IV and Bloodlines are better than Rondo of Blood

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Bleh.

Rondo is the tittiest tit of the tits. Behind that would be SotN -> 3 ->2 -> 4 ->1 ->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->-> SNES Dracula X.

To be fair I haven't put more than a couple of minutes into Bloodlines because I just haven't.

Still tho - Rondo is amazing. It has everything you need.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
did anyone else read this and audibly mumble 'wtf'

I’d like to say I like the music now. Completed cv 4 not too long ago. I think it’s still not as good as rondo and bloodlines but the game is legit.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Seeing this thread again makes me want to revisit Super IV and Chronicles. And I wouldn't mind giving SFC Dracula X a replay. It doesn't particularly put me in the mood to play Rondo or SotN again, though. Maybe Bloodlines.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
Bloodlines holds up well, even if you don't have nostalgia for it. It's not my favorite Castlevania, or even in my top 3 (SOTN, Rondo, Akumajou Densetsu), but it's a brilliant time as @Hattori Hanzo said. I didn't really give the game a chance until 2019 myself and I think my favor of the game is all the better for that.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I like Rondo a lot but in the 16 bit era I'd have to agree. Castlevania IV, Bloodlines, Rondo in that order.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
16 bit games (in order):

Rondo
Bloodlines
SCIV

8 bit (in order):

CVIII
CVI

I haven't beat CVII because I lose interest pretty fast. I hear this hack makes everything easier which doesn't bother me since I'm not interested anyway:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Bloodlines > SC4
Hyperstone Heist < Turtles in Time
Hard Corps < Alien Wars

:cool:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Bloodlines > SC4
Hyperstone Heist < Turtles in Time
Hard Corps < Alien Wars

:cool:

Alien Wars is great. I prefer the easier JP version of Hard Corps. Maybe when I get around to 1cc'ing it, I'll try the same for the US ver.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Rondo of Blood for the replay value and Super Castlevania IV for the better controls.Still for bloodlines it's fine for a traditional castlevania one of my favorite genesis ost to but it's downside it's short play time the game is over,before you know it.Speaking of bloodlines music these tracks.

Hippo

SEARCH, FUNCTION, GOD!,
15 Year Member
As long as we agree that Simon’s quest is the worst. My brother became a god to me when he beat that game.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
CV3 gets so much love, I have no idea why. The US version is a masterclass in lazy , bullshit endless spawning mechanics from enemies to falling blocks, drips, and placement to impede you every step of the way. Play the US version , Alucard path, then switch to Trevor on the last two levels and tell me it's a good game. The JP version like most konami games are much more forgiving, but if you grew up playing this game in the US - it sucks.

1>2>3

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
CV3 gets so much love, I have no idea why. The US version is a masterclass in lazy , bullshit endless spawning mechanics from enemies to falling blocks, drips, and placement to impede you every step of the way. Play the US version , Alucard path, then switch to Trevor on the last two levels and tell me it's a good game. The JP version like most konami games are much more forgiving, but if you grew up playing this game in the US - it sucks.

1>2>3

I can’t look at it objectively like that. Got it for Christmas the year it was released and played it to death. I was more of a Grant player. Never got into Alucard. Was able to beat the game with all characters.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Just beat Haunted Castle for the first time. With some minor tweaks this could have been a classic.

I can imagine players at the arcade in 1988 giving up after almost immediately being killed walking into a skeleton. My version of the rom doesn't even have a continue system. What kind of person would willingly put more money into this bullshit? Just a horrible design choice for the arcade. Kiki Kaikai was at least a fair game without continues, this isn't.

But there's a lot to like about the game. The first level has blocks fly at you a la Mega Man's Yellow Devil, one part you walk into an interdimensional rift that takes you to some dreamlike world to fight harpies, a portrait that cries a bloody tear in a hallway, Frankenstein's monster is black and white but turns to color when you hit him, etc. Lots of cool ideas here.

It was also a delight to see things referenced in future games. Julius Belmont's theme, the bitchin song that plays when he fights Soma in Aria, is the song from the last level here.

But the astounding difficulty and lack of a continue system is just too much for any normal person. The PS2 release included a 'superplay' video that only made it to the fourth level (there are six levels). Tweak the hitboxes, don't die in two hits, let the player continue - doing this would have helped tremendously. The development history of this game was troubled, and Konami had an entire team from another game help the team working on this finish it.

IMG_20221028_072842.jpg

IMG_20221028_072859.jpg

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Edit: what kind of bullshit ass version of the switch is that?
The kind M has probably bought off of Aliexpress for $20.

I could never stand to play with a stretched screen like that. Piece of shit emulation machine or not that's bad.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lol, high maintenance princesses. It was my Christmas gift. Has a few thousand games. I love it. Keeps me sane on my commute. I don't think it's bad at all. That's just the way Dracula's head stretches after you beat him.

Last edited: