Is driving a right or a privilege?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think the prediction has been "Current year + 10" for the last 50 years.

They’ve found ways to make decent petrol synthetically, so it will probably never truly go away.

But, eventually it will become a niche / enthusiast product. Even the oil production world know the gig is up over the next 30 years.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Trolling aside:

Freedom of movement is unquestionably a right.

I think it follows, then, that driving an automobile for the purpose of free movement, is also a right.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Trolling aside:

I think it follows, then, that driving an automobile for the purpose of free movement, is also a right.
What about movement across an imaginary line?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Trolling aside:

How about free movement in a tank?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
How about free movement in a tank?

I would say yes as:

There are numerous privately owned tanks in America.

Issue of the armament aside I see no issue with driving a tank so long as you don’t damage property that isn’t yours and (on public roads) don’t impede traffic.

That said with firearms, at least, the Supreme Court has set an “in common use” standard. So one could apply that to what types of vehicles were assumed to be within the scope of the right. As tanks aren’t in “common use” it’s possible they could face similar limits in so far as exercising the right to free movement. But I dunno I’m not a lawyer.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Driving is a privilege. Nothing about driving in the Constitution.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
It's kinda both IMO.
We have the right of free movement but not the method.
As in, you're free to travel to Texas but the way you get there is dependant on what you can afford, the so called privilege part.
I can walk to a location for free but if my wallet allows it I can use the privilege of a bus, car, or aeroplane to get there as well.