[It's back!] "I can't edit my post!" -- UPDATE: see post 109

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Does seem strange. I can understand it for the rest of the forum but the 1st post in the sales thread we should be ablt to keep editing and keep up to date.
Easier for the sellers and prospective buyers.

If you are selling alot of items, like lots of people do. As a buyer you are not wanting to look through a complete thread just to find out what has been sold.
Unfortunately, all that will happen is that people are just going to be posting new threads every week.

So what abuse exactly has there been...?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
From what I've seen..
Constant editing of initial sale prices, undercutting other sales for the same item.. :shame:

Oh and mass editing of posts in a single thread.. <-- (I'm guilty of the latter [but only in the longest/Kingsley 'fan club' thread..], srry yall..) :(

Last edited:

Tomcat

NG.com No.1 Ranked Trader.Also, Donated $600+ to N
Does seem strange. I can understand it for the rest of the forum but the 1st post in the sales thread we should be ablt to keep editing and keep up to date.
Easier for the sellers and prospective buyers.

If you are selling alot of items, like lots of people do. As a buyer you are not wanting to look through a complete thread just to find out what has been sold.
Unfortunately, all that will happen is that people are just going to be posting new threads every week.

Im agree with you buddy

regards

Tom(ITA)

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
From what I've seen..
Constant editing of initial sale prices, undercutting other sales for the same item.. :shame:

And.. what is wrong with that. If you are trying to sell your stuff and it is not shifting, why can't you adjust it to reflect the current market if you so wish. And this wouldn't stop that anyway, you would just edit the title to offer a reduction. So that is not the abuse that is happening.

From what I've seen..
Oh and mass editing of posts in a single thread.. <-- (I'm guilty of the latter [but only in the longest/Kingsley 'fan club' thread..], srry yall..) :(

Totally agree that the posts in a thread should not be editable, even the first post in most of the forum... except marketplace.

If I am selling 20/30 games and every week I sell a few, as a seller that is just damn annoying that you cannot keep your sales up to date and state what is sold and as a buyer, even more irritating that you have to trawl through the whole thread just to see what is sold. All that will happen is that buyers will PM the seller alot more, the seller will get annoyed that their inbox is getting filled up unnecessarily and then forced to start a new thread.

Makes no sense.

Tomcat has been on these boards for 7 years and he only has 400+ posts... watch that double in the next year from new sales threads.:D

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
And.. what is wrong with that. If you are trying to sell your stuff and it is not shifting, why can't you adjust it to reflect the current market if you so wish. And this wouldn't stop that anyway, you would just edit the title to offer a reduction. So that is not the abuse that is happening.

Totally agree that the posts in a thread should not be editable, even the first post in most of the forum... except marketplace.

If I am selling 20/30 games and every week I sell a few, as a seller that is just damn annoying that you cannot keep your sales up to date and state what is sold and as a buyer, even more irritating that you have to trawl through the whole thread just to see what is sold. All that will happen is that buyers will PM the seller alot more, the seller will get annoyed that their inbox is getting filled up unnecessarily and then forced to start a new thread.

Makes no sense.

Tomcat has been on these boards for 7 years and he only has 400+ posts... watch that double in the next year from new sales threads.:D

Sales threads don't count towards postcounts.

If you are selling an item and have a thread, there is no problem in posting in that thread to update prices. There is no benefit to being able to edit the posts unless you are a scammer. Hence, there is no negotiation here. You can either deal with the lack of editing, or fuck off.

People have to stop whining about trivial shit.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member

Nothing really, just the only thing I noticed that could be considered 'abuse'..
as Agent Sands mentioned it helps to protect against scammers, which trumps most arguments..
lack of editing doesn't really hurt threads in the end..

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Sales threads don't count towards postcounts.

lol, yeah I know. It was late when I wrote that and wasn't thinking... if only I could go back now and edit that post.

There is no benefit to being able to edit the posts unless you are a scammer. Hence, there is no negotiation here. You can either deal with the lack of editing, or fuck off.

People have to stop whining about trivial shit.

That is fine and that is all I was asking. I was not whining, I was questioning... big difference and the benefit is to keep your 'sales' thread current for the buyer... nothing to do with scamming. Bobak's post says nothing of why and I (As well as Tomcat) was asking why.

Of course I a more than happy too 'deal with it', especially if it is operation due to scamming but there is no need to get all offensive about it.

Thanks for clearing that up anyway.

