How far are you from SELLING your collection?

BishopSNK

n00b
I am new to this site/forum however, I am not new to collecting. I joined because I recently acquired the AES Home system and CVMS. Total I own 6-MVS carts and 6-AES carts.

I started with playing neo geo games via emulators/ dreamcast :) I have discovered personally the game play is more authentic and nostalgic especially on my cart TV. Therefore, I will never sale.....and probably not purchase, as I have reached my limit for investing in games..lol

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Having recently ventured into MAME... I am very compelled to sell it all actually. I'm sure the neo geo plays quite well in MAME...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yes it does, so does cps2, to me those are the most important.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
That's pretty much the reason why I even decided to build a MAME box. I was fed up with the cost of CPS2 carts and their battery dependence/costs involved to remove that problem. Being able to play anything else is a bonus. It's very very tempting to sell up entirely except the AW heh FOTNS has a special place in my heart.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love MAME and could live with just that and NES, I could emulate NES as well but there's that child in me that refuses to let go of NES, prolly my favorite system ever because it has my favorite games ever, I know it's before SF, the world of video games changed for me drastically after SF, I know I'm not alone on that one...but before SF, it was all about NES, lots of love to all the other consoles but NES man, there's just something about it...maybe someday when I manage to let go...I would love to make my own NES setup, some people have done it, some consoles look insane, I'd love to do a project like that. One of these days I have to shell the cash for a JAMMA NES, it's just the way to go...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
There's always something you will find hard to let go of. Talking NES, I have fond memories of playing Kung-Fu Master and Duck Hunt pretty much before anything else. Along with many titles on the Master System. If I had a few more years with them I 'd be in the same spot as you. Was too little to make a stronger connection :emb:

For me it is the Neo, I never lived with it and it's been a teenage enlightenment and since I've found it hard to kick. I don't want an emulated alternative, I want the real thing. It will pass however, in time.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
NES is very special in my life ... Contra, Super mario, Rockman, Ninja Gaiden and the other ... They are very impressive memory really ... I still remember that's sweet time when I was young ...
I take them to my daughter for play and then she played short time and bored, she said it's too hard :(
Present game almost play easy and not practise much ...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Every day I increase the price that I would sell my carts for. Right now it's over $2000.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Don't get me wrong I have a hard tiome of letting go of everything otherwise it would be gone but at the top of the list the NES is king for me. It's just the way I played the games back then, so commited, so ethereal...of course there's a fair share of turds on the system but I'm just happy with my favorites which is what I actually own...wouldn't mind getting my hands on some other titles but less than a handful and I have a ED as well, so I'm pretty much all set. Also, 'cause over time and spoilment of myself I ended up hating the Advantage stick, something I used to swear by as a kid, now I had to make a NES stick with Sanwa parts out of a desktop enclosure...it has served me extremely well...given my raw talent and OCD for everything awesome, I set the start and select buttons at thumbs reach for Batman...mostly Batman but other games too like G.I. Joe Taxan, Kabuky Quantum Fighter and so on...

BATMAN SUNSOFT CITY

DSC03185.JPG
DSC03186.JPG
DSC03188.JPG
The stick is just a spare from a Madcatz I modded, eventually I did change it to a JLF, maybe I'll change it to a JLW, just love the design on those...I dunno the stiffer spring really adds to the experience...
It's simple and cheap but I love it. I was thinking of hacking a MAX pad but part of me was hesitant 'cause Turbo feels like cheating...although now I really want to, screw it, I wanna cheat! I might do it just like the MAX pad as in the turbo buttons will be smaller than the non turbo buttons. Just like the start and select size...or maybe I'll get smaller Start & Select buttons and use 24mm for the turbo buttons...I dunno, so many options, it takes me forever to make something 'cause I always struggle with the best possible layout, most of my shoe boxes are ruined...lol...now I just use a cheap piece of wood and clamp it to a test box I made...just for testing layouts of course...

Had some art in mind but can't decide, maybe I won't even bother, it looks gethorriffic as is...
AB NES AFSOJ P.jpgAB NES P.jpg

Was also thinking of hacking an advantage stick, you know, add all the turbo knobs, switches, the works...but in truth, I dunno, I like having the choice of having both B turbo and B non turbo thatw ay I can switch on the fly on games like Megaman where sometimes I wanna charge and sometimes I wanna turbo...lol, I know, I know, I'm mental...

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Regardless of the artwork you pick, that is a clean, well made stick man. I'd be happy with it as it is. :)

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
ElectricGrave: Wow ... beautiful control !!! D.I.Y is very proud for builder. I like to use this stick for shooing game. It gives better feeling than normal stick. Good job really :)

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
ElectricGrave - Very nice, clean arcade stick layout!

