Just bought an MVS 2-slot cab. What do I need to know?

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
Congratulations, I wish I could find such things in Spain so easily as it appears to happen in other parts of the globe.

pmindemann

New Challenger
Congratulations, I wish I could find such things in Spain so easily as it appears to happen in other parts of the globe.

Thanks! Yeah, this one was only 45 minutes from where I live, and the company delivered and unloaded it for me. BUT, I've wanted this since I was a teenage, and I'm now 40, so it's not like it happened overnight. Hopefully you'll find yours soon enough.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
That's awesome. Congrats! Do you find you stand, or sit at your cab most often? I find I'm a tad too tall for my Big Red (if I was building it from scratch), but the Candy Cab style always seemed to me like the angle of the screen would be too shallow to sit while playing, yet the cabinet was too short to stand. How does it work for you?

I always sit, i think i'm average in height and the angle of the screen doesn't bother me at al. This way i can game on it for hours (which i do allot). Friends never complain about it either. Standing would be terrible since the CP is way to low for that, unless you are very smal.

pmindemann

New Challenger
Congrats on the red machine she is a beaut.:)

Much appreciated! Here's an updated pic with the cab in the back of my theater room. I don't really have a terrific place for it, but just having it is all that matters... ;)

IMG_2093.JPG

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Your Big Red must rock!
I have some work to do on my own and your list a bit overwhelming!

How did you replace the IL marquee light up panels? Mine isn't working but I'd like to fix it.

Why did you want a new power supply? Was the old one dead? Or just old?
Same reason for the flyback?

Did new speakers make a big difference?

Things I did when I bought my 4-slot cab:

1: Removed the control panel and powder coated it black.
2: Cut and painted a new black screen bezel.
3: Magic Eraser all over the outside of the cab, touched up the dings with paint and polished up the vinyl.
4: Bought a new style power supply off ebay for $40.00.
5: Replaced the T-Molding.
6: Replaced the sticks and put in new light up buttons.
7: Replaced the IL marquee light up panels.
8: Replaced the broken headphone jacks on the card reader.
9: Painted the inside of the cab.
10: Recapped the monitor chassis.
11: Inspected and replaced the flyback and tuned the focus and pots for a sharp image.
12: Checked the convergence.
13: Replaced the crappy stock speakers.
14: Put a 120v receptacle inside the cab off the transformer and hooked up a subwoofer from that and into the headphone jack off the card reader.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
It does look like it's in great shape! Good find. It does stand out in that room but that's OK, it should :)
And from what little I can see your theater room looks pretty awesome too!

Much appreciated! Here's an updated pic with the cab in the back of my theater room. I don't really have a terrific place for it, but just having it is all that matters... ;)

View attachment 19283

pmindemann

New Challenger
It does look like it's in great shape! Good find. It does stand out in that room but that's OK, it should :)

Thanks! Here's the theater, from the other direction...

1341.jpg

pmindemann

New Challenger

And here's a MAME cab I built several years back... runs Hyperspin, and has a custom subwoofer system built into the base of the unit (that whole "foot" is a hollow area with two subs and an amplifier). A PC is in the main tower part, and we stashed a Nintendo Wii behind the coin door. It's recently been updated with a nicer, Sony monitor. Pretty fun!

Untitled.jpg