Is it even possible to get back into the 'scene'?

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
Wow, you think the whole 'kids have now grown up and have money thing' is it? The Neo was around from 1990-2004, and was more my generation than 30 year olds.

I was a sophomore in college when the Neo came out, and played it constantly at the college union. No one could afford the Gold system. I turned 30 in 2001, and the Neo was done 3 years later.

For someone to be in their early 30's now (and have disposable income), they would have been about 6-7 in 1990 and 17-18 in 2004. They'd have no nostalgic value of the Neo Geo, as it wouldn't have been on their radar. They'd have grown up with the PS1, PS2, XBOX, and entering college would have had the Wii/360/PS3.

So, I'm not sure that this is the reason. Someone my age who would be looking to do what you've said is likely have had disposable income for a while now. Same thing for systems like the NES. It came out when I was a freshman in high school. Wouldn't think a 30 year old would have much interest, since they'd have less nostalgic connection, since they would have been 1-2 when it came out.

Anyway, what do I know. I just know that prices for everything across the board are getting f'ing ridiculous - and I don't see why. Are people thinking that these are investments? Just pisses me off when someone pays inflated prices which drive the price up, then two years later, decide that it's not cool - then sell. Now, someone who wanted them all along can't afford them because of the inflation. (BTW - I know this is basic economics, I get it - but it still pisses me off because of the 'trendy' factor.)

Rant over - I'd prefer to think that the technical abilities of people to consolize systems like the MVS to play on their TVs has way more to do with the rise in MVS prices. Even 5 years ago, this was much rarer than it is today. I'm amazed at what people can do technically (I know I sure as shit can't.)

Ok, thanks guys. I'm aware that I can take my time and play what I can and buy what I can when they present themselves. It's no different than before, except more expensive and more time in between purchases due to availability. I was just curious if things even become available with any frequency.

Not sure about these multi-carts or whatever. They maybe had a 'Whatever'-in-1 cart when I was selling all my MVS stuff, but they weren't common.

Thanks,
Orri~

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
Wow. You fail at math.

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I must be seriously be missing something here. This place was *hugely* hostile to the 100-in-1 just a few years ago when it came out. Now it's all peace, love--'just emulate the romzors one most underpowered POS you can find, crank frameskip to 50 and stretch the screen to fit." Granted multicarts are a bit better, but they're buggy, and wipe saves (mine does anyway). Just WTF?

It's a great time to collect MVS--maybe collecting full kits is not as easy on the wallet as it was, but it's not terrible. Loose carts in bad condition, often with aftermarket cases/labels are the new norm. But it's not all bad. We have the awesome Omega MVS now, which is one of gaming's best bargains ever, and an assortment of shockboxes, sleeves, etc to pretty up those ugly loose MVS carts. The failed kickstarter for replacement shells would have helped even more--a shame about that. Also the XRGB-mini has come out in the last few years bringing retro-gaming in general to common HDTV's--the neo looks goddamn fantastic on it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If you're in your 40s then don't bother. Video games are for kids.

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
Wow. You fail at math.

How exactly? Someone who is 30-31 (or just entering their 30's as was mentioned), would have been born in 1983-1984. They'd be 6-7 in 1990, and 18 or so in the final years on the Neo.

Did I miss something?

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
I must be seriously be missing something here. This place was *hugely* hostile to the 100-in-1 just a few years ago when it came out. Now it's all peace, love--'just emulate the romzors one most underpowered POS you can find, crank frameskip to 50 and stretch the screen to fit." Granted multicarts are a bit better, but they're buggy, and wipe saves (mine does anyway). Just WTF?

It's a great time to collect MVS--maybe collecting full kits is not as easy on the wallet as it was, but it's not terrible. Loose carts in bad condition, often with aftermarket cases/labels are the new norm. But it's not all bad. We have the awesome Omega MVS now, which is one of gaming's best bargains ever, and an assortment of shockboxes, sleeves, etc to pretty up those ugly loose MVS carts. The failed kickstarter for replacement shells would have helped even more--a shame about that. Also the XRGB-mini has come out in the last few years bringing retro-gaming in general to common HDTV's--the neo looks goddamn fantastic on it.

+1

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
doesn't the xrgb alter frame rate AND aspect ratio?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
How exactly? Someone who is 30-31 (or just entering their 30's as was mentioned), would have been born in 1983-1984. They'd be 6-7 in 1990, and 18 or so in the final years on the Neo.

Did I miss something?

I was born in 1980. I was 15 when I met Kof 94/95 and 16 when I met Metal Slug. Loved the Neo Since then. I now have some extra cash I use to get the games I loved back then and get some I never met but have loved (I never saw Blazing Star back in the day).

Regards.

noCLip

Camel Slug
your so angry was just trying to give an example. im 29 and was born in 1985 and got an snes when i was like 9 or 10, an nes when i was a bit younger. Cheers mate. your doing great

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
Didn't want to make this an age discussion. Obviously if you're on the forums, you like the Neo regardless of your age.

