It can be dangerous to be black and a legal gun owner in America

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It's not just americans. A lot of people in western countries have this happen. It's even worse in another case where some people are so glued to their devices that they don't pay attention to the world around them and end up getting hurt.
It's like a golden oldies compilation CD round here at the moment

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's like a golden oldies compilation CD round here at the moment
I know right? with Doroth..Oh sorry I mean @smokehouse coming back for another run, what exciting times indeed.
giphy.gif

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I wonder why would anyone have to fear some friendly (threatening) Michael Jackson impersonating busker (violent mentally deranged man) on the subway?
Why the fuck aren't platform screen doors installed on the NYC subway yet? It's an absolute no brainer.

Just bing'd "new york subway platform doors" and read an article where they immediately went into the cost and maintenance of fucking platform doors for a subway. How is this even an issue? How? Holy SHIT I am disgusted.

Fucking embarrassing this isn't standard, much less be argued about.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

I wonder why would anyone have to fear some friendly (threatening) Michael Jackson impersonating busker (violent mentally deranged man) on the subway?

I really don’t know what your point is here. Youre you descending in to Norton levels of cryptic posting.

Are you saying it’s possible that pushing someone in to a moving subway train was a justified use of deadly force in this case?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Thoughts on this?

Solid stand your ground defense, imo. 4 people show up at your house with bad intent, you defend yourself. I don't understand why charges were even brought. Not much media coverage either. Hmm...

Reminds me of story from a friend of mine. When she was a kid, three other girls drove to her house to confront her about supposedly stealing one of their boyfriends. She was home by herself and felt threatened.

After answering the door and telling them to leave, she went back inside the house and grabbed a baseball bat. When the girls still refused to leave her property, she cracked one of them in the head.

The girls then called the cops and she called her parents. The cops and parents arrived, discussed the situation and asked if they wanted to press trespassing charges on the three girls.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member

Thoughts on this?

Solid stand your ground defense, imo. 4 people show up at your house with bad intent, you defend yourself. I don't understand why charges were even brought. Not much media coverage either.

Based on the article you linked, and only the article, it’s not clear it was justifiable self defense.

Hypothetically leaving a threatening situation, presumably to retreat to safety inside where there is no longer a threat, and then returning to the threatening situation with a firearm and (presumably) shooting first (article is unclear) would absolutely not meet what I believe to be a standard of self defense.

A trial, again based only on what you linked, appears to be warranted.

Remember that self defense is an affirmative defense: you admit you committed a homicide/assault/battery/whatever but that you were justified under the law in doing so.

In this case ultimately it would depend on what type of threat the men outside posed. I expect that would be at the heart of the trial. Must have been a helluva threat to be able to retreat, get a gun, and come out blasting.

Clearly the jury agreed.

Would have been no question as to a case of self defense has they entered his home. Even in CA you can use deadly force against an intruder in your home - it’s assumed their intent and presence is to cause grievous harm.

I’m not familiar with Florida’s “Stand your ground” law but my understanding was Florida’s law was nothing more than a codification of the fact that in cases of self defense there was explicitly no duty to retreat.

What does Florida say about self defense of property?

Last edited:
Reactions: wyo

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Looks like that explicitly deals with inside the home (including car/tent) wasn’t seeing anything about the yard.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
As you said, the jury must have been convinced by something. They came onto his property, he presumably told them to leave or fuck around, and they chose to find out.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sounds like they charged the Frog Cop with some kind of homicide. I assume they’ll give the cop the Guillotine.

AppleiDog

Shamrock Chatster
15 Year Member
Sounds like they charged the Frog Cop with some kind of homicide. I assume they’ll give the cop the Guillotine.
I think it's just too keep the peace, from what I read he did everything legal.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Obviously they’ll have to do an investigation. FromThe description I have heard of the video of the incident it sounds like it may have not met a standard of self defense were it in America.

Unfortunately police in the USA in practice seem to have a lower bar and are routinely and part of policy able to employ lethal force (or perhaps more accurately the threat thereof) kind of whenever they want.

Cops pointing their guns at people all the time is outrageous.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I think it's just too keep the peace, from what I read he did everything legal.

Exactly, the government will slaughter the pig to appease the mob as long as it distracts enough from the fact that he is out their enforcing their policy in the first place.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Should that cop be sent to prison for not running into the school while someone shot the place up? Seems bizarre to me.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Should that cop be sent to prison for not running into the school while someone shot the place up? Seems bizarre to me.

What are you talking about specifically?

No, the cop at Parkland and the cops at Uvalde should be fired and perhaps even ineligible to work in law enforcement in the future.