I'm going to Chicago for new year - What to do?

Naika

Street Hoop Star
you know america's boring as hell when the best recs for visiting one of the biggest cities in the country is 'they've got good hot dogs'

There's lots to do in Chicago that doesn't really need to be stated (museums, walking through iconic neighborhoods and etc), but you really cannot find decent Chicago food in other places throughout the U.S. unfortunately. I live in Florida now and it has jackshit.

Also, he picked the worst time to come to Chicago. Remember, we only have 2 seasons there: Winter and Construction.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
There's lots to do in Chicago that doesn't really need to be stated (museums, walking through iconic neighborhoods and etc), but you really cannot find decent Chicago food in other places throughout the U.S. unfortunately. I live in Florida now and it has jackshit.

Also, he picked the worst time to come to Chicago. Remember, we only have 2 seasons there: Winter and Construction.

winter is happening right now. along with construction.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
What about the Billy Goat Tavern? Last time I was there was about 20 years ago. Seemed legit

It's a cool spot to check out, but the burgers aren't really good at all. Not a bad place to stop in for a beer or two, the crowd is usually touristy and friendly on weekends.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
It's a cool spot to check out, but the burgers aren't really good at all. Not a bad place to stop in for a beer or two, the crowd is usually touristy and friendly on weekends.

billy goat is fun for the novelty and you are right by the river north entertainment district: places to eat, shopping, bars, one of the headquarters locations is there.

Head up to Logan Square and go to Logans Hardware (good arcade) with a fantastic puerto rican place next door. from there go into wicker park which is like lincoln park/ lakeview/ wrigleyville without a lot of the cost/ congestion/ prices. However you will see neck beards and other forms of hipsters. Over there check out hot chocolate (great fancy bar and good hot cocoa, lol) and the blue line tap. Go a little south of there (about chicago and ashland) and eat at duks- one of the great greasy spoons in the city. Also check out the silver palm for the three little piggy sandwich- it's incredible.

Most of what i'm suggesting is pretty cheap (i know someone said 'chicago and cheap' dont go together). its a pretty affordable city if you know where you are going.

Last edited:

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
I know chicago isn't known for its pastrami, but there's a hidden spot in the french market underneath olgilvie station in the loop called fumare, and they have this montreal style pastrami that's incredible. best pastrami sandwich I've ever had. you pretty much have to go during lunch (around 11am) during the week since they sell out pretty fast. the aesthetic of the french market is pretty grand too.

then there's harold's chicken... with one being right off of wabash in the loop. fuuuuuuck I might have to go tonight lol.

if you want one of the best burgers in chicago, there's au cheval and small cheval, but a lot of times the wait is 3 hours at au cheval since they don't take any reservations. an alternative burger spot would be the metal burger bar "lockdown" which is similar to kumas corner but better. $10-15 is kind of a lot for a burger from both places... but it's worth it.

the lagunitas brewery in Chicago is very aesthetically pleasing and anyone I bring there from out of town loves it. it closes at 9pm though since it's in a bad area.

from there go into wicker park which is like lincoln park/ lakeview/ wrigleyville without a lot of the cost/ congestion/ prices. However you will see neck beards and other forms of hipsters. Over there check out hot chocolate (great fancy bar and good hot cocoa, lol) and the blue line tap.
wicker park has/is changing to a more yuppy & bro crowd. when I moved out of the wicker area in October a lot of the bars were becoming overrun by the bro-type dudes with beer trolleys constantly passing through. still an awesome area though.

Last edited:

madman

if you want one of the best burgers in chicago, there's au cheval and small cheval, but a lot of times the wait is 3 hours at au cheval since they don't take any reservations.
The au cheval generic food service 80/20 Sysco meat and its Kraft singles slices (truth) is the greatest marketing scheme pulled on unsuspecting people in a LONG time. The fact people wait hours for that is hilarious.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
well small Cheval fixed that if you still want sysco meat and kraft singles*

*it's way better than that tho ;/

madman

well small Cheval fixed that if you still want sysco meat and kraft singles*

*it's way better than that tho ;/

It is Sysco meat and Kraft singles. http://chicago.eater.com/2015/4/15/8393037/au-cheval-burger-week-the-hot-dish#4716834
I also confirmed that with a Sysco rep. The burger is 100% hype. Anyway, sorry to derail but with so many good burgers available in Chicago for less, made with quality meat, it bugs me that people are fooled by the Au Cheval product.