As for selling, I sold all my consoles and games off months ago. I have MAME, STEAM and some other emulated bits. So far so good. Just picked up an XBOX ONE and 360 again but may start buying games slowly. I am still deciding.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'M going to sell everything eventually. Just waiting for the prices to get so ridiculous that I could make enough to pay off the rest of my current mortgage or enough for a down payment on a new home. ;)

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
NES was the milestone for me and I guess many here, back in the day I could finish ninja gaiden with one life so do contra and most of the ones I loved, but time passed by and now I can't even get by the first mission without losing a couple of lives, I guess I became stiffer or less focused once I started playing FPS's, I attributed that to FPS and RPG games they get you out of sync in my case, in other words lazy.

Nice to see you still have it EG.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks for the compliments, I wanted one of this...
img00001.jpg

...but decided to make my own simply 'cause I wanted a better start select placement without having to abandon the action buttons...that ascii stick looks awesome though...the case is built like a tank.

I found one on ebay real cheap and told K-2 about it 'cause we were talking about it during a meet we had and he's a great pal so...here's his video in case anyone is interested in the ascii stick and wants a closer look.

Last edited:

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
Nice stick EG.

But how can you not like RPG? :)

Dragon Warrior is one of my all time favorites.

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
Nice stick EG.

RPG's were my favorite genre when I was younger. My favorites include Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, StarTropics, and Zelda. However, these days I seem to have a lot less free time so I enjoy games more that take less time such as Arcade style games.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Nice stick EG.

I don't like the gameplay, it dulls my senses...the closest things to RPGs that I play

SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters...not a RPG but still
Castlevania SotN...not a RPG either but levelling up is sorta RPGish
Dark Souls...same as above...

Out of all the big head cheesy RPG themed games I've played and beat was Illusion of Gaia, not a RPG either but it had that RPG personality, you know, little kids, big heads...cheesy narrative.

I did play Final Fantasy I when I was a kid but the language barrier at the time was a problem for me. I also managed to beat Lunar SSS PSX, I enjoyed the saunas...that's the sole reason I played it, lol. I also played Valkyrie Profile and did like the real time attacks but eventually grew bored of it.

I don't like RPG games 'cause I feel they are too mundane, hold by the hand gameplay, silly stories, no reward, no sense of urgency, no fear of death, just grind cheese commands and move forward, I don't mind grinding for leveling up, I do it in Dark Souls but I don't like the grinding on RPGs where the enemy has no chance to kill you.

Also I detest just commanding attack or defend, I rather do the combat myself, you know, real time combat.

If all RPGs were like Dark Souls I'd be all over them.

Last edited:

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
So if you ask me the question "How far are you from SELLING your collection?" then I would tell you I would sell everything if the price is right. If you manage your collection well, you should be able to break even or make money with these classic games. With new games that is hard to do as they quickly go down in value.

I think the original question is actually part of a much larger question "What are you doing with all of your stuff?" If you are not using it, then are you just hoarding it? Or is this some sort of investment? Or is it something else?

I'll share my general theory on owning stuff with you. If you haven't used it in a year and don't plan on using it then it is time to get rid of it unless you are keeping it as an investment. For example, when I go through my closets full of clothes and I see stuff I haven't worn in a year I either donate it, throw it out, or start wearing it again. (Sometimes a cool shirt gets hidden in the closet when you have too much stuff).

Last edited:

mastamuzz

Eager Beaver
I wouldn't dare to touch a final fantasy again, just the thought bores me to death!

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I can't recall ever liking any rpg. I remember playin final fantasy 7 and getting through the 1st disc and never playing any more after that.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
RPG's were my favorite genre when I was younger. My favorites include Dragon Warrior, Final Fantasy, StarTropics, and Zelda. However, these days I seem to have a lot less free time so I enjoy games more that take less time such as Arcade style games.

This is where I am too in my life. I have a large collection is PSX RPGs I feel like I'm never going to have the time to play, but I lack the motivation to sell. I too keep thinking of trimming the fat off my collection, but the limited free time I have these days keeps me from doing so. I will say that I have far less games now then during the pre-Everdrive era, so that's a win in my book.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
So if you ask me the question "How far are you from SELLING your collection?" then I would tell you I would sell everything if the price is right. If you manage your collection well, you should be able to break even or make money with these classic games. With new games that is hard to do as they quickly go down in value.

I think the original question is actually part of a much larger question "What are you doing with all of your stuff?" If you are not using it, then are you just hoarding it? Or is this some sort of investment? Or is it something else?

I'll share my general theory on owning stuff with you. If you haven't used it in a year and don't plan on using it then it is time to get rid of it unless you are keeping it as an investment. For example, when I go through my closets full of clothes and I see stuff I haven't worn in a year I either donate it, throw it out, or start wearing it again. (Sometimes a cool shirt gets hidden in the closet when you have too much stuff).

This is an excellent point. In my case I still have games from my childhood, I did beat the bejesus out of most of them but I haven't gone back to some in quite a while. I'd like to sell and thin the heard to a point that I'm only left with my most favorite games and just emulation for the rest. I would def maximize on what I love the most, like SF for example, I'll always play it, so I'm not gonna let go of my ST or CPS3 stuff, things like that.

I don't think of video games or hobbies as an investment, I just think of them as fun, I wanna play them and enjoy them, that's it. I should sell but haven't due to being lazy, that's the truth, I don't find that the money is worth a while for me to put up with the hassle, like I said, if you wanna come and buy easy peasy, by all means come down and get a load off, but I'm just not the type that has the patience to go through the ordeal of selling, I sold a bunch of games in the past, that's when I cleaned myself from all RPGish stuff and just kept the genres I love but it was a pain in the ass...later I sold some cabs, that was a pain in the ass and I also regret selling some of my cabs.

I will sell and get rid of some of the games I just don't go back to as much as I should, I mean I'm pretty happy with my selection now, there are a couple turds here and there but that's mostly with new gen stuff 'cause sometimes it's hard to tell if a game is gonna be great or not ie: Shadow of Mordor and not for like of trying, it's just not great, I thought it would be, I wanted it to be but no cigar, so in that sense selling a game like that is a loss just like you said. I don't mind loosing, after all I did open and played the damn thing.

Arcade wise, yeah I got some stuff I could def part with, I don't need all the Neo Geo futbol (soccer) games, as much as I love them I'd be just fine with the SS series, that's more than enough, tecmo '96 and Goal x 3can go, same thing for Brawl and the others. Keeping Neo Cup '98 it's basically a SS game anyway and it's my favorite. I'd keep all the KOFs, just 'cause I don't play '96 as much as '95 doesn't mean I'm not gonna play it, I will, if at least to play with Geese and Krauser legit, you just can't abandon that. So it's a pickle, choosing is tuff, at this point 90% of what I own I actually love and 60% of what I own I'm actually pretty decent at, other stuff like shmups is what I play mostly nowdays but I'm still very mediocre, not for lack of trying though, I could use more focus but I hate loosing my edge on other games, sometimes I feel I spread myself too thin and end up not getting real good at some games.

Here's a good example. Prehistoric Isle 1930, I love the game, everytime I play it I get transported to that time I played it for the first time and in turn I start reminiscing of the old days and how great it plays and how it's such an avant-garde type of game, it's a cheapie, I don't consider it a collector's prize nor none of that crap, so if I enjoy it so much but haven't played it in a year, should I let it go? Should I keep just 20 games and rotate as I play them, selling and buying and being perpetually attached to a fluctuating market? I just don't see that as a wise option. I rather keep it, it's not like people are looking for it and it's not really hurting me keeping it.

I've never consider myself a collector, I don't just get something 'cause is well rated or because is desirable, I just get something 'cause I have a genuine interest in it, I want to play it, I want to learn it and ideally I want to master it, commit, all that stuff, solely for my personal growth as a player, to hone more skills, to learn something new, to get that thrill of a new stage, a new level, a new wall, the challenge, all that stuff. I understand not all people feel the same way, some people just buy because it's rare, or because the chase of an obscure game thrills them, some even buy because it's a brand thing, or a certain developer, we all have our reasons and we all don't have to agree with one another as to why we do what we do, nor seek approval for our choices. It's your life, it's your money, it's your time and it's your damn game, you can toss it out the window, I've done that before...

Just m y 2 cents on the matter.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't think I'll ever sell anything from BITD until I'm old enough to not give a shit about this stuff anymore. As mentioned elsewhere on here, I plan to get rid of most of my N64 collection. I was heavily into the N64 during its heyday, but I had a copier to play the games, now I have an Everdrive that's far more convenient so there's no reason I can't use that. Most of what I would consider true collecting is for systems with small libraries like the Virtual Boy, 32X, Vectrex and Lynx. Otherwise I'm an Everdrive/flash cart man for cart based systems and only buy CD games of stuff I actually play. After my MVS sell off years ago I've mainly only bought back stuff I like, anything that doesn't get play will be sold off. The next sell off may be the 32X collection, as I'll never complete it so there's no point having crap like Star Trek Academy taking up space.