KoF XI General Discussion and Gameplay

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I received my copy of KoF XI for PS2 a week ago and have been playing a lot since then... to be blunt, I haven't seen the light yet.

After reading lots of praises about the game I couldn't wait to try it but then the first hour felt like a cold (or let's say luke-warm) shower... I like the more relaxed combo timing, reminds me of RBFF in a way, then again, you can do really cheap and nasty things with tag combos, if you have Tizoc and Gato in your team and know a thing or two about that, your opponent will be toast if he makes a single mistake.

Still, the tag combos are what I find the most interesting change in XI, found out some really cool stuff in practice mode last night. In a way, XI's tag system looks like a combination of strikers and tagging, it's more "aggressive" than in 2k3, which is good.

LDMs - could live without them but some of them are interesting to use.

Eiji is in it, which is a big plus, feels good to ninja-rush through my poor opps again. More of that, Playmore!

Roster is cool overall, still have probs with some of the new faces, tho.

Graphics - backs are of mixed quality IMO but I like most of them. Old sprites, the PS2 version has several adjustable levels of anti-aliasing and soft display options but that crap only makes things worse IMO... activating anti-aliasing also caused slowdowns in KoF NW, I wonder if it's the same in XI, the latter seems to have a different engine so perhaps they solved the problem.

Music - not bad, the arranged PS2 tracks are quite nice as well.

Intro - ugh, boring.

Many people already stated that they rate XI as the best game SNKP put out so far but at the moment I still prefer KoF NW over it, even if it's only an update to 2k2.

That may change tho, normally I need to play a new KoF at least two or three months to come to a final verdict...

Thoughts?

_Exiled_

Overtop Pathfinder
It's a really fun game. Speed and gameplay almost remind me of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 in a way. I wonder how KOF 2007 is gonna be like next yr and what new stuff they're gonna put in.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Yeah, but what is it that makes XI superior in peoples' eyes compared to the recent lineup of SNKP games like KoF2k3, NGBC or KoF NW?

Don't get me wrong guys, I have fun with XI so far but I still can't see what makes it special.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Part of my enjoyment with the game is that it's the first good KoF I've played since 2003, so it'll take me a few months for me to really decide for sure if it's Playmore's best game they've put out. I guess overall though the game feels balanced, not cheap in any way, and fast all around. Adding the challenge mode is a nice touch, even if some of the challenges are a bitch.:mad:

That said, as always there are character 'tiers' here. Which characters are most people playing as and/or should be considered top tier? So far I'm using Kula, Oswald, Ryo, King, Terry and Iori, but I definitely like what I've seen so far from characters like Vanessa, Ramon, Gato and Mary.

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
Takumaji said:
Yeah, but what is it that makes XI superior in peoples' eyes compared to the recent lineup of SNKP games like KoF2k3, NGBC or KoF NW?

Don't get me wrong guys, I have fun with XI so far but I still can't see what makes it special.

dont know, maybe because some people like me thought 2k3 was pretty bad actually. it did have its briliant points, but then again what kof doesnt. as a total package it wasnt all that, at least the endings where pretty good. art wasnt all that. KOFXI still has that ugly ass art but its a better game then 2k3. its more fluid, feels directer and just more complete. SCV was really terrible for me, those 100% and infinites, not to mention the fucked up gameplay and hit detection, soundeffects. NW, really dont know why people like it soo much, its almost a coppy of 2k2. i got it on ps2, never play it though.

Rengoku

Duck King's DJ
kof xi is great best game so far from last 5 years from snkp
but you should open your mind that kof isn't kof anymore

and it have to be as it <------

'cause getting pretty the same game every year was getting boring..
kofXI is fresh air compared to the stinky previous (and the crappy 2k3)

btw dont go so fast telling that tag combos are cheap..yes with this easy tag in you can do great things but the skill stock system is wide so you have to use (and to waste) skill stock for many purposes so not so easy in vs combos allowed

btw if you all are interested into exploring the game in deep we can start talking..

CarlosZ

Mickey's Coach
kof XI is just refined version of all the positives of all the other kof's, well that's the way i look at it. Character roster is cool, duck king, geese in ps2, older characters. The combos are awesome in the game as well.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Rengoku said:
kbtw if you all are interested into exploring the game in deep we can start talking..

Yeah man, let's get it on, I want to see who's still posting in here after a few more in-depth posts... normally it's me who drives ppl away with tech talk. :)

I find XI's tag combos cheap so far because some of them are very easy to set up... almost too easy. I like 2k2 (and NW to some extend) for a core gameplay element (BC cancels) that is not as simple and cheap to use as most of the highly damaging tag combo setups in XI... and that comes from someone who doesn't particularly like 2k2's BC cancels.

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
I finally got my copy of KOFXI, but I'm still saving up for a ps2 mod. I have played it in the arcade which the gameplay was much like an improved KOF2k3. Anyway since I can't play the game right now I've ripped the music off the disc using psxmc. I have to agree that the arranged ps2 tracks are great. I've also happened to come across B. Jenet's theme, which I'm assuming is an additional track.

Last edited:

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
I love this game alot. In terms of the gameplay with big combos, it reminds me of King of Fighters 2000 (Combofest 2000) with a updated 2k3 tag system.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Takumaji said:
I find XI's tag combos cheap so far because some of them are very easy to set up... almost too easy. I like 2k2 (and NW to some extend) for a core gameplay element (BC cancels) that is not as simple and cheap to use as most of the highly damaging tag combo setups in XI... and that comes from someone who doesn't particularly like 2k2's BC cancels.

if the combos are too cheap, break them. Remember that the Saving Shift lets you tag in someone while you're getting hit by ground-based attacks that aren't DM's and stuff. Sure it takes both stocks, but sometimes it's well-worth it, and the first stock will charge back up rather quickly anyway. And besides, since Quick Shifts require skill stocks too, it's not like you get a free switch in a combo EVERY TIME there's an opening...

Rengoku

Duck King's DJ
Takumaji said:
Yeah man, let's get it on, I want to see who's still posting in here after a few more in-depth posts... normally it's me who drives ppl away with tech talk. :)

yes overall all of the tags are cheap..but as BC combos were in 2k2
most of them btw are for showoff or used if you completely own your foe
few are the pratical one

skill stock charges automatically but you have to save them for many purposes..first of all for save shift (AC / BD while getting hitted) that waste 2 of these
btw 1°st skill charges after 10 secs 2nd after 15 so in 25 secs (real time eh not time counter in game) you have your full potential

Alex Neuco

Quiz Detective
CarlosZ said:
kof XI is just refined version of all the positives of all the other kof's, well that's the way i look at it. Character roster is cool, duck king, geese in ps2, older characters. The combos are awesome in the game as well.
That is exactly how I feel. I mean, I'm not saying KOF XI is the best KOF, but it is very good and exciting, and somehow feels "new" again (even though it isn't).

derboo

Crazed MVS Addict
Does anyone know the Teams for these Special Ending Pics?

天童凱
ショー疾風
邪頭
ズイルビ
NEW CHALLENGER

bloodhokuto

&#1052;&#1077;&#1085;&#1103; &#1079;&#1086;&#1074;
15 Year Member
Ok, I have 2 questions, but first of all I must say that I do like this game, not that there is any 1 thing per-se that makes it mind blowing or everything, it just seems the most 'complete' KOF for a while - one that make it's terms with the new hardware.

Anyways, for some reason I really like playing as Momoko, but am not sure how to pull off her multi-button special moves - do you have to press them in order (like doing a Raging Demon with Gouki)?

Also I got to Magaki really easily (in fact a little too easily to be honest), however when I face him, he seems so hard to beat, bearing in mind that he can pretty much run the show from afar and then make the whole screen explode. I have managed to get him down to a minimal energy level, but snuffed it in the last moments. Does anyone have any hints?

Rengoku

Duck King's DJ
are you talking about momoko's doremi canto dm?
just tap buttons as she hit opponent..
like a deadly rave dm
it's not so difficult

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Momoko's singing supers are pretty easy, but the most common mistake people make is doing it way too fast.

It's easiest to do if you can actually hear her. This is because your button taps are actually in time with each note she sings (which also corresponds with the hits). So in actuality, the button presses are done slow. Many people drop the super because they get ahead of it and press a button too far into the string, which registers the wrong button and it stops.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
YeldellGW said:
Sounds alot like Lilith's Gloomy Puppet Show. Interesting...

Not really. It's much more like Athena's Psychic 9, but a bit more obvious in timing because she sings with each hit, technically.

Lilith's Gloomy Puppet Show is more like Parappa. You're given a rythm to tap out on a chosen static sequence, and then after the first example, you kind of follow the pattern until it's over.

bloodhokuto

&#1052;&#1077;&#1085;&#1103; &#1079;&#1086;&#1074;
15 Year Member
Thanks for the tips - I just kind of didn't notice that the button sequences follow the special move.

I can pull it off now and i quite like it.

I still have problems with the boss though :(

YeldellGW

Bartender,
20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:
Not really. It's much more like Athena's Psychic 9, but a bit more obvious in timing because she sings with each hit, technically.

Lilith's Gloomy Puppet Show is more like Parappa. You're given a rythm to tap out on a chosen static sequence, and then after the first example, you kind of follow the pattern until it's over.

Personally I recall having to time the taps with each button that lit up during the sequence in order to get the sequence correct.

Meh, it's been months since I played Vampire Savior.

Anyway back on topic, what changes/additions have the returning cast from 2003 received?

The only changes I've heard were that Kyo regained his projectile (Boo!), Athena regained her command throw (Another boo!), Duo Lon was toned down and Ash's projectile has more lag after it.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
I love this game.

It did take me a while to get into it, but once I did I was hooked.

I just started a gaming session, and planned to start off with a little KOF XI before moving onto other stuff. I never moved onto anything....

I'm stuck on challenge 31 though. I got the CPU down to zero damage with a 3 person combo (OK, I scrubbed the last part with K') but it wasn't enough to do the 50% damage required. Now I am trying to perfect a Tung > Whip > K' combo but it is very difficult.

Are there any easy ways to beat this challenge or do I just need to really master the combo I am working on?

breal

Hardened Shock Trooper
I played it for the first time last weekend. The game is okay but it's some shit going on that shouldn't be. I was playing with Clark and was consistently getting short kicked out of my roll. So that let me know that the roll is no longer priority. With the roll no longer being invincible, it's easy to whore somebody out with a short jump rushdown in the first round. If you lead with the right character you can easily dominate the beginning of the match because of the short jump. I have never seen a kof where the short jump can run a match but you can get short kicked out of a roll. Then if you're getting rushdowned against the wall in the first round you don't build up meter enough to bc counter, so basically you have to be a helluva defensive player or chalk that first round up as an L.

It's a fun game but in no way is one of the best kofs imo.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Well I finally played the game last night. I had the game since a week after it came out but I was FINALLY able to get my slidecard to play it.

I found out after watching the videos that I REALLY need a good stick, I can't preform those fast combos with a PS2 Pad. I have an X-Arcade stick that I'm thinking about getting rid of, I can't do a double fireball motion with it anymore and I'd rather try to sell that piece of shit on EBay and buy a Real Arcade Pro.

First thing I did was unlock Hotaru, I don't like what they did with her new stances, beacause I wanted her to play just like she did in Garou. But I think with some practice I can get used to the changes.

Today I'm going to focus on trying to beating the challange mode with the FAQ I printed out, I really suck at KOF because I have NOBODY to play the game against and for me I think that's the only way you can get better. So hopefully the challanges will help me out in time for Otakon.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
breal said:
I played it for the first time last weekend. The game is okay but it's some shit going on that shouldn't be. I was playing with Clark and was consistently getting short kicked out of my roll. So that let me know that the roll is no longer priority. With the roll no longer being invincible, it's easy to whore somebody out with a short jump rushdown in the first round. If you lead with the right character you can easily dominate the beginning of the match because of the short jump. I have never seen a kof where the short jump can run a match but you can get short kicked out of a roll. Then if you're getting rushdowned against the wall in the first round you don't build up meter enough to bc counter, so basically you have to be a helluva defensive player or chalk that first round up as an L.

It's a fun game but in no way is one of the best kofs imo.

Wow. Just wow.

Rolls DO have plenty of invincibility still. Being out of the KoF loop for a while I don't know how the rolls compare to the previous years, but you can still roll through plenty of shit. Hell, yesterday I was playing against someone's who's main gameplan was to run away like a bitch with Clark and whore jumping E, and then whenever I got close he would roll into hcf+K. Yes, you can still roll into command grab. And if you're cornered, you CAN roll out. Seriously. The only roll that has no invincibility whatsoever is the FORWARD recovery roll after you get knocked down.

As for hop jumps, yes there are characters that can rushdown very easily with repeated hop jumps. But there are always ways around this stuff, try a fast anti-air poke or a vertical jump attack. Rolling against hop jumps is not advisable because it doesn't really get you anywhere, they'll be on the ground before you recover.

hanafudaX said:
I'm stuck on challenge 31 though. I got the CPU down to zero damage with a 3 person combo (OK, I scrubbed the last part with K') but it wasn't enough to do the 50% damage required. Now I am trying to perfect a Tung > Whip > K' combo but it is very difficult.

Are there any easy ways to beat this challenge or do I just need to really master the combo I am working on?

This challenge can be done with Shen/King (no need for a third character)

start with Shen. Jumping D, stand C, f + B, qcf + C, QS into King, jumping D, stand D (2 hits), df+D, rdp + D. That's it. (I think you have to be in the corner though to get both hits off King's Standing D. You can also super cancel off the rdp+K into either one of her DM's, but it's not necessary)