I'm going to Chicago for new year - What to do?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I'm at Gino East now. Waiting on a pie. I'll have to wait and see, but it's going to have to be damn good to top mellow mushroom, or hound dogs in Ohio. Ohio secretly has some amazing pizza joints. I ready get my garlic bread with cheese. It's OK.

Gino's < Lou's. Mellow Mushroom is a large chain and a different style of pizza.

madman

Gino's and Lou's are also sizable chains .

Lou's has 43 places in the Chicago area, 15 of which are dine-in. Gino's has 16 locations. I wouldn't really compare that to a national chain with over 150 locations. Anyway, different styles of pizza.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Lou's has 43 places in the Chicago area, 15 of which are dine-in. Gino's has 16 locations. I wouldn't really compare that to a national chain with over 150 locations. Anyway, different styles of pizza.

you're the one talking how its bad to go anywhere with good marketing on this thread. just sayin dude. a chain is a chain- and it does not get any more gimmicky in chicago pizza then those two.

madman

you're the one talking how its bad to go anywhere with good marketing on this thread. just sayin dude. a chain is a chain- and it does not get any more gimmicky in chicago pizza then those two.

Where did I say it's bad to go anywhere with good marketing? I said there are places that do well solely because of their marketing and/or hype. I think Au Cheval is based on marketing, I've proven the point. It's generic 80/20 food service beef and Kraft singles. That is a fact. If you want to wait 3 hours for that, more power to you. The other user who thought I was making that up then asked how people buy into it and later admitted he'll still go there is a perfect example. People buy into the marketing hype. Superdawg is overrated IMO; people love the nostalgia, cute boxes and names. I'm not exactly sure what the Lou's marketing gimmick is that you're referring to. If the pizza came in a cartoon box and was called a Whoopskipizza I could see that as hype. Pequod's is by far my favorite pizza in Chicago and there's no fancy marketing behind their product.

A chain is not a chain. Are you saying Papa Johns pizza is the same as Lou's because they're both chains? Portillo's is a chain and I stick by them, they've been consistent since I was a kid, we'll see how the new ownership holds up. And you're the guy saying Uno's is the king of deep dish in Chicago. Remind me again which neighborhood in the city you live in.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Where did I say it's bad to go anywhere with good marketing? I said there are places that do well solely because of their marketing and/or hype. I think Au Cheval is based on marketing, I've proven the point. It's generic 80/20 food service beef and Kraft singles. That is a fact. If you want to wait 3 hours for that, more power to you. The other user who thought I was making that up then asked how people buy into it and later admitted he'll still go there is a perfect example. People buy into the marketing hype. Superdawg is overrated IMO; people love the nostalgia, cute boxes and names. I'm not exactly sure what the Lou's marketing gimmick is that you're referring to. If the pizza came in a cartoon box and was called a Whoopskipizza I could see that as hype. Pequod's is by far my favorite pizza in Chicago and there's no fancy marketing behind their product.

A chain is not a chain. Are you saying Papa Johns pizza is the same as Lou's because they're both chains? Portillo's is a chain and I stick by them, they've been consistent since I was a kid, we'll see how the new ownership holds up. And you're the guy saying Uno's is the king of deep dish in Chicago. Remind me again which neighborhood in the city you live in.

Do people still actually eat Papa Johns pizza. It was hot up here in the early 2000s cause it was a new chain, but man is that some disgusting pizza.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Do people still actually eat Papa Johns pizza. It was hot up here in the early 2000s cause it was a new chain, but man is that some disgusting pizza.

They are nationally ranked number 4, behind in order Pizzahut, Dominos, and Little Cesar's.
"With more than 4,700 locations in all 50 states and in 34 countries, Papa John’s has reached $3.32 billion in annual sales. John Schnatter opened his first store in 1984."

Pizza Hut has been around since 1958, but at the current pace they are poised to overtake hot n ready most likely ;-)
#pizzafacts

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
They are nationally ranked number 4, behind in order Pizzahut, Dominos, and Little Cesar's.
"With more than 4,700 locations in all 50 states and in 34 countries, Papa John’s has reached $3.32 billion in annual sales. John Schnatter opened his first store in 1984."

Pizza Hut has been around since 1958, but at the current pace they are poised to overtake hot n ready most likely ;-)
#pizzafacts

Pizzahut is an oddity around here. They are few and far between nowadays and they are all awful. I'm not a big HnR guy either, but I'd rather eat it over the other fast food pizza places. All this pizza discussion should be moved to the thread Christoph made about pizza.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Pizzahut is an oddity around here. They are few and far between nowadays and they are all awful. I'm not a big HnR guy either, but I'd rather eat it over the other fast food pizza places. All this pizza discussion should be moved to the thread Christoph made about pizza.

XINSERTX HOUSE OF PIZZA is the leading chain.

Where are there Pizza Huts and little caesars? Who is Papa John? Don't they mean Papa Gino's?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
XINSERTX HOUSE OF PIZZA is the leading chain.

Where are there Pizza Huts and little caesars? Who is Papa John? Don't they mean Papa Gino's?

There is two Little Caesers in Brockton. The last time I saw a Pizza Hut was in Quincy, but that one is closed. Also, I'd rather eat a Mama Celeste then Papa Gino's...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

You brought up places with good marketing strategies twice. Nothing personal- i'm not attacking you or anything, it just seemed that you were very dismissive of anything with decent marketing. Only reason i brought it up.

Ask yourself that as you bought into it :) It's the marketing, people wait 3 hours and they like it because they're told it's the best burger.

That's about the only great thing. Another hype/marketing/nostalgia machine.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Worst flame war ever. Can we talk about hot dogs again?

Hey, you can only get this in Flint, Michigan and it's awesome!!!!

bc1d126a3815dc33f3b95c3a76b0b1af.jpg

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Worst flame war ever. Can we talk about hot dogs again?

Hey, you can only get this in Flint, Michigan and it's awesome!!!!

bc1d126a3815dc33f3b95c3a76b0b1af.jpg

coneys are delicious.

i was just in highland park having some serious bagels and lox today too. If you are into jewish deli and not near downtown for mannys, north shore 'burbs are where it's at.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I love both the Detroit and Flint coneys but prefer Flint style because I was raised on them.

If by some god forsaken accident you end up passing through, my favorite place is at the Genesse Valley mall, food court, Palace Coney Island. Been eating their coneys since I remember being alive.

madman

You brought up places with good marketing strategies twice. Nothing personal- i'm not attacking you or anything, it just seemed that you were very dismissive of anything with decent marketing. Only reason i brought it up.

Nothing personal taken, I'm very passionate about food so I get worked up. Places that are over hyped really get me going too.

i was just in highland park having some serious bagels and lox today too. If you are into jewish deli and not near downtown for mannys, north shore 'burbs are where it's at.

Skokie has some great spots as well. New York Bagel & Bialy has the best bagels and then you've got Kaufmann's Deli as well w/some really nice sandwiches. Did you ever go to Stash's in HP? I was sad to see them close, but once they moved to the new location and tried a new concept I knew their time was limited.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Nothing personal taken, I'm very passionate about food so I get worked up. Places that are over hyped really get me going too.

Skokie has some great spots as well. New York Bagel & Bialy has the best bagels and then you've got Kaufmann's Deli as well w/some really nice sandwiches. Did you ever go to Stash's in HP? I was sad to see them close, but once they moved to the new location and tried a new concept I knew their time was limited.

ny bagel on touhy? (i believe there is another one at north ave. and the river across from the best buy in the city too). its a standby for me, but i live on the south side so its tough to get to with any real frequency.

I was at max and bennys this morning. Once upon a bagel is also tremendous. I had NY Slices in HP as well last night (closest thing to a NY pie around and it is damn good!).

I may have been to stash's, but its been a hot minute so i cant remember.

Last edited:

madman

ny bagel on touhy? (i believe there is another one at north ave. and the river across from the best buy in the city too). its a standby for me, but i live on the south side so its tough to get to with any real frequency.

I was at max and bennys this morning. Once upon a bagel is also tremendous. I had NY Slices in HP as well last night (closest thing to a NY pie around and it is damn good!).

I may have been to stash's, but its been a hot minute so i cant remember.

Yeah, there's one on Touhy, I think it's the same owners as the Dempster one that I go to. Where'd you get the slices in HP? There's a pizza place in Ravinia (Edit: It's Piero's and is in HP) I've been wanting to check out, can't recall the name of it off the top of my head. In the city, Jimmy's and Cafe Luigi are about the only 2 places I'll go for a NYC style slice. I've been going to Luigi's for 15 years now, it's a little off now that the owner sold it/retired, but still pretty damn reliable.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yeah, there's one on Touhy, I think it's the same owners as the Dempster one that I go to. Where'd you get the slices in HP? There's a pizza place in Ravinia I've been wanting to check out, can't recall the name of it off the top of my head. In the city, Jimmy's and Cafe Luigi are about the only 2 places I'll go for a NYC style slice. I've been going to Luigi's for 15 years now, it's a little off now that the owner sold it/retired, but still pretty damn reliable.

its actually called ny slices. owned by a couple of ny natives. they even get the grease right! it's a serious pie.

http://nyslices.com/menu/

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I think the reason those pizza chains are so popular is because people are cheap bastards. Little Caesars is shit pizza, as is pizza Hut. Domino's has went down the shitter over the years too. Pizza Hut is becoming extinct in columbus Ohio, there's actually a website devoted to discovering closed pizza huts, and what they are now. There's just so many good hole in the wall pizza places in columbus, that are not much more expensive that people flock to. I just finished up night two in Chicago. Leaving early afternoon tomorrow. So far it's been good, but I am far from impressed. I don't regret coming for sure, but I know I have no desire to come back. Toronto is only one hour further from Columbus, I'll probably go there next. I normally to to Gatlinburg in the smokey mountains about once every 2 years, and really like it there much more than Chicago. Maybe it's because Chicago is so similar to columbus, but more of a hassle to have fun in a lot of ways. I'm sure the summer would be much better, it's frigid here right now.

Last edited: