KOF XIII New Character Prediction Thread

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Also, lets hope for a 40$ console release as a respectful maneuver into peoples pockets. AT LEAST give us that for all the drama surrounding XII, which put a shadow over this company from so many diehards.

I may seem like a ass regarding all this, but deep down I really mean well with my interest, and HOPE we get the game we dearly deserve.

Don't be surprised if Playmore cannot bring down the price. I don't see the production run of this game being as high as SSFIV. I don't see Playmore in a position to press the games at the same rate as Capcom, who publishes so much more than Playmore. As such, you would have to wait a few months to get this at a reasonable value.

I could definitely use some new characters, and not fucking Marco Rossi. I know that things ahve changed a lot in the way that characters are designed in Japan. But once upon a time, SNK designed Yamazaki, Cheng and Jubei. None of them were pretty boy. All of them had really cool characters that seemed more relatable than shit like Seth and Vanessa, and 180 degrees different from the completely unrelatable characters we got since 2000. I don't expect this from Playmore. They aren't capable of making something that good. At least they can polish up old gold and sell it again.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Though there are six open slots left, though there are 2 possible mid-boss/edit slots next to Ash. Don't forget there will be probably be more characters for the console version; what recent KOF release hasn't had that feature.

I want to be completely random at this and isn't worth but my own two cents.
My guesses:
K' will be on the Iori team.
Kasumi Todoh will be on the AoF team.
Malin, will make up one member of the New Face Team with two new characters.
Young Rock Howard will make his Debut in the Fatal Fury Team

Adelheid and Vice will be midbosses/edist.

In the console version rather than just few new character edits, there will also be an extra team/storyline as well as the non-selectable bosses from the arcade.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Don't be surprised if Playmore cannot bring down the price. I don't see the production run of this game being as high as SSFIV. I don't see Playmore in a position to press the games at the same rate as Capcom, who publishes so much more than Playmore. As such, you would have to wait a few months to get this at a reasonable value.

I could definitely use some new characters, and not fucking Marco Rossi. I know that things ahve changed a lot in the way that characters are designed in Japan. But once upon a time, SNK designed Yamazaki, Cheng and Jubei. None of them were pretty boy. All of them had really cool characters that seemed more relatable than shit like Seth and Vanessa, and 180 degrees different from the completely unrelatable characters we got since 2000. I don't expect this from Playmore. They aren't capable of making something that good. At least they can polish up old gold and sell it again.

I'd shit a brick if Yamazaki returned.
But I have 0 faith in it.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member

Right. The whole pretty boy thing sucks.

The game I will pay full price for PROVIDING the game gives me replay that keeps me grounded.
I really REALLY wanna see Yamazaki redone in this new style. His play style is my favorite in all of KOF, he is very unique and completely designed as a space range character.

I dig the new visual style because it forces this company to do something that isn't cut and paste. Its like a lesson in a way, that might come with much more improved bug testing and the like, because there is a lot more to lose.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Let's hope they learn something from this location test and leave the beta testing to the gamers like many online game publishers, who'd probably do it for alot less than their own QC team.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
My predictions so far are:

Iori team: Yamazaki would be a more unique choice than Vice.
AoF team: Takuma is the best choice. he should be shirtless, AOF2 style. xD
Kim team: It might be Hwa Jai as the disk says, but if it's "Billy",
whether its Billy Kane or Rage of the Dragons Billy, either one is better than
another kickboxer. We already have 2 (Joe and King.)

New Team: It should be made up of Those from the Past members.
They could be the "New Face Team" of this game. And would make more
use of TFTP members considering we have seen 8 of them, it would be a waste
if at least 3 of them are not playable. Because 2-3 of them are likely bosses.
Yes I would like K', Maxima and Kula to return, but at this point, KOFXIII
could benefit from three completely new playable characters that belong to
TFTP. It could be Shroom, Rimelo and someone else new.

Bosses:

*Orochi Iori or Orochi Leona
*Those from the Past elite team (Mukai, Shion, Botan.)
*Dark Ash
*Those from the Past Leader (possibly possessed by Orochi)

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'd love to see vice in there again.
nothing like a yagami team reunion.

and jesus.
give her a better walk/stance than 2002.
that was just dumb.

Last edited:

Fett

Camel Slug
I wouldn't expect a whole "New Face team" until after the Ash arc is compleate. They're gonna keep him as the main interist character for the last part of the story for sure. Three new characters would just be a distraction from that.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I wouldn't expect a whole "New Face team" until after the Ash arc is compleate.
I guess we'll see if they even make any more KOFs after XIII. I mean, I guess they'll probably make at least one more, so they can get their money's worth out of all the new sprites they created by re-using them. But after that, who knows.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
yea I wonder what can be done to make KOFXIII successful enough so SNKP keeps going with the series. Maybe some marketing, f.a.q.s and tutorials from fans?

No other SNK fighting franchise has been as long lasting, popular, successful, and well known in the world.

Last edited:

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
^ IMO they need 3 things aside from marketing.

1. New, great characters for people to fall in love with and want to play as.

2. New moves and gameplay updates to the old characters so old fans will feel interested in playing again and learning new stuff.

3. New updates and improvements to gameplay system to help keep the gameplay fresh and exciting.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yea I wonder what can be done to make KOFXIII successful enough so SNKP keeps going with the series. Maybe some marketing, f.a.q.s and tutorials from fans?

No other SNK fighting franchise has been as long lasting, popular, successful, and well known in the world.

Why should the fans be responsible for anything? If the game is good, the fans will come. If the game is not good, there will be no fans.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
My predictions:

1) Vice to complete the Yagami Team. Just as always she will shares quite q bit of animation frames with Mature. I wonder how she'll be mutilated though. Iori's '96 Chi no Bousou (Riot of the Blooded) costed an eye to Mature (wow, this is very Rugalish, huh?).

2) Hwa Jay to complete Kim Team. As someone said, the theme for this team could easily be social reformation/rehabilitation once again. I guess Hwa Jay will also shares some animation frames with Joe, as he originally did.

3) Takuma will indeed complete the Kyokugenryuu Team, barechested a là RyuuKO2.

4) 'New Face Team': either and Hizoku Team or a Those Who Came from a Distant Land (aka Those from the Past) team. In the first case, which I think is more probable, I would say Lin, Ron and Lan. The intro shows a team with Botan in the middle, though. Other two character seems to be unseen as for now (original).

Last edited:

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Why should the fans be responsible for anything? If the game is good, the fans will come. If the game is not good, there will be no fans.

every bit of interest helps. why do you think the mainstream works the way it works? A lot out there are influenced by what the majority claim is "good".

Yes of course at the core, the game itself will determine how much fans it will get,
but remember there are many underrated games out there that deserves more attention and sales.

So in a sense, it doesn't matter how good a game is, it needs more than that to be successful.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
every bit of interest helps. why do you think the mainstream works the way it works? A lot out there are influenced by what the majority claim is "good".

Yes of course at the core, the game itself will determine how much fans it will get,
but remember there are many underrated games out there that deserves more attention and sales.

So in a sense, it doesn't matter how good a game is, it needs more than that to be successful.

I disagree. KOF XII was a bad game and SNKP paid dearly. And there were people out there singing it's praises, but the mainstream stacked it next to other 60$ fighting games like BB and SFIV and judged it accordingly.

The ball is entirely in SNKP's court.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

If the game is genuinely good, compared to everything else on the market, then all that shit will come with it. If the game is like KoFXII, no one will give a shit, again.

Maybe you should write to SNKP and let them know that.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
It's shameful that SNKP had to be putting out an unfinished game that may as well be regarded as a demo, but seriously, what you can do with a self-called 'fanbase' who's unable to recognize the simple fact that old-style KOF big roster was the result of 10 years of piling up, and of stripping down gfx to begin with? You forget KOF94 sported 24+1 charas from scratch, but at the cost of a way simplified style. That was pretty evident at the time, and quite a bit of people criticized that. The idea was 'we got a team of three simple charas instead of one complete chara'. You forgot that?

Yet, KOFXII has been criticized from the beginning for having few charas. Which was obviosly utterly stoopid. Did you saw Garou MotW debuting with 30 charas? Or even just 20? No, you didn't, and for some reason.

And that was still in the now called low-res.
And that was still in an age with bitmap fighters being half-strong.

Now that the 2D gaming is a niche in a niche, SNK-P managed to put out a dot-art 2D fighter with top notch animation quality and sprite design. In 'next gen hi-res', for the very first time around (this is no anime cel shit, guys!).

That was a project THAT ambitious you can easily call it 'totally crazy'.

And yet again, those people who were supposed to understand *reality* and recognize the value of a *genuine effort* start bitching and blaming for 'few character'.

That's the fanbase.

Heh, talk about being ungrateful and blind.

Yes, KOFXII was an incomplete game. You can call that a demo of a game so ambitious and big it took like 6 years full force to be developed, in this days of terrible crisis for our industry segment.

I've been happy, not blind, to praise SNK-P for that.
I'm a fan of this shit, not a fanboy.
I can understand things. I'm able to give credits where it's deserved.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's shameful that SNKP had to be putting out an unfinished game that may as well be regarded as a demo, but seriously, what you can do with a self-called 'fanbase' who's unable to recognize the simple fact that old-style KOF big roster was the result of 10 years of piling up, and of stripping down gfx to begin with? You forget KOF94 sported 24+1 charas from scratch, but at the cost of a way simplified style. That was pretty evident at the time, and quite a bit of people criticized that. The idea was 'we got a team of three simple charas instead of one complete chara'. You forgot that?

Yet, KOFXII has been criticized from the beginning for having few charas. Which was obviosly utterly stoopid. Did you saw Garou MotW debuting with 30 charas? Or even just 20? No, you didn't, and for some reason.

And that was still in the now called low-res.
And that was still in an age with bitmap fighters being half-strong.

Now that the 2D gaming is a niche in a niche, SNK-P managed to put out a dot-art 2D fighter with top notch animation quality and sprite design. In 'next gen hi-res', for the very first time around (this is no anime cel shit, guys!).

That was a project THAT ambitious you can easily call it 'totally crazy'.

And yet again, those people who were supposed to understand *reality* and recognize the value of a *genuine effort* start bitching and blaming for 'few character'.

That's the fanbase.

Heh, talk about being ungrateful and blind.

Yes, KOFXII was an incomplete game. You can call that a demo of a game so ambitious and big it took like 6 years full force to be developed, in this days of terrible crisis for our industry segment.

I've been happy, not blind, to praise SNK-P for that.
I'm a fan of this shit, not a fanboy.
I can understand things. I'm able to give credits where it's deserved.

You're only seeing the arguments you want to see. Roster size is not what people really care about. Gameplay is - roster size is ancillary. The ability to play the game enjoyably was not there in XII. I'm not just talking netcode either. If a company wants to piggyback on IP, they should at least be faithful to the IP itself, which XII was not. Players lost moves, Leona was once again narfed, what was playmore thinking? Here's what they think - "SNK fans used to pay $325 for King of Fighters games, they are stupid, and we should take advantage of them. Fuck the fans. Let's do the bare minimum necessary to keep milking their sorry asses."

And Shito, you're the biggest fanboy alive. No offense, but you talk about the story of the game like it's the bible and you're in sunday school. And you go nuts about shit people can't take seriously, like AkuDora. People play this shit as a diversion, but you're going for total immersion. So yeah, you are the fanboy. Your custom status should be "il fanboy"

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Players lost moves, Leona was once again narfed, what was playmore thinking? Here's what they think -

You can't read minds can you?

And of course players lost moves. They started with scratch, and worked on quality sprites that takes so much more time and detail than the sprites before it. If they focused any more time on each character, the previous game would of had 10 characters instead of 20-22. Then a lot more would complain about the roster at a greater degree. 10 might be tolerable for a Garou game. But not acceptable for KOF.

