Is it even possible to get back into the 'scene'?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I blame the Euro big tyme people. I mean just look at how many new members or relatively new members post full collections and shit.

I always get a chuckle when I see them selling them months later for "personal expenses". Those are the people we are dealing with that are fucking up the market. That and the people whpo buy Christoph's Analogue MVS like its the only damn thing in existence.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I blame the Euro big tyme people. I mean just look at how many new members or relatively new members post full collections and shit.

I always get a chuckle when I see them selling them months later for "personal expenses". Those are the people we are dealing with that are fucking up the market. That and the people whpo buy Christoph's Analogue MVS like its the only damn thing in existence.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
For someone to be in their early 30's now (and have disposable income), they would have been about 6-7 in 1990 and 17-18 in 2004. They'd have no nostalgic value of the Neo Geo, as it wouldn't have been on their radar. They'd have grown up with the PS1, PS2, XBOX, and entering college would have had the Wii/360/PS3.QUOTE]

Maaaan...do you not remember being a 9 year old kid haha?! There's nothing more obsessive than a 9 year old! I'm 30 and remember playing NES when I was 6...then I saw the first Sonic game and *literally* that was all I thought about. I think anybody my age remembers reading game magazines when they were kids and seeing the AES and going "HOLY SHIT...I need this." Obviously most of us never got one...I watched a cousin of mine play SS1 *once* for about 15min when I was maybe 10 or 11 and I still remember that clear as day...aaand a mere 17yrs later I finally got to buy it and play it myself hahaha

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
For someone to be in their early 30's now (and have disposable income), they would have been about 6-7 in 1990 and 17-18 in 2004. They'd have no nostalgic value of the Neo Geo, as it wouldn't have been on their radar. They'd have grown up with the PS1, PS2, XBOX, and entering college would have had the Wii/360/PS3.QUOTE]

Maaaan...do you not remember being a 9 year old kid haha?! There's nothing more obsessive than a 9 year old! I'm 30 and remember playing NES when I was 6...then I saw the first Sonic game and *literally* that was all I thought about. I think anybody my age remembers reading game magazines when they were kids and seeing the AES and going "HOLY SHIT...I need this." Obviously most of us never got one...I watched a cousin of mine play SS1 *once* for about 15min when I was maybe 10 or 11 and I still remember that clear as day...aaand a mere 17yrs later I finally got to buy it and play it myself hahaha

I agree, the last thing that obsessed me (before the boobs) are the MagLord/Last Resort pics on the magazines and had no choice than picking up an AES with my first income...

giggsy07

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Fuck spending big.Buy you're favourite titles if you must and multicart the rest.As mentioned darksoft is contemplating a multi.Be super if it arrives..

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
Good to see you back on the forum, been a while

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
If there was an everdrive, then people would be using proper dumps of the games and there would be no difference between the everdrive and the actual cart.

I'm by no means a collector, but I have yet to buy one of these. I prefer using the original cart or CD. I don't want start up a game by selecting roms from a menu. Perhaps if there were enough extremely high priced games that weren't crapola to play I could justify the cost of getting one of these for occasional use. Of course I have the benefit already of having most of the games I want to play already, which makes all this easy to say. The timing must really be bad to get into "retro games" right now. But as others have said when people who have just been riding it as a fad get out of it, things should equalize a bit.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
As long as the current gen stuff remains stale, more and more people will go for retro instead.

Hello

Crossed Swords Squire
Its def hard to collect in today's market without having loads of cash unless you go mvs or cd I haven't really gotten anything nice since i lost my market priv months back Ebay is just too unstable to be buying aes and even mvs/cd alot of times snarf snarf

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This whole thread feels like someone is desperate to get their marketplace access back. :thevt:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
As long as the current gen stuff remains stale, more and more people will go for retro instead.
I wouldn't call current gen stale.

Just overly centric and revolving around mass 'experiences' or reality; many games have pretty become interactive movies.

The art of making short, well crafted, fulfilling gaming experiences that can be wrapped up within the hour with 1000% replayability are gone.

And 99% of that 'indie dev' PSN/XBLA shit, I really can't be arsed with. Even the new Strider HAD to be a Metroidvania wannabe...

kris79

Cheng's Errand Boy
I wish there was a retailer that would specialize in Neo Geo and set a booth up at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Wouldn't that be awesome to see stacks of Neo Geo home carts/MVS carts for sale.

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
This whole thread feels like someone is desperate to get their marketplace access back. :thevt:

First of all, I didn't realize that they might be gone in the first place. I have nothing to sell here anyway.

Second, I've been here for a very long time and don't feel the need to spend every waking moment posting crap or whatever. Having been out of the Neo for a few years, I realized that it would be nice to get back some if the games I really liked. That's why I started the post, because the prices I saw on eBay were insane.

Lastly, it's good to see that this site still has it's fair share of trolls, with nothing else to do but give their useless opinions about other people's posts. So thanks for confirming that.

Last edited:

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Good to see you back. Yeah, this place has changed a bit, but some things stay the same. :)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
First of all, I didn't realize that they might be gone in the first place. I have nothing to sell here anyway.

Second, I've been here for a very long time and don't feel the need to spend every waking moment posting crap or whatever. Having been out of the Neo for a few years, I realized that it would be nice to get back some if the games I really liked. That's why I started the post, because the prices I saw on eBay were insane.

Lastly, it's good to see that this site still has it's fair share of trolls, with nothing else to do but give their useless opinions about other people's posts. So thanks for confirming that.
icon29.gif

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Easily butthurt I see. No wonder you stayed away. :keke:

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member

Jesus, Nancy. Get defensive much?

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
Such a great place, why stay away so long?

Back on topic, neo prices are nuts, it will bottom out in a while though, maybe... The consolized system proliferation really jacked up mvs prices. Stick to the few you love and it's not too bad, just don't love 5sp.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

Back on topic, neo prices are nuts, it will bottom out in a while though, maybe... The consolized system proliferation really jacked up mvs prices. Stick to the few you love and it's not too bad, just don't love 5sp.

Agree. However loving Pulstar or Ganryu can be problematic too, even on MVS.

Regards.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If you're serious about getting into it again, starting out with a 161-1 multicart is the best way to go. You'll get a really big chunk of legit, fully working games that will tide you over until you can get the real carts for them. That's what I'm doing right now.

One thing I've learned so far with the market the way it is now is to have patience and wait for those good deals to pop up. Its less of a problem here, but elsewhere there's so many flippers, gougers, and scammers that the prices have gone freaking bonkers. The Euro market has also caused prices to skyrocket, especially for AES carts.

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy

Right?!

Yeah they are definitely nuts. What's 5sp? (Is that Sam Show V Special?)