How far are you from SELLING your collection?

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Real fucking close. 'Bout to make a Pi rombox, get a cheap PC for Groovymame for my (soon-to-be-mine) cab, and build myself a steambox. I have neither to will nor the desire to keep up a physical collection anymore.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I don't think I ever will. I enjoy having and being able to play physical copies of games whenever I want to.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I sold off my homecart collection over the past couple of years which was about 45 games or so. Now I got NOTHIN.

Couple of games I miss, but I'll get a cab eventually and pick up a few games. Really I don't think there are more than 10-15 games I'd want...if even that...

Can't believe I had 45 games at one point.
So much garbage.
So much expensive garbage.

EDIT:
If I do get back into it...these are probably the only games I'd be interested in reacquiring...

- Last Blade
- Samurai Spirits 2
- Samurai Spirits 3
- Metal Slug
- Metal Slug X
- Metal Slug 3
- KOF 95
- KOF 97
- KOF 98
- Blazing Star
- World Heroes 2 Jet
- Ninja Masters

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Maybe if I had a couple copies of AES Blazing Star laying around...

But seriously the cost of maintaining the collection is less than the enjoyment I get out of playing it. If I ever need the cash for something else though, I probably wouldn't hesitate to trim the fat. As it stands though it's not an issue financially or physically (storage, etc), so I don't see the need.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I only collect for one system (N64) and it is multi-fold. Nostalgia for myself, and a want to share that with my kids - it's the system I grew up on and have the most memories of.

I long ago got rid of stuff I won't play - RPG's, strategy, sim's, etc. I think I own (1) RPG at this point (Fire Emblem for GCN). I consider some stuff mine, as in, I bought it, but it's mostly played by my kids (Wii, WiiU, DS/3DS)

I don't emulate, just don't enjoy it, but i've pared down my games to games I play, or my kids play.

8 PS3
11 360
17 DC-J
60 SAT-J (about half of these are "rentals" that i'll unload after a 1-year SAT-J exploration we are doing on another forum)
47 AES
67 MVS
15 PGM
5 PGM2
2 ATOMIS
11 CPS2
13 PCB
29 Wii
50-60 GCN
180 N64
45 DS/3DS
32 Wii
6 Wii U

I have Zero games from other libraries - no GEN, GBA, PSP, NGCD, NGPC, oxBox, SNES, NES, PCE, PC, PS1, PS2, ATARI, or other.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I've thought seriously about it the past few days. I think I will probably unload everything in a few years. Emulation is getting good enough now where it doesn't effect my enjoyment of the game.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
I collect (hoard) for about a dozen systems. I see a game I want for cheap, I get it, and then I forget about it when life comes around. I'm trying reeeeally hard to take it slow with MVS/AES games (2 and 4, respectively).

That said, I'm not close to selling, at all. Sure, I could live well without about half of my collection, but it's too much of a hassle to sell on a forum; too little of value to dump at a shop. I'd rather say "I'll get to it when I get to it."

It does feel good to purge, though.

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
I sold off all my CIB snes, nes, genesis and Sega cd stuff.
My AES games are staying put. I occasionally sell a game or 2 to purchase another game I want but I enjoy playing my AES too much.
Plus I regret selling a couple games years ago and I refuse to feel that way again.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Plus I regret selling a couple games years ago and I refuse to feel that way again.

That's an important distinction. I think a lot of us as we get older think, "why do I need this" and then unload it - only to have a moment 3 years later where you'd like to play it, only to see it's tripled in value.

Not collecting makes sense.
But it also makes sense not selling unless you truly need that 3/4" of shelf space.

Bar81

Note to self, Place interesting, Custom rank here.
20 Year Member
In retrospect, ignoring the money it cost me to buy it back, the best thing I did was to dump my large collection of homecarts in 2005. When I went back into the hobby this time, the prices made me think harder about what should be in my collection, and only 10 carts made it but the collection is much better that way. Not selling unless I'm going homeless - NTM is getting buried with me.