Anyways the XII argument doesn't matter anymore. XIII is it's own game and it would take an idiot to not see that it is providing what people expected XII to contain, and is now a potential contender of being one of the greatest fighting games ever.

XIII wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for XII giving it a jump start.
And there's no way XII could have had this much expansion on its own.

If XII was delayed to include the content XIII is getting, they would of ran out of money before XII was finished.

Plus look on the bright side, since XII experimented with stuff like critical counters and zoom, XIII learned from what people didn't want, and offers a much better game overall.

Resentment will get people nowhere. This is the last chance. SNKP is redeeming themselves, and the fans especially should not turn their backs to a company that has risked more and worked harder than anyone else.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
You can't read minds can you?

And of course players lost moves. They started with scratch, and worked on quality sprites that takes so much more time and detail than the sprites before it. If they focused any more time on each character, the previous game would of had 10 characters instead of 20-22. Then a lot more would complain about the roster at a greater degree. 10 might be tolerable for a Garou game. But not acceptable for KOF.

Anyways the XII argument doesn't matter anymore. XIII is it's own game and it would take an idiot to not see that it is providing what people expected XII to contain, and is now a potential contender of being one of the greatest fighting games ever.

XIII wouldn't have made it this far if it wasn't for XII giving it a jump start.
And there's no way XII could have had this much expansion on its own.

If XII was delayed to include the content XIII is getting, they would of ran out of money before XII was finished.

Plus look on the bright side, since XII experimented with stuff like critical counters and zoom, XIII learned from what people didn't want, and offers a much better game overall.

Resentment will get people nowhere. This is the last chance. SNKP is redeeming themselves, and the fans especially should not turn their backs to a company that has risked more and worked harder than anyone else.

Dude, are you Alba? How is it clear that XIII is providing what people expected XII to contain? Have you played it online? Have you played it period?

And it's not its own game, no matter how many times you want to say it to yourself. XIII has XII sprites, the backgrounds are recycled, and I can fathom players do not have all their moves back - so what are we waiting for? For Playmore to slowly give players back their old combos?

Imagine if when HD tvs came out they didn't have volume control, but after a year the manufacturer gives it to you. Isn't that great? No, it's not great. It's stupid. But that's what Playmore is doing.

There was a time when we would get new characters to be excited about. Now we get excited that they give us old characters. What a sorry time for the real fans.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member

How do you know? Have you access to their bank account?

What? :lolz:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
You're only seeing the arguments you want to see. Roster size is not what people really care about. Gameplay is - roster size is ancillary. The ability to play the game enjoyably was not there in XII. I'm not just talking netcode either. If a company wants to piggyback on IP, they should at least be faithful to the IP itself, which XII was not. Players lost moves, Leona was once again narfed, what was playmore thinking? Here's what they think - "SNK fans used to pay $325 for King of Fighters games, they are stupid, and we should take advantage of them. Fuck the fans. Let's do the bare minimum necessary to keep milking their sorry asses."

And Shito, you're the biggest fanboy alive. No offense, but you talk about the story of the game like it's the bible and you're in sunday school. And you go nuts about shit people can't take seriously, like AkuDora. People play this shit as a diversion, but you're going for total immersion. So yeah, you are the fanboy. Your custom status should be "il fanboy"

Chas, you know I have great respect of you and you interest in the stuff I love, ut you're missing my point here.

Fanboysm is being blindly attached to anything, without any critic thinking capability.

I've have being sayng stuff such as "KOFXII is a complete and perfect game, I love it, STFU NOOB?"

No.

I called it a demo. And then I elaborated my points with serious, articulated and logical assumptions.

Fanboysm is saying "no Mai no buy" as a spoiled brat who just care about his fav chara (or, her boobs). BT<W, you missed KOFXII also missed my 'beloved' stoyline?

Have I been bitchin' about that?
Have I ever wrote "no story, no boss, no buy"?

Guess again: no.

I tried to get the whole picture of the case with both common sense and understanding a 'loyal fan who'd like to self-declare himself an expertise' should be supposed to.

No offense taken of corse, an good Italian from your side, but I sincerely fail to see where the fanboy stance fit in such a behavior. :)