Tomcat

I understand the point ..
I don't like this choice, anyway..

regards

Tom(ITA)

Tomcat

Lol buddy ..

regards

Tom(ITA)

aria

Former Moderator
What also frustrates me is that there's a sticky at the top of the major sales forums explaining the situation as well.

Rather myopic.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
What also frustrates me is that there's a sticky at the top of the major sales forums explaining the situation as well.

Rather myopic.

What frustrates me is that we no longer save post edit histories. If we could get that back everything would be great. Seems like no one has the time to fix this fuckedupdate.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
Jesus christ, do either of you have set privileges to edit forum preferences? If you do and tell me what software the boards are using I can fucking tell you what to fix so this bullshit can stop.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer

I agree 100%. Who wants to read through several pages of posts just to find out if the item they wanted was sold or not? They're not going to bother and just send a PM asking, and if a seller's selling a high-demand item they're going to get flooded for the entire lifetime of the thread. Hell, I get PM's about items I sold 6 months ago now as-is.

Any chance of knowing what abuse has caused this decision?

Last edited:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter

Rather myopic.

I appreciate why this has been done, but your post does not at all explain why. Abuse, what abuse...? I was just curious as to what has been going on that affects everyone in this restrictive way as I have never seen anything like this on any other forum before.

But if it has to stay, then it has to stay.

aria said:
Post New post editing limitations

Due to abuse, we have reduced the time limit for editing your posts to 5 minutes after a thread has been posted.

We have, however, allowed the titles to remain open to editing. This should allow people to keep their sales threads updated.

So here's a tip for sellers:
If you want to update your sales list:

(1) reply to your original post
(2) edit our the quote tags
(3) make changes
(4) update the thread title to note the post number where the update is, e.g. "Update in Post XX"

[this is a temp sticky, I will remove and move to the Market FAQ after a week]

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I appreciate why this has been done, but your post does not at all explain why. Abuse, what abuse...? I was just curious as to what has been going on that affects everyone in this restrictive way as I have never seen anything like this on any other forum before.

But if it has to stay, then it has to stay.

You lookin for ideas?

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
You lookin for ideas?

If this new rule has been implemented to prevent scamming, then scamming in the way that you all are preventing isn't possible any longer, so what's the harm in backing up this choice with some solid reasoning?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If this new rule has been implemented to prevent scamming, then scamming in the way that you all are preventing isn't possible any longer, so what's the harm in backing up this choice with some solid reasoning?

No.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
*sigh* they did it because of issues with the boards themselves. They canNOT see what someone initially wrote when a post causes a giant pile of shenanigans when they edit it. (Like they've said 573 times before).

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
I have been editing titles/threads' content to reflect sold or traded items. Hopefully, this will help members to navigate each sales thread easier.

sammybean

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Thanks kitkit for trying to help out! I don't have issues following new rules, but I also don't think it's wrong for the users to know why new rules are implemented.

Reading comprehension issues?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thanks kitkit for trying to help out! I don't have issues following new rules, but I also don't think it's wrong for the users to know why new rules are implemented.

Reading comprehension issues?

No. You're not entitled to answers, especially when your questions are easy enough for an educated grown woman such as yourself to figure out on her own.

aria

Former Moderator
Wasabi and I are on the same page: what we're trying to prevent should be pretty easy to figure out.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Meh lads...

Tomcat... it's the way it is my friend.... just accept it... and find a way to live with it...

Copying and editing your thread isn't so bad....

I appreciate where the mods are coming from... it's inconvenient... and a pain in the arse BUT it does make sense....

The only prob now is posting photoshopped sales lists and editing them... as image files.... I would expect these to be frowned upon soon... it's a constant struggle... heh...

xROTx

PS. I love this can of worms stuffs... you realise mod lads... there's always some guy who wants to bend the rules...

aria

Former Moderator
What's annoying is there used to be a forum mod that would allow us to track post histories, but they haven't developed one yet (as far as we are aware) for the current rev of vbulletin. If anyone hears of it or finds it, let us know and we can go to that.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Wasabi and I are on the same page: what we're trying to prevent should be pretty easy to figure out.

Cheers for that reply... nice to hear that there is some plan on the horizon to try and move this forward so it possibly is only temporary.

I think people just get cheesed off when it is difficult to get that kind of reply from a Mod or Admin, and I appreciate you guys probably get hacked off getting all this questioning. But if people stop trading here cos it's not a nice experience for buyers and sellers alike, then that would seriously damage the boards and none of us want that.

Hopefully you guys can work it out so it can go back as it was.