PS you're still a tool.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
My games don't consume my life or my household, they're a fun hobby I like to do during some of my free time. So I probably won't because I don't buy shit I don't want to keep anyways.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sell, sell, sell, I'd like to sell it all and just keep the cream of the crop...someday, I hate the burden of selling though, you couldn't pay me enough to make a line at the PO, I did once, sold a bunch of stuff, almost 8 years ago or so...it was a royal pain in the ass...some fuckers are just overbearing...they want to teach you how to pack before even committing to buy...lol, bunch of douchebags. Rarebucky comes to mind. If I could sell locally without a hassle I'd be down to sell, come and pick it up!

Edit: When I think of it, the money isn't really gonna change my life, neither is it going to change my situation, I have a large storage and even without games I have other hobbies that involve big items like Kayaks and Bycicles so I love having one, makes life so much easier, specially here in MASS where some things are just seasonal. I had a motorcycle here in MASS and that was perfect for putting away for the winter, I have one in FL and leave it at my dad's warehouse. I like to travel light...

Last edited:

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
My answer for this is the same as my answer for "How far are you from completing your collection?"

One flashcart away :P

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Sell, sell, sell, I'd like to sell it all and just keep the cream of the crop...someday, I hate the burden of selling though, you couldn't pay me enough to make a line at the PO, I did once, sold a bunch of stuff, almost 8 years ago or so...it was a royal pain in the ass...some fuckers are just overbearing...they want to teach you how to pack before even committing to buy...lol, bunch of douchebags. Rarebucky comes to mind. If I could sell locally without a hassle I'd be down to sell, come and pick it up!

Edit: When I think of it, the money isn't really gonna change my life, neither is it going to change my situation, I have a large storage and even without games I have other hobbies that involve big items like Kayaks and Bycicles so I love having one, makes life so much easier, specially here in MASS where some things are just seasonal. I had a motorcycle here in MASS and that was perfect for putting away for the winter, I have one in FL and leave it at my dad's warehouse. I like to travel light...

But you're paying monthly to store all that stuff. Trust me man, running lean is great. I'm always willing to help you out when you decide you wanna downsize. Also, there is no reason to stand in line at the post office anymore.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
That's an important distinction. I think a lot of us as we get older think, "why do I need this" and then unload it - only to have a moment 3 years later where you'd like to play it, only to see it's tripled in value.

This describes me perfectly. Was getting ready to move. Also trying to break into another hobby (3d printing). 2nd kid on the way... So sold my cab and 90% of my games. 3 years later now i've got the itch and slowing trying to piece together my list of missing favs. Luckily i'm not in a rush

I got rid of all my games when I was 17 heading off to college and regretted it for most of my adult life. Now I'm collecting to regain my childhood, I suppose.

I can't see myself ever selling, unless space starts to become an issue and then I might trim.

If you are considering selling, now (or maybe in a year or two when prices peak) would be a good time, I'd imagine. Retro is hot right now and I can't imagine the market sustaining itself for too much longer.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
at one point I had like 60 something MVS carts but I moved around alot so after a couple months in storage, sold the lions share

realistically theres 6 or 7 titles I play most so the rest were expendable

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
But you're paying monthly to store all that stuff. Trust me man, running lean is great. I'm always willing to help you out when you decide you wanna downsize. Also, there is no reason to stand in line at the post office anymore.

I will also help out by buying them :keke:

teamwork-story-teamwork-makes-the-dreamwork.jpg

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'm out of the loop, is this thread in the context of something else going on?

I've been toying with the idea of selling most of my console collection and only keeping my arcade boards.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
if u dont use it why hold on to it

just hoarding at that point

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm slowly but surely selling most of my stuff. It's mostly laziness that keeps my collection as large as it is.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I'm slowly but surely selling most of my stuff. It's mostly laziness that keeps my collection as large as it is.

I'm pretty much the same. I sold a few things to pay some bills. I have everdrives for most of my older systems and should clear my shelves. I just don't feel like the hassle right now.

I do glance at the wtb threads in case someone's looking for something I have. I don't do that regularly though.

Llama

Armored Scrum Object
I am still buying the AES games I like. I have a serious thought to pick up a nice CMVS and buy for that instead due to some of the pricing. I didn't take the indirect advice to get the CMVS from the start, and partially regret it. But as for going all emulation, or not playing at all... No chance.

I don't play any other console games that much. I may have 50 titles total for a few systems.