I swear I've seen this before in a KoF game

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
Is this pixel animation like a straight rip of a character animation from a KoF game or am I crazy? I feel like they just took the sprite and swapped the head and added tits.

7MapiZQ.gif

I thought it was K's or Rock Howard, but I can't seem to find any comparable sprites. I swear I've seen this character animation before though.

Does anyone recognize it or did they just do such a solid homage to KoF that I'm simply imagining it? (This is from a Kickstarter BTW)

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
Iori had crossed my mind as well.

I'm not looking to spear this Kickstarter by shitting on it if it's not justified, because it does look pretty damn cool, but if they're straight stealing sprites I don't want to drop my money on it. I also want to walk the fine line of making accusations and then posting a like to or naming the campaign. I'd love to just straight discuss the game here, but I also don't want to promote a campaign that's snaking sprites if that's the case.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I see what you mean. It does remind me of a KOF character, but I can't put my finger on it. I guess this may skirt the fine line between the art being "inspired by SNK" and outright sprite theft. It reminds me of all those Beats of Rage mods that use modified KOF or SVC Chaos sprites.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
This is just a sprite edit...

Take a look at this:

athena.gif

You would think it came out of a KOF game. It's just a sprite edit of athena.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
So...you're saying what exactly? They took the animation and threw a new face and clothes on it?

Here's another example of something that looks really familiar (Iori?):
2LErnSF.gif

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Kinda reminds me of Benimaru's run animation in KOF '99, but looking at it it's not identical.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I'm cool with them using KoF as a heavy inspiration / reference. I'm just trying to figure out how deep this goes.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
They didn't shy away from flat-out saying it's "KoF and Castlevania inspired". So I'm guessing they're aiming for the fanbase of KoF. Do you think they're taking the risk of stealing assets and then pointing it out to the same audience who would notice it?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
They didn't shy away from flat-out saying it's "KoF and Castlevania inspired". So I'm guessing they're aiming for the fanbase of KoF. Do you think they're taking the risk of stealing assets and then pointing it out to the same audience who would notice it?

Shes pretty much Iori with tits.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
I sent them a PM on Kickstarter asking them flat out if they borrowed assets from KoF, and named Iori. We'll see how that goes....

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
What I was saying is that they are just sprite edits. You can create a whole game by modifying existing sprites or creating new ones with the snk style.

Check these out:

iori-homer.gif

iori_visual_2_sprite_by_darkmaysonwc-d4869a1.gif

174113.gif

The ones you posted look like edit from various SNK characters.

As long as they are not selling it, this is just fan art.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
So I got a response:

"we obviously used KoF sprites as reference, they are very similar but this assets are ours, the last move is based on the Iori hit, the run from Angel. The only assets borrowed temporarily is the explosion smoke but in the final version will be different. We are big KoF fan, but we have no intention to make a copy"

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
At least they owned up to borrowing from SNK KOF.

enix2093

Crazed MVS Addict
FWIW they don't seem to be shying away from it. Guy said he's going to answer some questions in the FAQ in case anyone wondered.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Using altered sprites is all well and good for a home brew but I've once you want real money is time to get some real artists.

I'm also getting tired of the whole "make it look 16 bit" fad on modern setups because small devs can't do modern artwork.