KOF XII or XIII

WHAT DO YOU THINK

• Total voters

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
from grave:

Exactly, graphically KOFXII is leagues and bounds above XIII. That's just graphics, XII had a tighter combat system which was new but at the same time drew from the days of yore. The counter system was also new and cool, the critical counter was a god idea, it could have gone further.

What happened with KOFXIII was basically a regression, they basically just went back to their 98 format, basically just slap an older game engine, which is ok, KOFXIII is a good game but definitely steps backwards, you are either blind or haven't played KOFXII enough to tell the difference. KOFXIII single player experience is a bummer, it sucks, but play it versus proficiently and watch the sparks fly.

I'm just scratching the surface here, we could go into details character by character and I could explain to you how the changes were a step backwards in order to sell better 'cause SNKP has always dealth with that wishy washy notion of listening to the fans, the problem is that most fans don't really know what they want, they think they want the same old KOF and that's why KOFXIII is so bare bones in terms of gameplay compared t KOFXII...

...it's pretty fucken sad that I have to explain this...

Edit: KOF XII was basically Fatal Fury Special vs Art of Fighting 95'...it has that feel but the new gameplay elements and rushdown combos mae it great like SF Alpha 2 was in terms of crazy custom cornertraps and crazy eye catching combos. If only KOFXII have had Young Geese AOF2 as the boss and with an improved AI everyone would be loving KOFXII, it's a shame, really.

Edit 2: If KOFXIII had a least left the Zooming action from XII intact or at the very least keep the sprites clean KOF XIII could be one of the greatest last hurrahs on SNK fighting games. Gameplay is great, it's nothing new but it plays very smooth.

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
Kof iii, everything is tighter and much better character selection, stages.

On a side note, all these polls are making me rock hard. #rockthevote

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'm just scratching the surface here, we could go into details character by character and I could explain to you how the changes were a step backwards in order to sell better

Hey grave, now that we're here, fuckin do this, thanks

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
XII looks great and plays okay but it's just missing so many basic features and characters.

XIII plays better, looks pretty good, and is pretty feature complete

It's not even a question

XIII all day

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You missed my point entirely, is not that KOFXII is better or worse than XIII. People will tell you that XIII plays better simply 'cause it plays like good old KOF, they basically butchered XII to make XIII along with old KOF fighting engine.

The sole reason you people think XIII plays better it's the single player experience, which is laughable 'cause you're not looking a the game objectively but whatever, if you enjoy it that's great, XIII is a great game even with them blurry as hell character sprites. The system is great, it's solid just like 98 and what have you.

XII tried to do something different, it didn't feel complete enough in the sense of roster and single player experience but the mechanics are awesome and it's something new, plus the main 3 levels of Zooming are amazing, I can't believe people don't notice the shit, I bet they don't even know that the X360 XII has a mismatch pixel count while the PS3 has a perfect pixel count. Little things man...

My beef with XIII is not taking the things that made XII awesome and running with them, all they did was shop the sprites from the smallest zoom and work their "new" engine in. It was a good solution for the KOF fanboys, same fanboys that were bitching about 99 when it came out. People suck!

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
still haven't played any of these. i was never really in any rush to play kof xii/xiii considering that i never get bored of the original neo releases. but i'll crack open xiii once i get a good stick for the 360.

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
still haven't played any of these. i was never really in any rush to play kof xii/xiii considering that i never get bored of the original neo releases. but i'll crack open xii once i get a good stick for the 360.

You mean XIII.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Call me casual but I really can't notice these said differences in gameplay. It's an unfinished KOF, a teaser of sorts. KOFXIII is better hands down but that's only because it's finished in comparison to XII IMO.

These discussions are for people who care enough to notice how many frames a move is. Pixel counts? I didn't even know that was a point to pick at until the last few months and I've got to say it's because of you EG. I still have no idea what a pixel count means for me gameplay wise and I'm likely not to ever notice. I'm betting the pixel counts were all fucked up in the many PS1/2 ports of our favorite games?

I can't believe people actually give a shit.

Darknb

n00b
XII was a demo for XIII, there is no escaping that. Both are a huge step back from XI.

2002 is for hipster scum.:smirk:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Call me casual but I really can't notice these said differences in gameplay. It's an unfinished KOF, a teaser of sorts. KOFXIII is better hands down but that's only because it's finished in comparison to XII IMO.

These discussions are for people who care enough to notice how many frames a move is. Pixel counts? I didn't even know that was a point to pick at until the last few months and I've got to say it's because of you EG. I still have no idea what a pixel count means for me gameplay wise and I'm likely not to ever notice. I'm betting the pixel counts were all fucked up in the many PS1/2 ports of our favorite games?

If you can't tell the difference gameplay wise from the two then you're just as casual as the hipsters that keep coming into the hobby.

That's not even touching the pixel count subject which is only a graphical difference and if you can't tell when pixels are uniform or not I salute you 'cause Ignorance is bliss...sometimes.

You're all a fucking lolfest...it's pretty sad.

XII was a demo for XIII, there is no escaping that. Both are a huge step back from XI.

2002 is for hipster scum.:smirk:

When the demo looks and plays fresher than the finished product you have a problem...to be honest both games are very different. They just used the zomed out character sprites from XII, that is all, no demo, no continuation, they play extremely different.

Edit:...and 2002 was a great KOF, beefy Shermie al day, fucking noob...

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
They just used the zomed out character sprites from XII, that is all, no demo, no continuation, they play extremely different.

Those huge, beautifully detailed sprites from XII made my jaw drop when I first popped it in and XIII using the tiny, zoomed out versions never made any sense to me. I can see a point gameplay-wise of zooming them out to have a larger playfield, but why they chose to leave them constantly zoomed out except for certain supers is beyond me. I pop in XII occasionally just to view that eye-candy alone.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

Some people make spreadsheets for their characters.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
XII gave us crush counters before crush counters were cool.

Seriously, the counter, clash, and guard attack systems in XII were awesome. It's such a shame they dropped those ideas. I would have liked to see them get more refined. Instead we got boring HD combos that never end.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Some people make spreadsheets for their characters.

Alphabetised dvd/bluray collection lists, cartridges owned, figurines ... the list goes on I am sure. I cringe at the thought.