KOF '98 Ultimate Match Released For PS2!

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
It's everything it should be.

BTW, KOF98 was never all that balanced to begin with. I seem to recall Daimon and Chris taking top honors back in the day.

And hell, there's even an option to make Random Select exclude bosses and/or new characters, if you don't want them.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
It's everything it should be.

BTW, KOF98 was never all that balanced to begin with. I seem to recall Daimon and Chris taking top honors back in the day.

And hell, there's even an option to make Random Select exclude bosses and/or new characters, if you don't want them.

If people wanted to play the game without the messed up characters, why not just play the original rom on kaillera for free?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
If people wanted to play the game without the messed up characters, why not just play the original rom on kaillera for free?

Some people are just stupid, I guess. Nice to see that SNKP caters even to its most thick-headed fans.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
rarehero and I are currently messing around in it. What are some noteworthy engine changes? For me it seems to be, character is slightly faster in ADV's powerup mode, less hit damage...

BTW I really like how the CPU doesn't only pick ADV mode now!

edit: How do you enable progressive scan?

edit 2: to be picky, I hate how the music ends and restarts in Arranged mode. For crying out loud, I thought that bullshit was fixed back in KOF Evolution (99's DC port).

edit 3: If anyone in the Dallas area wants to come play it PM or IM me :>

Last edited:

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Damn, almost makes me want to go out and get another JPN PS2 for this. Oh well...I'm still perfectly happy with original 98. Maybe when it hits here I'll pick up a domestic PS2 and a copy of the game cheep. Cant wait to hear more feedback on the rebalancing. Keep it coming guys. Game looks great!

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic

They can always do that, but the game here is a lot different to the original KOF '98.

So I finally got my copy today, along with the freebie Mai fan.

I'm playing on a Jap PS3.

As for the arranged music, I switched to this after only one play with the arcade version music. The latter is awful, while the former is awesome. I don't really have an issue with it restarting: sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't, depending on circumstances. If it did that at the start of each round then I would be pissed, but it doesn't, so no big deal. It's only shorter 'team' themes that suffer from this.

No loading between character changes!

Love the new (?) intro for Shermie Vs Brian Battler.

Goenitz is the man, and his new presentation in this is better than his outing in '96.

Only played the arcade release of UM a few times, but I can see I'm going to be playing this a lot. Only cost me 4,500 Yen, which is about 42.5 USD.

Going back for some more.

caleb1883

Super Spy Agent
Balance is a joke if you ask me. It is balanced if you pick old chars vs old chars.

Pick Krauser, Ex King and Ex Geese and you've got a triple-cheese team.

I would think EX characters would be banned from tournament play.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I would think EX characters would be banned from tournament play.

That doesn't make sense.

Everyone used Ex Terry, Orochi chris, Orochi Yash, Ex Ryo back in the day and it wasn't the end of the world.

The game is just more broken now than it used to be.

Annatar

Kabuki Klasher
I am also waiting for my copy, i hope this is gonna be as good as it looks:)

Seijuro Hiko

Camel Slug
I've got it yesterday and it's really great!

I heard that Terry would have his Buster Wolf in this version, but it doesn't seem like it. :(

Can someone confirm?

kshira

Crazed MVS Addict
Does anyone know about when the Euro release date (if there is one) will be?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Can someone please tell me why the CPU AI is easier to defeat on Level 7 (expert) than Level 1 (Beginner)?? Maybe it's just my copy, but on 1 Player Expert I can breeze through to Omega Rugal, and believe me, I ain't no KoF expert!! Stupid game.

How do you unlock Orochi, Goenitz etc???

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
At system start-up hold down Triangle and Cross untill the Progressive Scan menu shows up.

Yeah I figured it out. I use a Swap Magic, so for those that use one too, boot the Swap Magic as normal, put in your game, hold Triangle, then press X, and hold both until the confirmation screen pops up. I believe "yes" is the option on the left, and "no" is on the right.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
No loading between character changes!

Is it me or does it seem to have random long load times? Seriously, it seems that you can get stuck staring at the end of a character's win animation for around 10 seconds before the screen goes black, and then have to wait another 5 seconds before it comes back up with the new character loaded. It seems that there's a 25% chance of it happening. Sometimes it gets really annoying.

When it doesn't get stuck like that, it loads in about 2 seconds, so the transition is barely noticeable if it even is at all.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Is it me or does it seem to have random long load times? Seriously, it seems that you can get stuck staring at the end of a character's win animation for around 10 seconds before the screen goes black, and then have to wait another 5 seconds before it comes back up with the new character loaded. It seems that there's a 25% chance of it happening. Sometimes it gets really annoying.

When it doesn't get stuck like that, it loads in about 2 seconds, so the transition is barely noticeable if it even is at all.

I've kind of noticed this but only in neo geo mode.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
This looks really interesting. Can you play without the new energy bars and all that shizz?

T

thesnake383

This is definitely what KOF 98 should have been. Since the Dreamcast version, I always wondered where the other characters went. (Kasumi, Goenitz, Orochi, Eiji)

roninbuddha

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
Can someone please tell me why the CPU AI is easier to defeat on Level 7 (expert) than Level 1 (Beginner)?? Maybe it's just my copy, but on 1 Player Expert I can breeze through to Omega Rugal, and believe me, I ain't no KoF expert!! Stupid game.

How do you unlock Orochi, Goenitz etc???

wow, interesting point there... i set it on level 1 just to go thru on unlocking everyone.. and yeah, it was kinda hard.. im gonna try to set it to level 7 now

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
wow, interesting point there... i set it on level 1 just to go thru on unlocking everyone.. and yeah, it was kinda hard.. im gonna try to set it to level 7 now

man where the hell have you been