Just bought an MVS 2-slot cab. What do I need to know?

pmindemann

New Challenger
Hello all... apologies for the fact that this has probably been repeated in bits and pieces elsewhere a million times already, but I just bought a 2-slot MVS cabinet, and I'd like any thoughts or opinions on what I need to know to concerning this model. Specifically:

• Are there any items prone to breakage?
  • What's the best way to clean and maintain?
  • Who do you recommend for parts/supplies?
  • What's the first thing you'd do before playing?
  • What else should I be aware of?

I worked at TRU in the 90s and sold (hardly ever) the original AES, and fondly remember playing the crap out of the arcade version/MVS in my teens. It's a dream come true to finally have my own, so I want to make sure I give it a good home.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

pmindemann

New Challenger
By the way, I picked this up from East Coast Amusements. The owner/tech, Brett, is a really good guy. The cab came with lifetime tech support, a new monitor, new control overlay, and replaced sticks/buttons. In nice shape, overall, and from a local arcade.

Neo Cab.jpg

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Just a FYI and sry for going off topic.

This is NOT the same company I have been recommending to ppl for Monitor Repairs.

http://www.eastcoastamusements.com/ aka the originally founded one in Canton, MA IS.

Grats on the new cab.

pmindemann

New Challenger
Just a FYI and sry for going off topic.

This is NOT the same company I have been recommending to ppl for Monitor Repairs.

http://www.eastcoastamusements.com/ aka the originally founded one in Canton, MA IS.

Grats on the new cab.

True, different company. A bit confusing with that. But a good guy who seems to do good work (he even lugged it all the way down into my basement and set it up, nothing extra).

And thanks... can't wait to start playing!

pmindemann

New Challenger
Thank you very much, Gamefan... it's truly a dream come true. I wore an old, tattered Neo-Geo t-shirt in celebration during delivery and set-up (lol).

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nice, man. Congrats!

Speaking of item prone to breakage, have you checked the memory card reader and see if it's functional? Back in the day people jam all kinds of stuff into the memory card slot, which can result in bent or missing pins.

pmindemann

New Challenger
Nice, man. Congrats!

Speaking of item prone to breakage, have you checked the memory card reader and see if it's functional? Back in the day people jam all kinds of stuff into the memory card slot, which can result in bent or missing pins.

No, I hadn't. Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't really intend to use it... I figured all of the memory cards out there had dead batteries by now. Not the case?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
No, I hadn't. Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't really intend to use it... I figured all of the memory cards out there had dead batteries by now. Not the case?

Neoturfmaster made a new memory card that works like a charm. I'm not sure if he has any right now, but sometimes he does runs of them.

TheSegaDude

Astra Superstar
10 Year Member
Nice score! I love the look of a full cabinet. I recently just got my own Big Red. I'll have to post a picture too.
I'll be eager to hear some answers to your questions as well. My monitor needs some work so I think you did really well getting a new screen.
You'll have to update your signature with the Big Red Club image :)

pmindemann

New Challenger
Get some damn games.

Congrats on the cab!

LOL... Yeah, I guess that should be the first priority! Came with Turf Masters and Bust-A-Move. Can't say I'm a huge fan of either, but I knew that would be easy enough to remedy. :D

pmindemann

New Challenger
Nice score! I love the look of a full cabinet. I recently just got my own Big Red. I'll have to post a picture too.
I'll be eager to hear some answers to your questions as well. My monitor needs some work so I think you did really well getting a new screen.
You'll have to update your signature with the Big Red Club image :)

Thanks! And congrats to you, too. Excellent idea about the "Big Red Club" image... I looked through all of the standard avatar options, and couldn't find any that looked like that. Can you point me in the right direction?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Thanks! And congrats to you, too. Excellent idea about the "Big Red Club" image... I looked through all of the standard avatar options, and couldn't find any that looked like that. Can you point me in the right direction?

just copy and paste the one I'm using

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Things I did when I bought my 4-slot cab:

1: Removed the control panel and powder coated it black.
2: Cut and painted a new black screen bezel.
3: Magic Eraser all over the outside of the cab, touched up the dings with paint and polished up the vinyl.
4: Bought a new style power supply off ebay for $40.00.
5: Replaced the T-Molding.
6: Replaced the sticks and put in new light up buttons.
7: Replaced the IL marquee light up panels.
8: Replaced the broken headphone jacks on the card reader.
9: Painted the inside of the cab.
10: Recapped the monitor chassis.
11: Inspected and replaced the flyback and tuned the focus and pots for a sharp image.
12: Checked the convergence.
13: Replaced the crappy stock speakers.
14: Put a 120v receptacle inside the cab off the transformer and hooked up a subwoofer from that and into the headphone jack off the card reader.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Also, don't forget to replace that the yellowed headphone/memory card decal...and install a unibios...aaaaand the standard coin cell battery swap...and maybe since you've gone this far already recap your MVS boards sound section. Then maybe swap out that sound chip or the faster one... Then once all that's over you can buy a Blast City cab and start the whole process over:D

pmindemann

New Challenger
very jealous! congrats on the cab!! looks great!

Thank you! I'm busy detailing the heck out of it right now... taking buttons out one at a time to clean them, getting into the nitty-gritty of all the little cracks and crevices. Since I'm fortunate enough to finally own one, I want to treat it right and give it a good home. :buttrock:

pmindemann

New Challenger
14: Put a 120v receptacle inside the cab off the transformer and hooked up a subwoofer from that and into the headphone jack off the card reader.

You know what? I think the previous owner of my cab did the same thing. I just discovered the mobo has been moved back about an inch and re-mounted (to give room for a headphone plug concealed behind the front panel?), and there's an outlet on the floor near the power supply. Perhaps great minds think alike?

pmindemann

New Challenger
Also, don't forget to replace that the yellowed headphone/memory card decal...and install a unibios...aaaaand the standard coin cell battery swap...and maybe since you've gone this far already recap your MVS boards sound section. Then maybe swap out that sound chip or the faster one... Then once all that's over you can buy a Blast City cab and start the whole process over:D

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Wanted to know more about:

• replace the yellowed headphone/memory card decal <-- any sources you can recommend for a new one?
  • swap out that sound chip or the faster one <-- can you describe what you mean?

Much appreciated!

Last edited:

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Grats on the cab! I picked up a Super Neo 29 almost 2 months ago and have been cleaning it very thoroughly. I don't think the previous owner never actually took the 4 slot apart and cleaned it so maybe you could also check yours. Altough the buttons are clean now on mine, i'm going to replace them anyway with Neo-colored Sanwa buttons (ordered them yesterday).

You could also clean the slots with some rubbing alcohol, a credit card (or something alike) and a piece of cloth. I cleaned the joysticks thanks to a video Lukemorse posted on Youtube but you will also find out that people in these forums know everything about these arcade machines, like fine tuning the monitor, etc.

pmindemann

New Challenger
I picked up a Super Neo 29 almost 2 months ago

That's awesome. Congrats! Do you find you stand, or sit at your cab most often? I find I'm a tad too tall for my Big Red (if I was building it from scratch), but the Candy Cab style always seemed to me like the angle of the screen would be too shallow to sit while playing, yet the cabinet was too short to stand. How does it work for you?