High End PC Video Cards aka anyone else have a Titan?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Dunno what kind of hardware you are rocking in your rig, but if it was pretty decent 4 years ago, chances are it will still suffice today. IMHO the increases in performance have kind of slowed down in recent years, and a 4 year old I5/I7 with a decent OC is unlikely to be noticeably slower than a newer gen CPU of the same calibre. I guess the biggest advances have taken place with regard to SSD's and GPU's but those can easily be upgraded without changing your core hardware.

I've been running an i5 750 quad core 2.66GHz without hyperthreading and no overclocking since late 2009, and I'm only now beginning to feel the effects of its age. Start off with a decent enough CPU, and you'll be good for a while.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I've been running an i5 750 quad core 2.66GHz without hyperthreading and no overclocking since late 2009, and I'm only now beginning to feel the effects of its age. Start off with a decent enough CPU, and you'll be good for a while.

You can easily overclock that i5 750 to c.a. 4 Ghz, and more or less have current gen CPU performance in a 6 year old machine. That's an additional bonus of the older CPU's - substantial OC over stock speed was possible, whilst on the newer Skylakes, the OC gains are much more modest.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
You can easily overclock that i5 750 to c.a. 4 Ghz, and more or less have current gen CPU performance in a 6 year old machine. That's an additional bonus of the older CPU's - substantial OC over stock speed was possible, whilst on the newer Skylakes, the OC gains are much more modest.

For gaming, an overclocked first gen i7 and westmere cpus still deliver good performance. I was running an i7 920 @ 3.6ghz that I bought when it came out in late 2008 all the way till 2014 and never once did i ever felt bottle-necked with it. I would still be running it if I didn't sell it. That system went through 2 new storage drives upgrades 2 OS changes and 3 gpu upgrades. All while keeping all the other components the same. The only downside is that the older platforms might not be officially supported with the newer hardware, but most the time it will work.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder

Yeah, but at this point, if I'm going to invest in OC, I might as well just get a new CPU and MOBO and everything for a new build. I'd also like to keep the CPU's longevity as long as possible because I will keep the computer around for occasional use or give it to my dad.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've had my Core i5 2500k OC'ed between 4.3ghz and 4.8ghz since the day I bought it in early 2012. When you're talking about longevity, just keep the vcore as low as you possibly can. Not every chip can reach the highest clocks even at 1.5vcore.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah, but at this point, if I'm going to invest in OC, I might as well just get a new CPU and MOBO and everything for a new build. I'd also like to keep the CPU's longevity as long as possible because I will keep the computer around for occasional use or give it to my dad.

I'm pretty much do the same. I have both my cpu and video card watercooled for longevity and could care less about oc'ing. I rather just upgrade my hardware every couple of years and sell off the old. When it comes time for my next main system upgrade I might just take the parts from my 2nd rig and use them to build a computer for my wife.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Clone your drive to an NVMe pci disk.

2,200 to 2,500 mbps read/write speeds. do that and your i5 will be the last desktop processor you need to buy

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Clone your drive to an NVMe pci disk.

2,200 to 2,500 mbps read/write speeds. do that and your i5 will be the last desktop processor you need to buy

This is the primary SSD on my 2nd PC: ZOTAC SONIX PCIE 480GB SSD

That system is an old 1st gen i5 760 w/ 8GB DDR3 in it(just a simple backup system in case something happens to my primary PC).
With the Zotac in it.. it takes about 3 - 4 seconds before it's fully booted up to the desktop.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
gotta be NVMe, look at the transfer rates

Check out the Intel 750

skylake 6600k

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member

All you would need to overclock is an aftermarket air cooler (30-50 USD), which hardly compares to buying a new CPU / MOBO / RAM. But yeah, regardless, every so often its nice to upgrade to new hardware and with a new build you get e.g. the new connections / interfaces - M.2, USB 3.0/3.1, SATA Express / SATA3 etc.
Skylake is probably the safe, mainstream choice for a new build, that said at times I wish I gone for the X99 platform due to the additional options offered (more cores, more PCI lanes, more RAM etc.).

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Anybody want a 4.8ghz delidded 6700k? It's a Silicon lottery binned chip

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
Whatever SL is charging for a 4.8 bin delidded, minus the delid cost. shipped.

I haven't even opened the box.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Looks like they learned from their previous endeavors and did liquid cooling in their reference specs. I'd be interested to see how this card benches.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Whatever SL is charging for a 4.8 bin delidded, minus the delid cost. shipped.

I haven't even opened the box.

I'd be interested.. but saving up for a couple of 1080's (+ i don't have an 1151 board at the moment) :shame:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
asrock z170 oc formula

That is a good looking board. I also like the look and features of the ASUS Maximus VIII Formula - might upgrade to one in the future although TBH my current board does all that I require of it.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
If you want to overclock a skylake that's the one you want

Pushes 4.5 easily and stable on every 6700k I've tested

3 ultra (NVMe) m.2 is the icing on the cake

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
If you want to overclock a skylake that's the one you want

Pushes 4.5 easily and stable on every 6700k I've tested

3 ultra (NVMe) m.2 is the icing on the cake
I'm running an Asus Z170 deluxe with a 6700k, stable at 4.6

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'm running an Asus Z170 deluxe with a 6700k, stable at 4.6

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk

I have a similar setup (Asus Z170M-PLUS, i7 6700k, Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 cooler) - I haven't yet tried to overclock it, so given that you are using a similar board can you advise as to the settings you are using?

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I'd be interested.. but saving up for a couple of 1080's (+ i don't have an 1151 board at the moment) :shame:

The 1080 has now been released - anybody pulled the trigger on one?
Quick question concerning the Founders Edition cards - since this is the reference model specs will obviously be the same regardless of manufacturer, but is there any particular manufacturer you would recommend (e.g. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte etc.) when buying the card?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
The 1080 has now been released - anybody pulled the trigger on one?
Quick question concerning the Founders Edition cards - since this is the reference model specs will obviously be the same regardless of manufacturer, but is there any particular manufacturer you would recommend (e.g. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte etc.) when buying the card?

I have an MSI GTX 760 from September 2013, and I've liked it a lot. It uses military grade components. I don't know if all of MSI's cards use military grade components, though.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
If you are just going to get a "stock" 1080, then it probably won't matter which manufacturer you go with. As far as better cooling goes... usually Gigabyte will release their "WindForce"(3 fan design) models. EVGA will most likely be #1 with a quality heatsink and will probably release a water cooling adapter meant specifically for their card. Personally, I'm going to go with EVGA.