Is the sega Saturn overrated for shoot em ups?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I was always a sega kid during the 16 bit generation. However I skipped the sega Saturn for n64 back then. Mainly because I got burned on the 32x and I wanted a 3d focused system at the time. To be honest I have never even played the Saturn console at all.

I’m kinda sad I missed out on the sega shoot em up powerhouse at that time. Now a days everyone says it might be the best shoot em up console ever.

What do you think about the system in regards to shoot em ups? Is it worth tracking down in today’s higher priced Saturn market strictly for shoot em ups or is it over hyped and not as good as I hear? I am debating starting a Saturn collection.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
The Saturn was great for shmups! But not for America.

The Japanese library holds like 20 more shmups more than everywhere else, and that’s not including their collection vol. disks that have some classic games as well.
Now the games...the games are all shmup bangers from the arcade, in excellent port form. These ports are next to arcade perfect versions, with some extra features that made the package more complete.

Plus the model 2 controller has is one of (if the) best feeling d-pads known to man. It’s like that d-pad was made for shmuppin’.

The only problem is, the games are really expensive. You gotta have a small fortune to invest into Saturn shmups.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
It’s absolutely one of the best platforms for shmups alongside the PC Engine. I play shmups on mine all the time. Definitely look into either an SD card reader or burning discs though.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
A great console for shmups and the cheaper option versus buying PCBs.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
As a whole, you'll have just as many people telling you the console is overrated as it is underrated.

For shooting games specifically it kind of depends on what titles (and what eras from the genre) you enjoy.

If you're not looking to buy the pcb, and would rather build a physical library of mostly accurate arcade ports on a console, the saturn is great.

Your original post still kind of reads like a copy-paste of an editorial piece from like video-game.com though.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
Was this a serious question? :spock: The Saturn's Japanese library holds some of the best arcade-ported shoot 'em ups you can get for any console. Batsugun, Hyper Duel, Battle Garegga, Kyuukyoku Tiger 2, Darius Gaiden, Radiant Silvergun and several more. You might argue the Playstation also has a decent library for the time too with even some exclusives (R-Types, Toaplan Battle Vol. 1, Cotton). And many games were released on both consoles. But you can't go wrong with a Saturn at all if you're into shmups.

The only other console that comes close in term of exclusiveness would be a Japanese Xbox 360 for me. If you are more into modern (Cave) stuff you might prefer that one over the Saturn.

But overrated? No way ;)

Last edited:

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
The Saturn was absolutely king for shoot em ups in it’s heyday (a post Turbografx/PC Engine console market)...but The sega saturn famously underperformed in every market except japan. Wouldn’t a system have to be popular in the first place for it to be considered overrated? The games are expensive in the used market precisely because not a lot of them were bought to begin with. Now that many have discovered (or re-discovered) the saturn library there’s not enough copies to go around so they fetch high prices now. I don’t think that makes the console overrated, it’s just in-demand amongst a niche of gamers is all imho.

In my humble opinion, I don’t think now is a good time to start collecting for any retro game console. Even without arcade emulation, many of the games have been rereleased digitally or via collection for those who just want to try out the games, etc. Why pay the current high market prices from the get-go if one simply wants to play the games (especially if one is experiencing those game for the first time)?

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
In 2020 it largely has to do with your access to arcade titles. If you have a lot of PCBs or use an emulation rig you have very little use for the Saturn's ports. Personally, I still prefer playing a lot of the arcade titles on Saturn, I don't have many PCBs and I can't be arsed to figure out Mame for the most part. Hell, in fighters I still often play the Saturn ports of CPS2 games even though I have a CPS2 multi.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Was this a serious question? :spock: The Saturn's Japanese library holds some of the best arcade-ported shoot 'em ups you can get for any console. Batsugun, Hyper Duel, Battle Garegga, Kyuukyoku Tiger 2, Darius Gaiden, Radiant Silvergun and several more. You might argue the Playstation also has a decent library for the time too with even some exclusives (R-Types, Toaplan Battle Vol. 1, Cotton). And many games were released on both consoles. But you can't go wrong with a Saturn at all if you're into shmups.

The only other console that comes close in term of exclusiveness would be a Japanese Xbox 360 for me. If you are more into modern (Cave) stuff you might prefer that one over the Saturn.

But overrated? No way ;)

Yes it’s a serious question but in the back of my mind I know it’s a fantastic system. To be honest I was kinda hoping a bunch of people would say it sucked so I could take my mind off of getting one. I’m working a lot less due to the corona pandemic so it might be hard to jump into a brand new system with an expensive game library. However I guess I’m just gonna have to lube up and take the pounding that is Saturn shoot em up prices. I’ll start out real slow and ramp up my collecting when things get back to normal. ( I’ve been spending most of my disposable income on stocks lately due to the prices dropping)

As far as my favorite era or company, my favorite company is toaplan and I prefer games from the late 80’s to mid 90’s. What really got me interested in the Saturn is the salamander deluxe pack ( I’ve never played the second game) and also Kyukyoku Tiger 2. I also like the Darius games so there is a lot to love for me personally on the system.

Thanks guys and any recommendations for less known or less obvious pick ups would be awesome.

Last edited:

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
As a Toaplan fan, you'll totally want a Saturn for its high-quality port of Batsugun as well, I expect. The Darius Gaiden port is top-notch as well.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I was always a sega kid during the 16 bit generation. However I skipped the sega Saturn for n64 back then. Mainly because I got burned on the 32x and I wanted a 3d focused system at the time. To be honest I have never even played the Saturn console at all.

I’m kinda sad I missed out on the sega shoot em up powerhouse at that time. Now a days everyone says it might be the best shoot em up console ever.

What do you think about the system in regards to shoot em ups? Is it worth tracking down in today’s higher priced Saturn market strictly for shoot em ups or is it over hyped and not as good as I hear? I am debating starting a Saturn collection.

Is a Saturn worth getting? Yes. The Japanese shooter line up is great if you're a fan of that era.

Is it worth collecting Saturn games? No. Unless you like paying lots of money for CDs, get an ODE.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
The Saturn was absolutely king for shoot em ups in it’s heyday (a post Turbografx/PC Engine console market)...but The sega saturn famously underperformed in every market except japan. Wouldn’t a system have to be popular in the first place for it to be considered overrated? The games are expensive in the used market precisely because not a lot of them were bought to begin with. Now that many have discovered (or re-discovered) the saturn library there’s not enough copies to go around so they fetch high prices now. I don’t think that makes the console overrated, it’s just in-demand amongst a niche of gamers is all imho.

In my humble opinion, I don’t think now is a good time to start collecting for any retro game console. Even without arcade emulation, many of the games have been rereleased digitally or via collection for those who just want to try out the games, etc. Why pay the current high market prices from the get-go if one simply wants to play the games (especially if one is experiencing those game for the first time)?

That’s funny you mention it’s a bad time to buy retro games. If America does fall into a recession there is a good possibility retro games will become significantly cheaper. It’s something I have been contemplating. Yet I continue to buy because it’s my own addiction which I think is much better then being addicted to opioids or cocaine because you can sell the games and get some of the money back later once you’ve used up the fun and new of a certain game.

Last edited:

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Is a Saturn worth getting? Yes. The Japanese shooter line up is great if you're a fan of that era.

Is it worth collecting Saturn games? No. Unless you like paying lots of money for CDs, get an ODE.

That’s another thing that sucks is the cd aspect. For some reason the sega Dreamcast games give me the most problems out of the few cd systems I own. A power stone 2 I bought last year just stopped working the other day and it looks near mint with no disc rott. Do the sega Saturn discs have a lot of problems not working or are they kinda tough like the pc engine cd ( I’ve had good luck with those discs)

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member

It depends if you really like 90s shooters. They aren't as difficult as later cave games, but the games have their own aesthetic charm. I am just a sucker for 90s anime and the Saturn is the epitome of 90s gaming. there are some choice shoot em up titles. I'd suggest getting a saturn and softmodding and burning all the shmups and only buy the games you really enjoy. Twinkle Star sprites is dope af and the saturn version has an extra character.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
That’s another thing that sucks is the cd aspect. For some reason the sega Dreamcast games give me the most problems out of the few cd systems I own. A power stone 2 I bought last year just stopped working the other day and it looks near mint with no disc rott. Do the sega Saturn discs have a lot of problems not working or are they kinda tough like the pc engine cd ( I’ve had good luck with those discs)

I've lost Albert Odyssey to disc rot and a buddy of mine lost two out of the four CDs in a Panzer Dragoon Saga set to disc rot. So Saturn discs can definitely suffer from it.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
It's not overrated, it's the G.O.A.T.

