I feel helpless

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Damn! Turned on Facebook and saw a post that one of my friends is tired of living, there's no point to life, and he's going to kill himself. I messaged him not to do it, and posted the suicide hotline webpage and phone number for him too. Then I called him up in FB messenger on my phone, let it ring like fifteen times, but, no answer. He lives in South Carolina, and I'm in Michigan, so, I then looked up and called the police department down there, but just got an automated message to call 911, which I did, and they're looking into it. I could only give them the information he has on his FB profile, which, unfortunately, does not include his home address (assuming he's even there). I hope he's all right. Normally, he just posts about Pokémon and Kingdom Hearts video games, he's never posted anything like this before, so, I fear the worst. . .

I don't know what else I can do. :(

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Can you get in touch with any of his relatives or friends that live near him? Maybe one of them knows where he is.

@M

20 Year Member
I really don't know him very well, just through Pokemon, but, I can look through his friend list and see if any of them look like family. Thank you for the suggestion.

@M

20 Year Member
I scrolled through all of his 300+ friends and only one woman had the same last name, but, I shot her a message.

@M

20 Year Member
Central dispatch just called me back, they traced his address through the department of motor vehicles and went to check on him and he's not there . . .

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Central dispatch just called me back, they traced his address through the department of motor vehicles and went to check on him and he's not there . . .

I'm not sure if that's good news or not?

Grim situation anyway, hope it turns out ok.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Damn! Turned on Facebook and saw a post that one of my friends is tired of living, there's no point to life, and he's going to kill himself. I messaged him not to do it, and posted the suicide hotline webpage and phone number for him too. Then I called him up in FB messenger on my phone, let it ring like fifteen times, but, no answer. He lives in South Carolina, and I'm in Michigan, so, I then looked up and called the police department down there, but just got an automated message to call 911, which I did, and they're looking into it. I could only give them the information he has on his FB profile, which, unfortunately, does not include his home address (assuming he's even there). I hope he's all right. Normally, he just posts about Pokémon and Kingdom Hearts video games, he's never posted anything like this before, so, I fear the worst. . .

Move far away from Michigan. Place is cursed. Kills souls.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

You can report suspicious content like suicidal ideations to Facebook directly. Also you did well by reporting to the police for a health and welfare check.

If you can get in touch w him, by all means encourage him to talk and at least stay safe for the moment being. He'll most likely need to be supervised in a hospital for a bit until he's stable.

Also, have him text HELP to 741741. It's a crisis text line if he's not comfortable talking on the phone and completely anonymous.

Above all, know that you've done the most you can with the distance and information you have. We always want to think "What else could I have done or can do", but at the end of the day it's a lot of energy spent on little gain. Set the wheels in motion and be there if and when he needs it moving forward. None of this is your fault, and you've done more than the vast majority of others in his life right now.

@M

20 Year Member
Good news, the dude finally got back to me and is still among the living. He got into a fight with family, felt suicidal, and just took a nap after the scuffle. I asked him if he's okay and he said yes and I told him he can call or message me anytime if he feels that way again or just wants to talk. I called 911 again to let them know that he's okay too. Whew!

I sent him the help text link too, Ggallegos1, thanks!

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Someone I knew through gaming circles went through with it. Walked in front of a bus in new york.
He had said he didn't want to keep living, but he said that for 5 years. I hadn't checked in with him in a while. Gonna miss the guy, but I'm angry with him at the same time.

You did what you could. You did more than what others would do.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
What a roller coaster. I'm glad it worked out. A little concern goes a long way when people are at their lowest.

@M

20 Year Member
I can understand being skeptical if they say that all the time, but this was the first time this guy ever even talked about his personal life, let alone suicide, so that set off klaxons for me.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
What a roller coaster. I'm glad it worked out. A little concern goes a long way when people are at their lowest.

Very true and also the reason I'm still alive.
Just had the right peoples around me at the right time. Although they didn't know at the time. Didn't talk about it.
Was a very long time ago and am doing just fine and have no reason too anymore. Never really did actually.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Good outcome. A little concern/help goes a long way for ppl in crisis.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Good for you for doing what you did to help out, man. Glad it worked out. Seriously, good job.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I am very glad to hear this turned out all right.

Suicidal depression isn't something one can easily pull out of on their own. It takes a lot of factors to climb up out of that hole but with the right help, it can be done.

I was there a long time ago. Having a good wife, good family and good friends looking out for me were bigger factors than any doctor or medication they tried to give me. Not saying meds can't help. They just didn't in my case.

You are good person, M. Good friend to have.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
For men, it can often be problems with their partner or family, that can make things worse.

@M

20 Year Member
The plot thickens, and not in a good way. I found out that he got in a twisted argument with his Mother and her friend and that he struck his Mother and then they called the police on him, and that's what triggered his suicidal episode. I'm glad that he didn't take his life, but, at the same time, I'd rather not associate with a grown man that hits his Mother either. I told him I'd help if he needs me, and I stand by that, but, now I have to wonder if he's really the one in danger here or his Mother is . . .

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Wow, that's quite crazy.
I don't like my mom to say the least but I would never hit her.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah the moment you suspect crazy like that you need to bail.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Grown man that plays Pokémon, smacks his mom and threatens to neck himself.

Sign me up.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Do you know if there's a pattern of this behavior with his family of is this a recent development? Sounds like he's either cracking from some kind of pressure or he's always been like this and can't hide it anymore.

I guess what I'm getting at is if this guy's just bad news and he hid it well or if he's spiralling out of control and his walls are closing in.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Do you know if there's a pattern of this behavior with his family of is this a recent development? Sounds like he's either cracking from some kind of pressure or he's always been like this and can't hide it anymore.

I guess what I'm getting at is if this guy's just bad news and he hid it well or if he's spiralling out of control and his walls are closing in.

“The pressure to beat Charizard is real and all consuming! Find me a mom to hit!”