, does anyone know any of the other teams that can be used to earn the special illustrations?

Saw a Nakoruru, Kula, Athena team one.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Im jealous of you guys that got the game I pre ordered it a month ago at my LGS and I will not do that again as they havent even received the game yet WTF? Wanted to be a good guy and support the local place but should of pre ordered on Amazon like I usually do, oh well lesson learned. Glad to hear everyone is really liking it so far and I cant wait to play it. Im gonna give them till friday and if they still dont have it im gonna demand a refund.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Combo system:

- There isn't any form of super move to super move cancels, even during Max Mode
- However, you can cancel almost any attack or super move (including overhead command attacks) with DM's / SDM's without any additional meters
- Almost all normal attacks and command attacks can be interrupted by activating Max Mode too, but you will only get half the meter when it's activated this way mid combos
- Max Mode gives you access to EX super moves, most of which have juggle / bounce property for follow ups. Use them effectively
- Unlike KOF13, EX super moves don't take power stocks in this game. They only deplete your Max meter a little
- Ground blow back HP+HK attacks have wall stun property

General tips:

- Since super cancels don't take additional meters, you now have new means to hit confirm / link your DM's without extra costs. Here are some cheap but effective examples:
* Terry: burn knuckle > busterwolf
* Maxima: grab dash > DM
* Chin: df LK > LK > qcb LP > DM
* Clark: f LK (overhead) > grab DM

- You have more incentive now to start Max mode off the bat instead of mid combos. EX moves grant you more set up options and they are great ways to start combos (Chin's EX hcf LK+HK and Shunei's EX qcf LP+HP are good examples)

- The Max Mode meter duration length depends on the order of your character:
1st: 1000
2nd: 1250
3rd: 1500

- The push back on guard in this game is more than usual, making some links whiff
- I noticed it's harder to do cross ups combos

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
Finally got around to playing it. I like it but im underwhelmed. It doesnt really feel all that fresh compared to new fighters (KOF XIII SFIV, SFV, GGXRD, MVC3). This one feels like Just another day, another KOF. Doesnt help that damn near all the voices are different and i find that VERY off putting. Also some characters are missing some normals and special moves that im finding are sorely missed. Minor complaints on that though.

All in all the game plays fine and I really like it. I REALLY like Sylvia though. I dont know what it is but I find her so fucking amusing :lolz:

Out of who I tested it looks like my mains are gonna be Sylvia, Beni, Daimon, Tizoc and Geese.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
A helpful tip:

When you make a room for the name of the room switch it to the region you are at. It tends to attract more players who will have better connections. It's not perfect, but I had a 4-5 hour session where almost everybody was either tolerable to great connections.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Np the online is very nice IMO. It's set up like a Guilty Gear Xrd room where you can all 12 people in the room can play eachother rather then waiting. You can also set up winner stays, loser stays, or just keep playing the same person without jumping off.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
oh it is?! hell yeah i love the GG lobby system! Gonna be a couple of days until i feel comfortable enough to hop online though. KOF XIV is feeling super complicated to me right now for some reason lol

I know its not that bad but im feeling like theres gonna be a lot to learn...just from playing it tonight for like 40 minutes.

Just need to pick a day to really dig into it. Get myself some solid B&Bs and start playing.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
It's just good dammit!!! This game rapes SFV!!!!!
Walks away from your wreck!!!!

Last edited:

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Combo system:

- There isn't any form of super move to super move cancels, even during Max Mode
- However, you can cancel almost any attack or super move (including overhead command attacks) with DM's / SDM's without any additional meters
- Almost all normal attacks and command attacks can be interrupted by activating Max Mode too, but you will only get half the meter when it's activated this way mid combos
- Max Mode gives you access to EX super moves, most of which have juggle / bounce property for follow ups. Use them effectively
- Unlike KOF13, EX super moves don't take power stocks in this game. They only deplete your Max meter a little
- Ground blow back HP+HK attacks have wall stun property

General tips:

- Since super cancels don't take additional meters, you now have new means to hit confirm / link your DM's without extra costs. Here are some cheap but effective examples:
* Terry: burn knuckle > busterwolf
* Maxima: grab dash > DM
* Chin: df LK > LK > qcb LP > DM
* Clark: f LK (overhead) > grab DM

- You have more incentive now to start Max mode off the bat instead of mid combos. EX moves grant you more set up options and they are great ways to start combos (Chin's EX hcf LK+HK and Shunei's EX qcf LP+HP are good examples)

- The Max Mode meter duration length depends on the order of your character:
1st: 1000
2nd: 1250
3rd: 1500

- The push back on guard in this game is more than usual, making some links whiff
- I noticed it's harder to do cross ups combos

Jesus fuck... that is way too analytical!!! So serious!!!!

I respect though!!!!

Last edited:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Ive only had a few hours with the game, but I'm loving it so far. I enjoyed KOFXIII, but i felt if you weren't 100% with HD combos you could not compete at the game. This game still allows for longer combos with the max mode, but not at the insane level that HD combos were at, which i believe is a good thing at bringing in a wider audience of players. So far i have only tried Yuri, and Kukri. I feel that Yuri is not as strong as she was in XIII, but i still enjoy her, and her play style is pretty similar to other versions of KOF. I do miss the booty jump CD though :(. Kukri is pretty cool, and seems like hes a simple character, that has some character specific stuff to make him stand out.

I have yet to try online, but I have heard mixed things so far. Seems like SNK is aware of the issues though and plans on patching the game again.
Directly from there facebook page - [Notice regarding KOF XIV]
We have confirmed connection slowdowns in online Ranked Match and Free Match modes, which are occurring under specific conditions. We are currently working on a fix to resolve this issue.
Once the patch's release date has been confirmed, we will inform users as soon as possible. We apologize for this inconvenience and thank you for your kind understanding.

In the end, I'm really happy with the game, and hope there is a decent scene for it. If people want to get games in at some point, my PSN is Roku78.

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Beat one run through of story mode (with the only real team Fatal Fury) and played some rounds with friends. Really missing 13's ridiculous Visual novel story mode but was happy that the demo's humor was fully featured here for Antonov, hairy knuckle cry baby. I'll have actual impressions once I finish scripting a review but I want to play online more (aka get my ass kicked first). If anyone's interested in boosting tier confidence by beating a scrub my psn is: DracoBlade712

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Antonov is kawaii as fuck and Xanadu is one of the most fascinating THINGS I've ever experienced in a video game in quite some time.

Pretty nice game, but these prices are out to fucking lunch.....93 bucks? It's like I'm in fucking Australia over here.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Antonov is kawaii as fuck and Xanadu is one of the most fascinating THINGS I've ever experienced in a video game in quite some time.

Pretty nice game, but these prices are out to fucking lunch.....93 bucks? It's like I'm in fucking Australia over here.

Welcome to Neo-geo.com :/ lol jk

Totally worth it bro.

@K'127 mad respect bro for your technical skillz.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive. If it doesn't arrive today I think I'll cry. The website I used promises new releases to arrive 2 days before release, so that's bullshit. I won't be using them again.