Keep KOF2K on NeoGeo!

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iie-Kyo:
I do not understand the PSX translations of KoF '98 and '99.

My friend has a burned copy of each. Before you jump down my throat about owning the real thing and all, let me explain to you something I noticed about the burns.

The burn line for each game only takes up about HALF the CD.

You know what this means? You got that right, the other half is completely EMPTY!

This meant for some insane strange reason, SNK cut out a ton of frames in the PSX version.

I just don't understand this. Did SNK cut the animations in the game in half to reduce loading times or something? I always thought that SNK simply didn't have enough room on the PSX CD to implement the animations and therefore decided to cut corners (like they did with KOF 2K) to fit the entire game onto the CD.

And dangit, why did they have to stop making Mai's boobs bouncy in the US version but they let the Japanese guys stare at her boobs?

The frames of animation were reduced because the PSX didn't have enough Video Ram to display them all (we're talking a simple 4 megs here!).

I think it is mainly because they want to cut load times. It would have been nice if they found a way around it though so that they didn't have to cut anything.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeoLord:
The frames of animation were reduced because the PSX didn't have enough Video Ram to display them all (we're talking a simple 4 megs here!).

Ah, that explains it.

I dunno though, we all know Squaresoft's ability to take the PSX to its limits and beyond... I still don't know how those guys do it...

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

Ragnarok

Quiz Detective
They did that for the lack of RAM. Funnilly enough, the PS2 have the same limitation so it will sux with 2D games, including fighters.

But believe it or not, SNK have done a great job with the console ports of KOF over the years. Someone had played PSX Kof'96?

Those are sprite cuts and longs loading times!!

------------------
I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day.
Tomorrow's not looking good either.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeoLord:

ehhh, 2 megs. Yes, sadder than you think...

------------------
31436715.jpg

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by samuraiX:
I think it is mainly because they want to cut load times. It would have been nice if they found a way around it though so that they didn't have to cut anything.

The Video Ram was the main reason, Samurai X. This has been documented in both print and on-line magazines. Sad but true! SNK's sprites are huge, and even though games like Castlevania X had beautiful animation, you have to take into account that those sprites were much smaller in size.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
2 megs?! Are you serious!??!?!

No wonder....

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Yeah, i was talking about the main ram. 1 MB of VRAM is still REALLY REALLY REALLY Sad. The neo will prevail! Go KOF2K Jap Cart in Neo's Cabinet which has 88.5 MB of RAM ON IT YAY! Dance with me now!

okay fine don't... assholes...

------------------
31436715.jpg

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeoGML:
Yeah, i was talking about the main ram. 1 MB of VRAM is still REALLY REALLY REALLY Sad. The neo will prevail! Go KOF2K Jap Cart in Neo's Cabinet which has 88.5 MB of RAM ON IT YAY! Dance with me now!

okay fine don't... assholes...

I was talking about the PSX's VRam, not its system Ram! lololol Anyway....

Watch me dance!!! Yeehaaaw!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by NeoLord (edited April 15, 2001).]

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
FAQ:

How much VRAM does the Neo-Geo system have anyway? Or is it a completely different thing in the Neo-Geo side?

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

Nari

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Mai's bounciness is only tip of the iceberg....most obvious frames/memory saving measure - removal of SDMs. Modifications of moves and DMs - King's finishing move of her illusion dance being reduced to a cut and paste frames of her stand far b and jump b and Kim's cahnge to repeated flip kicks instead. Whip also lost her gun move...

Since we are on technicalities here, given DC's higher memory count perfect arcade ports of neo geo games should not be a problem? Besides, Neogeo games are always below 1GB......In addition I always wonder whether it is possible to squeeze, let's say the entire AoF or LB series onto one GD-R disc?

------------------
"I can't lose. For nature's sake"

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
Mai's bounciness is only disabled in the U.S. version of 2k. Somebody here has the Japanese cart and her bounciness is still there.

*sniff*

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

koolking

Super Spy Agent
But if the port 2k to other systems they actually might make some money from it. Like the 99 on psx was crap because it was so choopy but the PS2 or Xbox should be able to handle full frame rates as they have hard drives.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
You haven't read koolking that the PS2 has the same VRAM limitation as the PSX. The PS2 was geared toward 3D stuff, not 2D fighters. That's why a port of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was ruled off before. I remember some guys at ON.com previously talking about it and they went into so much technical detail I started getting lost.

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

shin-kyo

Lurker, ,
I hope to see some ports for Xbox if not DC, man with that harddrive just imagine PERFECT NEO Ports.
biggrin.gif

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
a hard drive wouldnt matter, it would make no difference. its the amount of vram you have. no neo game is over 100megabytes which is less than a 6th of a cd, a 10th of a GD, and like a 40th of a dvd. so its not the storage, its the ram. thats why ps/ps2 suck for 2d 1meg/4megs of vram. Even saturn has more 2megs/6megs with the ram cart. DC has 16megs which should be enough for most neo games, i dont knoe how much xbox and gc have though.

Black_Hayato

Cheng's Errand Boy
This is why the Dreamcast is the greatest fighting machine on earth, next to the neo. It does 3d and 2d, without a bilion add-ons.

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nari:
Mai's bounciness is only tip of the iceberg....most obvious frames/memory saving measure - removal of SDMs. Modifications of moves and DMs - King's finishing move of her illusion dance being reduced to a cut and paste frames of her stand far b and jump b and Kim's cahnge to repeated flip kicks instead. Whip also lost her gun move...

Since we are on technicalities here, given DC's higher memory count perfect arcade ports of neo geo games should not be a problem? Besides, Neogeo games are always below 1GB......In addition I always wonder whether it is possible to squeeze, let's say the entire AoF or LB series onto one GD-R disc?

Ehh, whip didn't lose her gun move, i remember her shooting me the other day. Lil whore...

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Mai's bounciness is only disabled in the U.S. version of 2k. Somebody here has the Japanese cart and her
bounciness is still there.

*sniff*

Muahahahahahah! Japanese Carts RULE! Besides, it's not worth the extra $60~100 so that i can read garbled english with 2nd grade grammar. The entire "SNK International Dept." should be caned. Foolish people...

------------------
31436715.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NeoGML:
Muahahahahahah! Japanese Carts RULE! Besides, it's not worth the extra $60~100 so that i can read garbled english with 2nd grade grammar. The entire "SNK International Dept." should be caned. Foolish people...

Half of being an American SNK fan is knowing and loving SNKglish. A game with SNK characters in it just doesn't feel right without random bits of psycho-garble.

Iie-Kyo

Morden's Lackey
You can bank on it!

Sorry, it was just so tempting!
smile.gif

------------------
"Ore no, kachi da!!!"

Nari

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Whip's gun move still in 2k or is it only for Jap carts? Anyway, I wonder why SNk created this move in '99 but forgot to assign any damage to it.

I thot home carts also have multi-lingual support? Jap home carts only features Jap (no spanish, english etc.)?

------------------
"I can't lose. For nature's sake"

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
Well, my JAP cart of KOF2K can display english (on a JAP system) if i set it on the options menu. Almost ALL Neo carts became multilingual after about 93~94(?). Maybe a little later, but i'm not sure.

------------------
31436715.jpg