How many games did you have per system?

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I had about 25 TG-16 games and around 48 NES games in 94' growing up with both systems.

Didn't get a PS1 until like late 90s, didn't get my own SNES until early 2000's.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I should add that the only system for which I did not pay most of the money to get it was the C64 that I got in 1984 when I was 14. Before that, I had no gaming system except for a Universum Pong that I eventually traded in for a Carrera race track. When I wanted to play games before I got the Commie, I had to hunt for a cab that we kids were allowed to use. Arcades always were 18+ over here so the only chance to play the latest games was to find a cab that was standing outside of a supermarket/in a mall/in the atriums of big cinemas or other places where kids were allowed to go. It still was against the law for kids to play video games there but it was tolerated by the owners and ignored by the police so I spent years of my childhood at places like that. My fave place was the atrium of the Admiral cinema palace here in town that was stuffed full with cabs, they always had the latest stuff.

The Amiga entered my house in 1987, I paid for it using all my saved money and also got some support from my mother.

Any other system and games I paid for with my own money, and no, I don't regret it. :)

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Had a Coleco with a bunch of games, could've been five or so. My first love... almost arcade perfect.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I won't get into specifics, but I will say I went apeshit on the NGPC and Dreamcast because I was fresh out of college, living with my parents, and making good money.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
for us it was no more than 15 per system when my parents were buying the games. Once I was a teenager and able to scrape money together, I was able to buy a bunch more.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nearly none. I'll draw the line at what I had when the system was still being offered at retail, a system that I got new in the box (again, at retail), and only games I bought new.

NES:
-pack in SMB/DH cart,
-SMB 2 (the only new NES game I ever had),

(on a side note, the only 2 other games I ever had when the system was current were Metal gear and Zelda).

SNES:
-pack in SMW,
-Final Fantasy II (bought new),
-Secret of Mana (bought new, returned once I beat it),
-Final Fantasy III (bought new, returned once I beat it)

Playstation:
-Persona
-Need for Speed II
-Final Fantasy VII
-Metal gear Solid
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Mega Man 8
-Crash Bandicoot 1/2
-Crash Team Racing
-Parasite Eve

N64:
-Mario 64
-Paper Mario

Dreamcast
-Phantasy Star Online
-Marvel vs Capcom 2
-Bleem for Metal gear Solid

Playstation 2
-Ridge Racer 5
-Final Fantasy X
-Camcom collection 1/2
-SNK collection
-Midway collection Vol 3
-Taito collection vol 2
-Metal gear Solid 3

GameCube:
-Mega Man Collection
-Mega Man X collection
-Paper Mario 2
-Midway collection 1/2
-Sonic collection
-Zelda collection (technically go it from Nintendo)

XBox:
none (owned the system but never bought a single game for it)

Wii:
-Super Paper Mario
-Guitar Hero whatever it was (sold it)

Playstation 3:
-Lego Star Wars collection
-Fallout: New Vegas
-Pinball Hall of Fame, Midway
-Gran Turismo Prologue
-Metal Gear Solid 4

...at the moment, save Game Boy games, that's all I can think of.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Until I started working at 14 we had at best 10-15 games per console max, renting and trading with friends was the only way to go.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Until I started working at 14 we had at best 10-15 games per console max, renting and trading with friends was the only way to go.

With the NES, this was the only way to go (for me), I rented and borrowed a ton.

Once the SNES hit, that kind of changed. I could borrow games on occasion, but it became pretty rare. I rented a ton.

After that, borrowing died off 100%. Renting pretty much died off for me after the PS1, I did rent a few for the Dreamcast and the XBox but it was few. It's easily been 10+ years since I've rented a game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Before I became an adult, I'd say I had less than 10 on each system. I had a lot of NES carts pass through my hands as a kid since it was cheap and popular, but they would disappear a lot. Probably swiped by my sisters' scummy friends. When I moved to a new house at the age of 12 and packed up my stuff I could only locate maybe 5 games for NES. The fuckers also swiped my SNES right before the move too.

In the next few years lawn mowing money pumped my collection back up, mostly SNES and Genny games, but I probably topped out at 10 or so. When I turned 18 and got a real job the floodgates opened. I had real money for the first time, the SNES and Genesis were pretty much dead and I could buy almost anything I wanted cheap, and the Playstation and Saturn were in full swing.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
With the NES, this was the only way to go (for me), I rented and borrowed a ton.

Once the SNES hit, that kind of changed. I could borrow games on occasion, but it became pretty rare. I rented a ton.

After that, borrowing died off 100%. Renting pretty much died off for me after the PS1, I did rent a few for the Dreamcast and the XBox but it was few. It's easily been 10+ years since I've rented a game.

I actually loved renting because we had a bunch of stores to search nearby. I could ride my bike to any of them and it was like some sort of treasure hunt, especially in the NES days. Even with some of the newer consoles like ps3/360 I used gamefly here and there because it was convenient, but like anything it all comes down to available stock.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member

Yes. I borrowed games from friends, rented, and only got 1-2 games per year from my parents for Xmas and birthday. If I saved my allowance, I might have bought a game or two during the year. Used to ride my bike to Target to buy Mario 2. :lol: :lol:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Borrowing/renting was great. I didn't have many games myself, but I played everything.

jsiucho

Sakura's Bank Manager
15 Year Member
I had most of games on my Genny,, perfect time to be at that age:

Nes: 12
Genny: about 40
Game Gear: 13
PS1: 20

newer stuff a bunch of games but 50% are still sealed, no time to play.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Borrowing/renting was great. I didn't have many games myself, but I played everything.

Even though I lived in a small town of about 2000, tons of local kids had a NES and once the newness wore off, would lend me games on the regular. I literally had a list in my head of who had what and who would lend them out.

In 1991, A friend of mine got Final Fantasy and once he beat it, I asked to borrow it. His father wouldn't let him lend it out no matter how hard I tried (man, I wanted to play that game so bad). I remember one time I hauled over at least 10 NES games over to his house to do a sort of "deposit trade" with him...even offering up all of them, his father refused. That guy was such a dick that when my friend would come over to my house and bring it with him (the best idea we had for me to play it), he'd call my house to remind him to bring it back with him. That guy was such a douche.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I had a really good mix of people to trade NES stuff with in my hood back in the day.

2 doors down, a pair of brothers who lived with their mom post divorce, naturally they were showered with games by the guilty parents. I mostly borrowed Trojan, Section Z, Kid Icarus
A block away, a kid who's dad owned a pharmacy that also rented games - kid always had a ton of amazing games. Mostly borrowed Double Dragon 1 and 2, Guerrilla War, TMNT Arcade
Friend down the street had an uncle who worked for Taito - Mostly borrowed Renegade, River City, Bubble Bobble, Legend of Kage
Friend down a block from the guy above - Mostly borrowed Castlevania, Ikari Warriors, Stinger, Wizards and Warriors
Next Door neighbor married middle aged guy with no kids - Mostly borrowed Sky Kid

Can't believe I even remember this shit.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Parents were against getting a Nintendo, so I did almost all my gaming at friend's house / arcades (probably the reason I collect today).

Only thing we had was a Texas Instruments TI99. Had about 15 games for it. Had a few great games. My dad would secretly get me computer games too. Had about 20 games total from the late 80s - 90s.

First console I ever bought wad an OG Xbox, and got roughly 8 games for it. My buddy worked at a Hollywood Video so I got free rentals which was awesone.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
When I was in middle school, around 10-15 Gameboy games was all I had, not counting the family Atari 2600, which was my stepfather's, but once I became an early teen, and could earn some money of my own, things exploded. For years, EVERY FUCKING CENT I made on my paper route went to Funcoland; the newspaper company could have saved me time and just directly deposited my checks at Funco.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i have around 25 games for each console i still own. i have twice as much for the atari 2600. will be selling them all soon with the exeption of the dreamcast. might keep the saturn for some of games like panzer dragoon. don't even play the actual consoles anymore thanks to emulation.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I had a commodore 64 and a TI-994A instead of an Atari 2600. I remember going to my cousins and envying them for having 2600s. Used to play Pac-man and Haunted House at my cousins place. I had a shitload of pirated stuff on the C64 because of no or little copy protection. That's the last time I ever dabbled in warez. Everything I play now is legit. I pay for all my games - it's easier and you appreciate the games much more.

Last edited:

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
NES: ~30
SMS: 3
Game Boy: 3 (Kirby, SML, Tetris)
Genesis: less than ten
Game Gear: 2 (Sonic 2, WSB)
Saturn: about a dozen
Dreamcast: less than ten
PS2: ~40-50
PS3: about a dozen

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I don't remember - but it was a different time back then. A time when going to a garage sale with $20 would get you 10 NES games. Or you could ransack Electronics Boutique $0.25 clearance bin.

Also, back then I used to borrow and trade games with my school chums. Now when I ask my coworkers if they want to borrow or trade any games they look at me like I am crazy and tell me to "STFU, you pathetic man-child"...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had a really good mix of people to trade NES stuff with in my hood back in the day.

2 doors down, a pair of brothers who lived with their mom post divorce, naturally they were showered with games by the guilty parents. I mostly borrowed Trojan, Section Z, Kid Icarus
A block away, a kid who's dad owned a pharmacy that also rented games - kid always had a ton of amazing games. Mostly borrowed Double Dragon 1 and 2, Guerrilla War, TMNT Arcade
Friend down the street had an uncle who worked for Taito - Mostly borrowed Renegade, River City, Bubble Bobble, Legend of Kage
Friend down a block from the guy above - Mostly borrowed Castlevania, Ikari Warriors, Stinger, Wizards and Warriors
Next Door neighbor married middle aged guy with no kids - Mostly borrowed Sky Kid

Can't believe I even remember this shit.

Oh yeah, borrowing games from kids in the hood was awesome. That reminded me of this one kid who was a real dick. His dad (a really nice guy) also liked playing the NES, so he had pretty much every good game there was. All the Megamans, Contras, and they just got SMB3 when it was new! But his kid, total dick. He asked us if we wanted to play Nintendo, we were like "YEAH!" and we saw he had SMB3. He then proceeded to play it. By himself. Nobody got to be player 2 or had a turn.

I later added him to my "enemy" list and got into fights with him.

geise

Mickey's Coach
I have to many yet not enough. I have decided to stop buying though cause there is always something i can play. There are games I have from the early 90's I have yet to finish lol.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
I had a shitload of pirated stuff on the C64 because of no or little copy protection. That's the last time I ever dabbled in warez. Everything I play now is legit.

i don't think even one of my games was legit for the commodore 64 when i owned one. come to think of it, i don't remember any one owning legit games for the c64. the only time i came across official software for the system was in libraries.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
C64 i had a friend who had all the pirated games...I would go to his house & play even when he wasn't there...

Also remember going to my parents friends house who were pretty well off, they had a swimming pool & even a pond inside their house. The parents were really nice but the son was such an asshole. He really enjoyed tormenting me by sitting on me & farting...I had to endure that shit to play all his NES because all i had was fucking Mario/Duckhunt.