I was just commenting on how the average someone who just turned 30 is less likely to have a nostalgic connection to the Neo than someone who is 40, simply because of where each was in their life at the time of the Neo's hey day.

Anyway, back to the original discussion...

What titles that were readily accessible a few years ago (MVS or AES) are not very available now, or have become much more expensive?

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
your so angry was just trying to give an example. im 29 and was born in 1985 and got an snes when i was like 9 or 10, an nes when i was a bit younger. Cheers mate. your doing great

I thought you had good insight; I'm not sure why you thought I was angry.

I'm angry at the current state of collecting video games, but not at your comments.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I'm 34 and I got into playing Neo games in the arcade. A friend who lived down the street from me, with the only big house in the area had a gold system, but the two of us didn't hang out inside very much to play it. I'm not into multicarts, and if I ever have to get a CMVS instead of my cab for space reasons, I will not be very pleased! Nothing against it though, I just tie Neo-Geo into that nostalgic arcade experience. If you don't end up getting a cab I would say go for a Supergun from Jamma Nation X, this way you can use other PCBs with it too.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I viewed the header as sarcasm myself....
BB

Reaperman

Kuroko's Training Dummy
doesn't the xrgb alter frame rate AND aspect ratio?
See now that sounds more like this place. Higher than high standards. I knew your psp comment had to have been a fluke or possibly the result of a mild seizure. Perhaps a lack of sarcasm meter on my part.

In truth I don't know. I suspect that if it were really researched and tested, Framemeister's scaling and encoding would be found to have limitations, but I haven't seen that information online. I think it's entirely possible that it might not be exact, either by fault of the system's design, or perhaps some theoretical limitation on how good it could possibly be. Still, old systems have generally never looked better on common HDTV screens.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I think neo_moe is going to be selling a bundle AES, PM him, unless you're just posting for market privs

Orrimarrko

Kula's Candy
I think neo_moe is going to be selling a bundle AES, PM him, unless you're just posting for market privs

Thank you for the referral.

(Definitely not posting for market privs; been here way too long for that. I usually just don't post very often.)

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
It may be horrible people like me, I'm 26, played Metal Slug for the first time when I was about 9, and it's been my favorite game ever since. Built my first CMVS at 18. Wouldn't be surprised if the scene is being blown up by people my age who never had the opportunity to own a Neo back in the day, and were mostly into games like MOTW and KoF 98.

But yeah, prices are insane as of late, I haven't bought a Neo game in months. From what I've seen it's hit all the other 90s and early 2000s arcade games as well, not just the Neo stuff.

Good luck though man, I'm in that third category too, and if you're gonna get back in this might be your last chance.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Is this actually going to happen?

If so, can see a lot of people flushing their expensive titles in favour of, what is effectively, an EverDrive for the NeoGeo?

I always thought the unique architecture of each cart and it's layout/set-up would have caused issues whilst trying to achieve this?

I don't think so. Collectors will just put there original games in a vault and just use the multicart.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I don't think so. Collectors will just put there original games in a vault and just use the multicart.

Funny, I do the exact opposite. I use the multicart to review some games that I did not play in the day or maybe I remembered wrong (like better than they really are) but I usually prefer the original cart because I am sure I am playing the real deal, not some hacked rom inside a bad quality chinese cart that may introduce bugs/fueatures that alter the original experience.

Regards.

Bar81

20 Year Member

Concur. If you're a collector, you won't let them go just because a multi cart comes out - we already have multi carts and collecting has gotten crazier since their introduction, not the other way around - they haven't had any effect on the collecting mentality.

Bar81

20 Year Member
Funny, I do the exact opposite. I use the multicart to review some games that I did not play in the day or maybe I remembered wrong (like better than they really are) but I usually prefer the original cart because I am sure I am playing the real deal, not some hacked rom inside a bad quality chinese cart that may introduce bugs/fueatures that alter the original experience.

Regards.

If there was an everdrive, then people would be using proper dumps of the games and there would be no difference between the everdrive and the actual cart.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Is this actually going to happen?

If so, can see a lot of people flushing their expensive titles in favour of, what is effectively, an EverDrive for the NeoGeo?

I always thought the unique architecture of each cart and it's layout/set-up would have caused issues whilst trying to achieve this?

That's the plan...

---

Interesting thing is the FGC is starting to transition over to CPU for Tourney/Stream play.

Seems the CPU is much easier to setup with a ROM and interface with a USB joystick.

The only thing holding them back and stopping them from changing over are the IPs and Sponsors.

So, if they can get a way with it, then more games should get dumped back into the pool.

Last edited:

jason_971

n00b
I did the same thing. I sold off most of my collection of all arcades, not just my mvs, and am just now getting back into it. Deals were much easier to find 10 years ago, and like others have stated, the value of some games, even common ones, has gone up significantly. I recently bought another mini mvs cab and a multicart. There are differences in some games, and the cart can be glitchy, but for the most part it's pretty good. I will slowly build my mvs collection over time when good deals arise, especially on games not on multicarts and the ones that don't play the same emulated.