is the entire kof series worth owning?

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Best tunes are from 94/95/98

Best backgrounds are from 95/96/97/98

Best Gameplay & fun is purely from 98

KOF99 ? very good, but using strikers isn't my favorite type of playing KOF.

I like to pick 4 characters tough.

KOF rooooooocks buttrock buttrock

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Actually it's a tough question wether to get all KoFs if you're a gamer, not so much if you're a collector.

IMO, the KoFs from 94 to 99 are must-haves. All of them have features that make them unique and highly enjoyable, both in terms of gameplay and artwork/music.

2k is a bug-riddled, striker-plagued game that is a step back from the older KoFs IMO, but some ppl like it, so you may want to try it as well.

2k1 isn't as bad as some ppl make it out to be, some gameplay elements of it are actually quite nice, but the artwork and music blows really hard. The char select screen with all those victims of a designer's bad dream on acid annoys the hell outta me.

2k2... well... I don't really like it so far. Questionable gameplay features (BC mode), weird chara anims, silly bugs, raped charas... again, that's how I see it. There will be a DC release of it as well in June, so you can save a lotta $$$ for the better stuff.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
It's a tough call really... no question, as Tak says, if you're a collector, but for the gamer...

Well, my choice would be '97, '98 and 2000.

KoF '97 has a very good roster, the best presentation in any KoF to date (imo), and a superb battle layout for one player. The game shows the end of the Orochi saga, but you can easily piece togther what went on previously. Best one player koF yet.

KoF '98 has a 1st class roster, a good battle layout for one player and is awesome for two players. So storyline as such, but Rugal appears in his best version.

KoF 2000 has a good roster and although is inferior to '97 and '98 has the best Striker system of the KoF games '99 - 2K1. It's good in one player, and good in two player, but simply worth owning because of the newer characters to play and the improved Striker system over '99.

If you're mad on the storys behind koF and how the characters are involved you really need to start at '94 and work your way through to KoF 2K2.
Personally I feel '95 and '99 are the weakest in the series in terms of gameplay.

Briefly -

'94 - still a top game, some fantastice backgrounds, but no team edit and limited special moves.

'95 - impoved graphics and sound, introduction of team edit, but flawed gameplay - the damage system is really harsh.

'96 - 1st class presentation, brill sound and one of the best boss stages ever, plus you can select the Boss Team (big bonus).

'99 - very good backgrounds and nice character additions, but Striker system is lame and ruins the game.

2K1 - doesn't know if it wants to be '98 or '99, but good fun... poor colour scheme, and reduced animations

2K2 - decent addition, good sound, nice bgs, but again naff animation, and some characters are poorly drawn and redesigned (especially Rugal)

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Shingo Yabuki UK:
He was in 96 wasn't he? Or was it 97? ooops!
Shingo wasn't introduced until KoF '97. He was one of the new characters introduced that year along with Yashiro, Chris ans Shermie (plus Yamazaki and Blue Mary were brought into KoF as selectable players for 1st time).

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
i have them all until 99. later installments only on pc. my conclusion so far.

94- never liked it. flawed from the beginning. came out same year with sam sho 2 and it really kicked this years kof to the side. well everything has to start somewhere.

95- still remember the day this baby came out. awesome game. well for that time it was. its deffenitelly dated nowadays but still good fun. damage is set way too high. difficulty level is also pretty hard(maybe hardest) but still a blast to play.

96- graphically this was my favorite kof for a while. best backgrounds and new character animations still didnt make this one a winner. the difference with 95 is still minimal but it still kicked ass.

97- this was THE kof when it came out. YAMAZAKI is in this one. (with his team) new face team. gameplay tweaked for the better. cool cast. cool extra characters. backgrounds where decent and some awesome. there where some letdowns.
some supers had some really lame priority(yamazaki's guillotine) and what the hell happened to the music. dousnt matter. still a winner by far.

98- all the little things that wherent good in 97 where fixed in 98. one of the best kof around. added animations and a lot of beatifull backgrounds. perfect gameplay. downside is we get rugal back from his grave. and there is no story in this one. but still dope ass hell.

99- this one looked beatifull and there where a lot of cool charachters introduced. the thing i didnt understand where the strikers. if you are actually good then you dont even use the strikers. they really have no use in this episode. there way to slow and use is very limited. still if you play this game without using strikers its deffentelly a lot of fun to play.

00- also a cool game. they butched up the strikers. however this year the strikers are just too good. with some strikers its possible to kill an opponent in one attack(JOE, Robert). dont get combod in a corner or youre gone. still a good game nonetheless.

01- the graphics are really weak in this episode. however the game plays like a dream. a lot of characters are tweaked and we lost some fan favorites. however despite the bad art this game is a blast cos of the way it plays. also a good game.

02- this one is awesome. the art is pretty good again. old favorites return. gone are the never been welcome strikers. it also plays like a dream. some charachter sprites are fucked up in this game. and the BC combo mode isnt something im too thrilled about. (same crap they introduced in 99) but wth its speedy gameplay and perfect controlls this is deffenitelly a game you dont want to pass up.

that is untill 03 comes out. maybe it will blow everything else away and then you would only have to buy tghis game for youyre neo.

hey playmore keep YAMAZAKI nd bring back the boss team along with eiji, jhun and other fan favorites. thanx in advance.

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
WELL IM BOTHE COLLECTOR AN GAMER ...MORE GAMER THOUGH ahh ill see most likely ill get all of them though