is the entire kof series worth owning?

Red_venom

n00b
I guess you could do without 94, 95, 96, 97, 99, 2000 if you just want it to play. The only reason to own the other ones would be to see the story and stuff, imo(Though everyone has their favorite in the series... 98 just happens to be mine). So whichever one you think is the best, and the newest one:O

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
orochi saga? see i dont what to miss none of that stuff i love fighers with storys an shit so what year does the orochi saga start?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Orochi_invisibleink:
WTF?? how could you tell him to leave out the ENTIRE orochi saga?
Somebody needs to lay off the crack pipe oh_no
They all have their good points and bad,even 98'
I would recommend every KOF from '94 to '00
I even had fun with 2001 but noway can I recommend 2002.
-BB

KOF_FANATIK

Astra Superstar
That whole series is awesome, dude they are worth getting if you can get competition then it's worth it. nothing beats fighting someone who loves the games as much as you.

It is worth owning if you know that you will treasure them all dude i have the mvs kits (thx to BIG BEAR I completed my 94 kit hurray for BB)

i have been one of the lucky peeps to see the KOF franchise evolve every year since i was 12 now i am 21 and to this day i always await a new KOF!!! :) To bad there won't be one this year :(

I SOOOOOOOOOO HOPE I AM PROVEN WRONG ON MY LAST COMMENT!!!!!

seriously!!!!!!!!
but keep in mind no other series in the history of gaming has had a sequel come out every year!!!
:) GET THEM ALL YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!!

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
For the record, several months ago I managed to purchase all 9 KoFs and I can safely say that I thoroughly enjoy every one of them. I'm sure most people will disagree with my previous statement but I stand by it. My quick reasons for each:

'94: mostly nostalgia but still fun to see how the series started
'95: much more refined, the inclusion of the new USA team and awesome backgrounds make it a blast (and VERY challenging)
'96: My favorite of the Orochi Saga because it's not a shoto-type game. Fantastic Gameplay, roster, backgrounds, etc.
'97: Great story, excellent character roster, kind of a mix between '94 and '96 to me.
'98: Best balance in the series, and second-best roster to 2002
'99: Something new (strikers), a bunch of new characters, best backgrounds and music in the series IMO.
2000: VERY different gameplay with striker insanity, good roster
2001: Again, VERY different and incredibly varied gameplay despite the fact that the backgrounds and music and presentation are not very good
2002: Best roster.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you or everyone else go buy all of them, but I can safely say that they are all great games in their own way.

KOF_FANATIK

Astra Superstar
yup PD is right no other fighting series on the planet has as many interesting characters then this series and the roster is so unique! dude if you ever come to southern cali in every area that has a community of asian's or hispanic's the KOF games are always packed every year!!!

i wish they made a sick ass anime to go with it! :)

Giga Power

Host for Orochi,
Some people here would tell you to do some stupid things, like only getting 94-00. But you really should get every installment. They all improve and change things enought to the point that they all have theit own personal Merits. However, the best are..

2k2
2k1

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Giga Power:
Some people here would tell you to do some stupid things, like only getting 94-00. But you really should get every installment. They all improve and change things enought to the point that they all have theit own personal Merits. However, the best are..

2k2
2k1
Who might this be?? I did'nt tell him to ONLY GET SH_T! I RECOMMENDED that he purchase 94-00. I did'nt tell him to AVOID anything!
The proper way to experience the series is gradually from 94 on up.
I personally found 2k2 to be a sprite rehashed piece of crap! The only positive to that heap of SH_T was the gameplay speed.Attempting to pull off some of the hidden SDM's would only lead to carpal tunnel.
I don't feel my opinion is thee authority by any stretch of the imagination but what's wrong with him experiencing each installment as they were released? :rolleyes:
-BB

CHRiZ-77

Gal Ageise's Demon
Just pick up "KoF98" and "KoF2K"...

You´ll get the best non-Striker and Striker-KoF then! Believe me! wink

leGionellz

Pancho Villa is my Direct Ancestor,
This is really something personal.

I like 96, 98 and 99 the best.

I do think they are worth owning all though.
They all have their good and bad points like said before. 2001 and 2002 are not really worth their prise imo, so if you don't have the money burning in your pocket, I'd buy other games for that money, like ss series and last blades. It's nice to have different fighting games, only KOF will bore you in the end. Real bouts are really great and nice for a chance as well.

5thlion5thlion

Bead Banger
oh yeah im planning on getting both ;ast blades i have one sofar .as for thess series i have all except for 4 which i plan on getting soon.so the real bout series is pretty good huh?

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
I would get '98 and '02. And then just to see what the strikers were like either '99,'00 or '01. Just my opinion. I would also get either '96 or '97(can't remember which), but one of them has the best music I have heard in a fighting game in a while.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
5thlion5thlion:
oh yeah im planning on getting both ;ast blades i have one sofar .as for thess series i have all except for 4 which i plan on getting soon.so the real bout series is pretty good huh?
If you are into the storylines you most certainly have to continue your journey up the series and grab 96 and 97 next.It's up to youy to determine which installments you want to keep if not all. I like 95,96,98 and 2K
-BB

laurie

Zero's Tailor
96 I think is the best of the older ones.
And I dont care what anyone says, 2001 is the best for play mechanics and char roster. angry angry angry angry angry buttrock

5thlion5thlion:
so jumping from 95 to 99 will ruin it for me or should i purchase the accordenly by year after year?
I think your original question has been answered dude.

You know you want all the games in the saga. Your Right-Brain is calling you...

Imagine having a party where you and your KOF friends would come over, create a tourney and start with '94 and play all the way through 2002 all day long. Then at the end of the tourney, vote on the best one.

Personally my fave is either '94 (i won't tell you why cus you'll think im stupid) and '96 cus thats when Shingo came into it! Yey!