How do say SNES?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You have to give them a pass if they're from the UK. Australians in particular can't help it. And I think z for s at the end of a word is common up around Pittsburgh as well.

I'd call it a snez, sness just sounds stupid. That or super nintendo which is probably the better way to refer to it.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nintendo Europe marketed the super nes as the snez, I remember reading an interview with some head honcho at the time and finding it odd they would call it that.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So do they pronounce other words ending in s like that?

Businezz
Wildernezz
Shynezz
Creditworthynezz
Yezz

Makez no zenze.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I guess, SMEG?

Spoiler:
megason5.jpg

But I don't give a smeg about it...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Most Americans probably don't know how britfags pronounce the letter Z too.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Damn, for the country that invented the language, they sure do butcher the shit out of it.
It's not my line, but they created the language, we perfected it. Took out all those extra vowels for a start. Colour? Shoppe? Come on now.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I had a guy from Mass come into my work whose accent was so thick no-one could understand him and thought he was a deranged person. They were gonna call the cops on him and started to freakout. I walked over and immediately knew he need a tarp to cover his car in the side yard 14' x 14'.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
In the UK its SNES one word or Super NES. Was watching a you tube video and the American guy started saying S-N-E-S and I was like wtf.

Also Ryu they pronounce Ree- you

Haggar - Hagg-gar

Mario - Mo-rio

Weird.

I guess you get used to the pronunciation in your own country and your own dialogue.

No full stops in America just periods wtf??

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Here in Spain people called it like... all sort of forms. Super Nintendo, Super Nes, S-nes.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
In the UK its SNES one word or Super NES. Was watching a you tube video and the American guy started saying S-N-E-S and I was like wtf.

Haggar - Hagg-gar

Mario - Mo-rio

Weird.

I guess you get used to the pronunciation in your own country and your own dialogue.

No full stops in America just periods wtf??

Lair-a Croft

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ree-you is wrong but at least much closer than the Rye-you that you probably pronounce.

Haggar - Hagg-gar
That looks like how Capcom pronounces the name.

Mario - Mo-rio

Weird.
Yeah, don't even get me started on how the UK butchers Italian names. You must have at least some Italians there. How do you get it so consistently wrong? Are they afraid to speak up or something?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Ree-you is wrong but at least much closer than the Rye-you that you probably pronounce.

That looks like how Capcom pronounces the name.

Yeah, don't even get me started on how the UK butchers Italian names. You must have at least some Italians there. How do you get it so consistently wrong? Are they afraid to speak up or something?

I think hes refering to Americans?

Mario is pronounced Ma-Re-O over here which is correct as far as I am aware?

Met a real Italian called Mario few weeks ago and he seemed happy how I was pronouncing it anyways.

Last edited:

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Any youtube video I've seen from a user in the UK seems to say "snez" outright. Ess-en-ee-ess is how anyone I've ever know says it or "Super Nintendo" or, back when it was main stream, simply "Super". Like, "did you play Mario World on the Super?". That you knew it was Nintendo was a given. But nothing beats an English accent referring the the Atari "Jag-you-are".