Last edited:

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
that's insane. how does it still have so much hype? granted... gene and judes is amazing but they still use Vienna hotdogs and are known as some of the best in chicago... I agree with that too

madman

that's insane. how does it still have so much hype? granted... gene and judes is amazing but they still use Vienna hotdogs and are known as some of the best in chicago... I agree with that too

Ask yourself that as you bought into it :) It's the marketing, people wait 3 hours and they like it because they're told it's the best burger. Gene and Jude's is a classic shop, they do what they do well and there's nothing wrong w/Vienna dogs.

Some Mist

NEST Puppet
Ask yourself that as you bought into it :) It's the marketing, people wait 3 hours and they like it because they're told it's the best burger. Gene and Jude's is a classic shop, they do what they do well and there's nothing wrong w/Vienna dogs.

well yeah :P but I'm not going to stop going either. There was an old rumor that it's all in the gene and judes grease btw. I guess I should clarify that it really isn't in Chicago either.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
I can personally vouch for the Puerto Rican place next to Logan Hardware, outstanding! Whenever I go up to Chicago, I usually stay at this SHITTY Super 8 right by Gene and Jude's, never stopped in b/c it was usually packed everytime I drove by.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I know chicago isn't known for its pastrami, but there's a hidden spot in the french market underneath olgilvie station in the loop called fumare, and they have this montreal style pastrami that's incredible. best pastrami sandwich I've ever had. you pretty much have to go during lunch (around 11am) during the week since they sell out pretty fast.

This sounds like my kind of joint.

Any legit Jewish Delicatessens still in business in Chicago? Obviously NY will always be king of the Deli, I make pilgrimages to Katz at least once a year. Is there a close alternative in Chicago?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
When we were there 12 or so years ago we were stuck in downtown and the only place to get anything to eat near our hotel was Uno's/Due's.

If you're able to get out of the city, I strongly suggest Portillos. :)

So again I'll ask, is the Uno's in Chicago considered authentic deep dish or is it just a tourist trap. I know the franchise is mainly a New England thing now, but it's the only place I've ever eaten a deep dish pizza . I want to know if I'll be universally disappointed in it or if I'm missing something.

madman

This sounds like my kind of joint.

Any legit Jewish Delicatessens still in business in Chicago? Obviously NY will always be king of the Deli, I make pilgrimages to Katz at least once a year. Is there a close alternative in Chicago?

Manny's is probably the most famous place here. There's also Eleven City Diner which is a little more upscale and also Perry's in the loop.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
So again I'll ask, is the Uno's in Chicago considered authentic deep dish or is it just a tourist trap. I know the franchise is mainly a New England thing now, but it's the only place I've ever eaten a deep dish pizza . I want to know if I'll be universally disappointed in it or if I'm missing something.

Unos and Dues (Across the street from each other) are completely different from the chains. Related, but the menus are vastly different. Yes their pizza stacks up against anything in chicago. They lose the marketing wars to places like ginos east, but the real unos places are hands down the kings of chicago deep dish.

Manny's is probably the most famous place here. There's also Eleven City Diner which is a little more upscale and also Perry's in the loop.

Mannys kicks ass.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Unos and Dues (Across the street from each other) are completely different from the chains. Related, but the menus are vastly different. Yes their pizza stacks up against anything in chicago. They lose the marketing wars to places like ginos east, but the real unos places are hands down the kings of chicago deep dish.

Is the pizza similar though?

Some Mist

NEST Puppet

Manny's is incredible too. I honestly prefer the pastrami at fumari, but the corned beef at manny's......... fuuuuuuuck

I was told "good luck finishing all of it" when I went there because they pile it on, but I finished all of it multiple times (and they have green river readily available every time I've gone).

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Any thoughts on Ranalli's Pizza? I've had it numerous times up there during Lollapalooza, always thought it was pretty damn good.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Yep, it's mediocre at the chains and mediocre at the Uno/Due locations here as well.

bullshit.

it's completely different from the chain at the 2 flagship stores in the city. its a great pie.

madman

Any thoughts on Ranalli's Pizza? I've had it numerous times up there during Lollapalooza, always thought it was pretty damn good.

Used to be a decent thin crust, but I haven't had it in 10 years or so, so I can't say either way.

Edit: It's now owned by the douche frat bro bar company Four Corners. I'd avoid it at all costs.

bullshit.

it's completely different from the chain at the 2 flagship stores in the city. its a great pie.

Do you live in Schaumburg or Naperville? In seriousness, it's been years since I've dined at Uno's, just not worth it with the wait. Last time I ate there I wasn't really impressed and would've rather had Pequod's.

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
bullshit.

Pizza casserole just isn't for me. Chicago dogs on the other hand are simply amazing. Vienna beef with the neon green relish and onions is hot dog perfection.