Last edited:

suicidekiller

Host for Orochi,
As far as my favorite era or company, my favorite company is toaplan and I prefer games from the late 80’s to mid 90’s. What really got me interested in the Saturn is the salamander deluxe pack ( I’ve never played the second game) and also Kyukyoku Tiger 2. I also like the Darius games so there is a lot to love for me personally on the system.

Salamander Delux Pack would be available on the Playstation too. But yeah if you're into Toaplan: Get yourself a tate setup with Kyuukyoku Tiger 2 and Batsugun and you'll have a lot of fun in the next couple of months ;)

Hasuki-san

Igniz's Servent
The Battle Garegga port is better than the Arcade original. Also Batsugun, Terra Diver, Radiant Silvergun are the best shmups of their time. So Saturn is always underestimated compared to the Playstation, but never overestimated

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
That’s funny you mention it’s a bad time to buy retro games. If America does fall into a recession there is a good possibility retro games will become significantly cheaper. It’s something I have been contemplating. Yet I continue to buy because it’s my own addiction which I think is much better then being addicted to opioids or cocaine because you can sell the games and get some of the money back later once you’ve used up the fun and new of a certain game.

It sounds like you’ve made your decision then. That’s cool, if collecting and buying physical copies of retro games makes you happy then you are certainly in the right place. Play and collect how you want as long as you’re having fun :buttrock:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Had the console come out a year or two before it did I would have said no, not at all. As console competing with psx to me It and the N64 are minor consoles. And I owned both long before I owned a PlayStation 1.
Honestly wasn't crazy about ports even back then. Emulation was taking first baby steps and retro gaming was already an interesting emerging trend.
There was just not enough quality original content for it. Sega fucked themselves releasing a supposed 2D powerhouse but not really supporting it with their strong suits.
They killed themselves.
2 years before this would have been a perfect time to get this out there. As it stands, I love the Saturn and for what it is, but it's not as amazing as many would have you believe

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Had the console come out a year or two before it did I would have said no, not at all. As console competing with psx to me It and the N64 are minor consoles. And I owned both long before I owned a PlayStation 1.
Honestly wasn't crazy about ports even back then. Emulation was taking first baby steps and retro gaming was already an interesting emerging trend.
There was just not enough quality original content for it. Sega fucked themselves releasing a supposed 2D powerhouse but not really supporting it with their strong suits.
They killed themselves.
2 years before this would have been a perfect time to get this out there. As it stands, I love the Saturn and for what it is, but it's not as amazing as many would have you believe

It might have been different if we got all the Japanese-only goodness at the time but this was my experience as well, except I don't rate the PSX highly either. Even today, I play much more often on Neo, Mega Drive, PCE and SNES than Saturn.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

It makes me angry that you're basically saying, "Well, playing vidya games is better than getting hooked on drugs." Not angry at you, just angry that it seems that half of America is on opioids. Argh

The only way to play Saturn is if it's all-region. Great port machine. I had a lot of great games for it. I miss playing something like Sega AGES Outrun or Chase HQ or Gekirindan, sure. As a console, it failed to produce a Sonic 2. Lots of people like NiGHTS but I didn't.

If you ask me now, in 2020, if I could choose between something like an Xbox with every emulated game ever or a Saturn, sure I'd go for an Xbox.

Even when I collected for Saturn in the mid-2000s I felt like I was too late.

I wonder how much Crows: The Battle Action sells for now. I bought it here from, I think it was BIG, for like...under a hundred dollars for sure. $70 to $90.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I wonder how much Crows: The Battle Action sells for now. I bought it here from, I think it was BIG, for like...under a hundred dollars for sure. $70 to $90.

It's in the $300s now. I'd sell it on based on how shitty it is. The game isn't worth 5 bucks.

My issue with the Saturn is that many of the "best" shmups have now been ported:

Battle Garegga (PS4) - M2 killed it with this conversion

Radiant Silver Gun (XBLA) - I prefer this port's cleaned up polygons

RayForce (PS2) - don't care for this game but some people do.

Darius Gaiden (PS2) - same as above

Toaplan shmups - ok, you got me there. I would say Batsugun Special remains one of the few exclusives I'd play if I still had a Saturn.

etc. etc.

Otherwise, yeah, I find it overrated. It's a good port machine. I prefer the PC engine and PS1/2 to get my fix to my console shmup fix. The PS2 having the ability to play PS1 games (Harmful Park anyone?) and the Cave imports and the compilations smoke the Saturn.

Edit: Made a correction above. Hyper Duel is ok. Play it on Mame first before you commit to the Saturn for it, imo.

Last edited: