KOF '98 Ultimate Match Released For PS2!

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
wow, interesting point there... i set it on level 1 just to go thru on unlocking everyone.. and yeah, it was kinda hard.. im gonna try to set it to level 7 now

How did you get on? The cpu AI is so cheap on the easier difficulty settings, yet on expert it puts up a fair challenge. The only downside to expert is the cpu will invariably try to catch you out with SDM's, but at least it's more playable at this level imo.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Is it me or does it seem to have random long load times? Seriously, it seems that you can get stuck staring at the end of a character's win animation for around 10 seconds before the screen goes black, and then have to wait another 5 seconds before it comes back up with the new character loaded. It seems that there's a 25% chance of it happening. Sometimes it gets really annoying.

When it doesn't get stuck like that, it loads in about 2 seconds, so the transition is barely noticeable if it even is at all.

I haven't noticed that. In fact, I haven't noticed any load times at all once the game is up and running. Obviously it loads in the background while the pre-fight stuff is going on, but other than that, nothing. What hardware are you running it on?

As for the difficulty level issue, tonight I fired it up on level 6, and got my ass handed to me. I didn't get past the first match. Then I dropped the level down to 5 and started again, and got all the way through to Rugal without too much trouble. Rugal is a tough nut though...

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
As for the difficulty level issue, tonight I fired it up on level 6, and got my ass handed to me. I didn't get past the first match. Then I dropped the level down to 5 and started again, and got all the way through to Rugal without too much trouble. Rugal is a tough nut though...

Weird. With the copy i have it's definitely easier to get through to rugal on level 7 than level 1... on either level Rugal is nuts hard to beat...

ckchan

Shlong King,
20 Year Member
I played this game for a while. A good port to me. Everything is nearly perfect!

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
okay, i tried Level 7 and then back to Level 1... i think tarma is on to something here... it's prolly just my imagination as well, but seemingly "Level 7" and "1" got switched by accident...

EDIT:
here's an interesting theory, the neo games go up to LEVEL 8, but UM goes only up to LEVEL7, and as noticed, pressing next from 7 goes back to 1.... there could be a 'mix-up' that level 1 = Level-8

or maybe 7 = 1, 1 = 7, mixup

Last edited:

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
okay, i tried Level 7 and then back to Level 1... i think tarma is on to something here... it's prolly just my imagination as well, but seemingly "Level 7" and "1" got switched by accident...

EDIT:
here's an interesting theory, the neo games go up to LEVEL 8, but UM goes only up to LEVEL7, and as noticed, pressing next from 7 goes back to 1.... there could be a 'mix-up' that level 1 = Level-8

or maybe 7 = 1, 1 = 7, mixup

Hmmmmm.... possibly... However, the cpu is a lot more creative on level 7 than level 1. On level 1 it's just cheap and frustrating. Other low difficulty settings are also pretty cheap. Level 7 presents a challenge, BUT, the cpu tries to be more creative in its attack/defence.

I'll fire up KoF '97 (Orochi Saga) when I get home and see if the cpu is the same on that.

hanafuda

Weird. With the copy i have it's definitely easier to get through to rugal on level 7 than level 1... on either level Rugal is nuts hard to beat...

Wait.

You have a point.

Level 1 is nuts.

Level 2 is no joke either.

I think we should rank the difficulty levels.

Also, anyone beaten challenge #9???

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Wait.

You have a point.

Level 1 is nuts.

Level 2 is no joke either.

I think we should rank the difficulty levels.

Also, anyone beaten challenge #9???

Well I've just played KoF '97 on Expert and got my ass handed to me in the first fight... I did get down to the last cpu team member but it was pretty tough.

KoF '98 is just messed up I guess.

Takahashi

n00b
How To Play: The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match

http://www.vimeo.com/1379759

I made an How To Play video for The King of Fighters '98 Ultimate Match.

I tried to simplify as much as possible
so the majority of the people should be able to understand it.

Last edited:

hanafuda

OK, I have now beaten all challenges up to 21.

20 was amazingly technical, but awesome too.

Also unlocked Goenitz by beating him in a straight run. He is way easier to beat than Rugal.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I don't like it, feels just like another rehash of Dream match 99' to me.
Graphics i've seen years before.
Music i've heard years before.
And no notable gameplay improvements IMO.

Good that I still own the original '98 on NGH.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
EX characters are already unlocked. The only ones to unlock are the Orochi versions of Iori and Leona, Orochi himself and Goenitz.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
EX characters are already unlocked. The only ones to unlock are the Orochi versions of Iori and Leona, Orochi himself and Goenitz.

Orochi Iori/Leona fall under the category of (ridiculous) EX characters, for me. Except lame, as they're not actually any different beyond speed and a weak sprite edit.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Sounds like it's pretty good. I want to try it out myself. I hear the Kong Man Center in NYC got the game in on their Taito arcade unit, they used to have Regulation A and now they got 98UM in. Should be worth checking out.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I don't like it, feels just like another rehash of Dream match 99' to me.
Graphics i've seen years before.
Music i've heard years before.
And no notable gameplay improvements IMO.

Good that I still own the original '98 on NGH.

That man speaks the truth.

The best thing Ultimate Match has, is the "Neo Geo Mode".

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Best thing that 98UM has is the ability to make Neo "purists" get pissy that there's a version of their "priceless treasure" with more content for less money.

Chunky Lover 53

Fio's Quartermaster
Best thing that 98UM has is the ability to make Neo "purists" get pissy that there's a version of their "priceless treasure" with more content for less money.

That man speaks the truth.
I love this game and it only cost fifty bucks. :lolz: