How many games did you have per system?

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Plenty of people have huge collections now, we all work and have some spare cash to throw around, but back when the systems we know and love came out the cash situation was very different, for myself at least.

I'm just interested how many games people managed to buy for whatever consoles they owned when the system was current? Just use your own common sense to decide on 'current', I can't be fucked defining it, you know what I'm getting at.

For all of my systems I managed to get together enough money for between 10-15 games maximum.

Doesn't seem like a lot when you consider the libraries some of them have.

P.s. there was no neo system in my life during it's run :(

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
I liked to have between 10-20 games per system I owned. There was some exception like the PSP, which I had over 30 games or the GBA which I had about 30 games as well.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I rented plenty of games at the time as my parents were more willing to go that route than buying games new.

Some rough guesses:

NES - 2 (borrowed the system so it came with some good stuff already)
Genesis - 12
Gamegear - 2
PS1 - 25
Dreamcast - 10
PS2 - 30

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Atari 2600: 5 to 10

C64: More than 100 (don't remember exactly)

MSX: 20 to 30

Amiga: 50

Atari ST: Only 5 or so, I used the ST mostly for music

Mega Drive/32X/CD: 30 to 40

PSX: 30

Neo Geo/NGCD: I bought about 10 carts when the system was still supported (now I have about 25) and had about 50 to 60 CDs (90+ now)

DC: 25 to 30

GC: 10

PS2: About 40

Xbox: 15-20

Xbox 360: 8.

I started working in 1988 so I had a bit of money at my disposal, back then rents and energy prices were low, earning 1500 Deutschmarks was really something.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
If I got one game for christmas and one for my birthday, with a rough average lifespan of 5 years per console... probably no more than 10 games per system.

Mind you, I rented the shit out of plenty of games.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My parents bought pretty much every console system growing up but they never bought a single game. Only the game that came with the system. If i wanted a game, i had to go earn it somehow or steal it.

I dont think i had more then 10 games per system except for the 3DO, which i traded my SNES w/ NBA Live 95 & $50 cash for Goldstar & bunch of games.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't remember the exact numbers, but:

NES ~45
SNES ~40
Genesis ~30

I was a spoiled brat growing up. My parents and grandparents bought me a shit ton of NES games and some of the SNES games.

I did however get a job at 16 that allowed me to buy many more SNES games, also picked up a Genesis and a lot of games for it as well.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i had a ton of games for NES and Genesis as a kid. Probably like 30 or 40 games or more per console. I used to buy them used every time I got some spare cash back in the day at places like Blockbuster Video. They would be so cheap i couldnt resist. Way too many to remember. That was probably the first signs of the emerging hoarder/collector in me :)

SNES was a secondary console that I got for my BDAY in 94. Didnt end up buying a whole lot of games for it in the end. More quality then quantity on that one.

X-Men Mutant Apocolypse
Megaman X
Final Fight 3
SMW plus Allstars
KI
DKC2
DKC3
ALttP
Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose
Carmen Sandiego
....thats all I can remember

N64 I had like 20 games by the time I sold it I think.

No point in counting anything passed that because I started collecting with Saturn and Playstation and stopped selling all my disc based games after thst. Hundreds of games for each console.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
We didn't have a lot of money when I was growing up, so I was just lucky to have systems. For the NES I think I had 9 games, the Genesis maybe 3, and for the Game Boy I think I had about 6. I used to rent or borrow games as much as possible, but the only time I was going to get something that expensive was Christmas or my birthday (in which case I could get just one) and I usually opted for something else, like a baller Lego set.

I got a computer when I was 13, so that because my primary gaming machine because I would just get copied games from friends. So then I was doing odd jobs for family or for neighbors and saving money for computer upgrades because it paid off in the games being "free".

When I got my Playstation I was about 20 years old and was working full-time, so that was the first time that I could just buy games basically whenever I wanted. I still rented a lot of games, but I probably ended up owning around 30 or so when the system was current-gen. Basically the same story for every console since then.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
This is where you find out which kids were silver spoon.....

I usually had about 20-30 games by the end of a console's life.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I didn't keep any more than a dozen games at a time. When I got tired of a game I'd sell it and put the cash toward a new game. Or trade with a friend. The only system I had a ton of games for was my Commodore and they were mostly pirates.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I don't remember the exact numbers, but:

NES ~45
SNES ~40
Genesis ~30

I was a spoiled brat growing up. My parents and grandparents bought me a shit ton of NES games and some of the SNES games.

I did however get a job at 16 that allowed me to buy many more SNES games, also picked up a Genesis and a lot of games for it as well.

I had a friend who's dad who either ran a store or had some crazy hookups. That kid had every fucking game and all the main system. it was crazy. Freaking 10 year old with hundreds of games across Genny, SS, SNES, N64, PS1, GG and GB

I had another friend of a friend who's family was rich. Now that kid had every damn system. He even had TG16, Jaguar and 3DO

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I average about 20 per system

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
If I had to guess I must've had about 10-ish PS2 games, 8-10 GBC and GBA games, and (from '06 up until now) about 20-25 Xbox 360 games.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I didn't buy many, and I was given a few over the NES, GB and early SNES years off holiday. I had to do a good many chores but then there was Christmas and B'Day in there each year. It's hard to kind of remember back to the 80s and 90s.

Guesstimating things I think I figured out some years ago I had around 40 NES and SNES games during its life span (1985 Christmas-SNES launch 1991 on NES and 1991-1996 N64 release for SNES.)

Gameboy (DMG) is a bit trickier, it was cheaper so I could get them more especially with sales. I'd guess again around the 40-45 mark using this site: http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_games (They have listings by region and by all Nintendo systems.)

N64/GBC I was in college and had stayed at home(Free as it was 20min away) and had a part time job so I could get more things and that same site I count 50 games for N64 and 40 plus 2-3 maybe.

My cash situation on games was far better in the latter 90s and early 00s than it ever was. I got far more games though in the 1995-2005 range than ever but it was a mix of things from less responsibility for paying bills and full time working not at home, but also when I was at Midway for a couple years I got many new systems and got hardcore with the others and went through games like water. Then 4 years doing game media I had feebies for the GBA and DS mailed to me, a few dozen games I probably mostly would not have bought so it throws it all off. Even so I'd say I've put most into handheld, especially GBA over the others. Beyond that, can't say, I bought a good many Gamecube, DS, 3DS, PS whatever, even going back to NES through 64 period used that shouldn't count.

bryan

Geese's Thug
About 10-20
But.......
My mom worked at a local video store, any and all rentals FREE, even systems. What a time it was 95-2001!!

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I had a friend who's dad who either ran a store or had some crazy hookups. That kid had every fucking game and all the main system. it was crazy. Freaking 10 year old with hundreds of games across Genny, SS, SNES, N64, PS1, GG and GB

I had another friend of a friend who's family was rich. Now that kid had every damn system. He even had TG16, Jaguar and 3DO

My parents gave me an allowance of $5 and later $10 a week, which I'd save a few weeks for a game. They also bought me games for birthday and Christmas.

My grandma worked at K-mart, so she would spoil me with games fairly often. I'm sure she got a pretty good discount. She bought me the good stuff too, like Ninja Gaiden 2, Megaman, even Dynowarz and TMNT lol.

All in all, it wasn't a good birthday or Christmas if I didn't get at least 2 games. Hell, I even got games for Easter sometimes, I remember Zelda II being a gift for one of those. :lolz:

I always drooled over the TG-16 kiosk at The Good guys! and Circut City, but that was one system I couldn't convince anyone to buy me. I later got a Super Nintendo with SMW and F-Zero instead. Fuckin' A, I was so spoiled looking back.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I had around 30-40 SNES games at one time, all mint and complete. Stupidly left most of the carts with an ex-girlfriend. Every other console or computer was maybe 10-15 at once. My mind has blocked out what I sold or traded them for. Probably for the best.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Most I even had was 52 games for my famiclone. I had a 52-in-1 pirate cart :). Then I had like only 3 games for my SNES (Mario World, Starfox and Super Street Fighter II, I still have those 3 carts). The rest of the games were rented. Same for my Sega Genesis. For my PS1 I had lots of games, because it was modded to read copied games. I had a CD burner, access to fast Internet and knew how to find the iso files.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Ranges from 3 (wonderswan) to 53 (Famicom).

Caliburn89

Kabuki Klasher
My childhood collection wasn't terribly big, probably floating around 5-10 games per console.

Saddest thing is the amount of trade-ins I did with decent games. That and going through 3 copies of FFT because I stored it in a shoebox in my closet and it got beaten around by animals.

It's obviously way bigger now. Like 40+ games per console, I think I have nearly 100 games for PS1, and PS2.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
BTW, the only system I have more than 1 game for now is my Famicom, I have Everdrives (and SD2SNES) for the rest, lol. No regrets.

Going to only keep Akumajou Densetsu and any other expansion audio games and sell the rest when I finally get around to getting the Famicom N8.

EDIT: I take that back, I have like 3 SNES games still :lolz:

Last edited: