High End PC Video Cards aka anyone else have a Titan?

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
For the longest time, I've always wanted "the best" video card available. I think the most I ever spent on a video card before was an Obsidian Voodoo2 SLI card back in 98/99 that I got for $600.

Finally I thought "what the hell... why not". I currently have an eVGA nVidia GTX Titan X 12GB Super Clocked card. It's not the best/most expensive, but it does rank up there.

Anyway... compared to the GTX 770 I had before, I haven't really noticed a significant difference(as far as 1080p gaming goes). However... If I try playing games at 2160p, then there's a huge difference. Even at 4K, it can handle any game w/ settings set up to high no problem. Although with newer games, the fan seems to kick in really loud.

I tried touching the card for the hell of it and it was extremely hot. Luckily I have an open frame(In Win D-Frame) case. Regardless, seems like I should be investing in a water cooling solution for this card.

Anyone else using a Titan(or Titans)?

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
I am curious to see how this goes. I have a gtx 770 right now, and since I got a laptop hookup i figured id just toss a new card in my desktop. Something that can cook with gas at 1080p. How high can you crank the details on your titan?

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have had a Titan X since launch and yeah its complete overkill for 1080p. The monitor I run with it is 2560x1600 and it seems to handle that resolution fine. The newest title I have tried with it is Battlefront and it runs that game on the highest settings with no difficulty. You could water cool it if you want to o.c or if the fans noise really bothers you. I personally haven't had any problems with my card overheating. If any one is thinking of buying an Nvidia card, now isn't the time since a new card is just on the horizon. I Personally wish I just waited for the 980 ti since it delivers similar performance and is way cheaper. Ill be waiting this time around when the next titan launches.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I am curious to see how this goes. I have a gtx 770 right now, and since I got a laptop hookup i figured id just toss a new card in my desktop. Something that can cook with gas at 1080p. How high can you crank the details on your titan?

Currently playing 'Dying Light: The Following'. it's running at 4096x2160 w/ everything set to high/max. The card is handling it just fine. I've noticed though that if I leave "depth of field" & "hbao+" turned on, the fan on the card regularly kicks in to full speed. If I turn those 2 options off, then the fan is normal.

For the hell of it though, I switched down to 1920x1080 w/ everything set to high/on & both "depth of field / hbao+ " on.. the fan is also normal.

I'm going to buy this for the card: HYBRID Water Cooler (All in One) for GTX TITAN X

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm using a couple of GTX 690s right now, and could only see myself upgrading when the 990ti FINALLY decides to release. 24 GB RAM, over 7k Cuda Cores...off to the races :)

lions3

Igniz's Servent
picked up a GTX 970 last fall. Not a Titan, but it does share the same frame :)

Currently running it at 1080p on a smaller monitor, but might switch it over to my old Apple 30" Cinema HD display @ 2560x1600 for Dark Souls III next week.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Just a lowly 650ti for me. Still gets the job done.

Probably a new build on the horizon, though.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I'm using a couple of GTX 690s right now, and could only see myself upgrading when the 990ti FINALLY decides to release. 24 GB RAM, over 7k Cuda Cores...off to the races :)

I was using dual 590's for awhile. Even though they were old, they still worked great(just couldn't do 4k). If you're using dual 690's then I'd also agree on waiting for the 990ti

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just a lowly 650ti for me. Still gets the job done.

Probably a new build on the horizon, though.

My Lenovo Y500 has dual SLI 650M's. I admit I haven't played the newest games, but I've thrown some pretty demanding ones at it set to highest settings and it has never, ever chugged.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Never really had the highest end but usually have the tier below.
Though currently i don't own a gaming pc so i'm stuck using my laptop but when i get back to it i do plan on getting either the high end amd card of the nvidia equivalent.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
High-end GPUs are a sucker's market. The people building the games in the first place don't have these cards.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've got a GTX 780ti which is keeping me entertained. I only have a 1080p monitor, cant justify the expense for higher res monitor and then a card good enough for 2k/4k. No need to upgrade really, not until this card is absolutely terrible.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
GTX 970 at 1080p.

It handles anything I run in with it.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Using a 970 overclocked to 980 spec, Titan is a waste just buy a 980 and overclock it to get the same general output.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I am running with a 6GB GTX970 in my laptop.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I have a 980 and a 780ti in two different computers. I was lucky to get the 980 for less than half the cost, since I work in a computer shop and someone came in selling it who needed money fast.

From my experience the 980 is marginally better than the 780ti. I honestly can't see a real difference when I use them, even at 3440x1440.

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
No AMD love?
I'm running two R9 290s in crossfire. It's been great for the most part, though I don't think I'd go dual card again. Lack of timely support for new titles as well as heat and noise kind of take the shine off.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I have a 390x. I wasn't going to go SLI because I know they don't support anything for the most part. I also agree about the drivers. That being said, it runs everything I throw at it on high at 60fps.

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I've been on a 660ti for a few years now. Just waiting for the next nvidia chipset now.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I figured there would be lots of replies from members with "other" cards.

Does anyone else(other then Day_Man) have a Titan? Was it what you expected(or hoped for more)? Using stock cooling or not? SLI? and will you be purchasing the next big nVidia "Pascal" card? (or if AMD comes out with a high end card, are you going to give that a chance?)

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
picked up a GTX 970 last fall. Not a Titan, but it does share the same frame :)

Currently running it at 1080p on a smaller monitor, but might switch it over to my old Apple 30" Cinema HD display @ 2560x1600 for Dark Souls III next week.

Hey bud, That evga gtx 760 sc 2gb you sold me has been doing me a lot of good...although all im playing on it right now is Max Payne 2 lol

So far everything i've tried to play from previous gen has run with no issues. It should be fine for me for a while since i'm not really trying to do anything crazy with it. Plus as soon as it starts to struggle im thinking i'll probably just get a second one and go the SLI route.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
They're not price competitive with Nvidia at most tiers and their drivers (on all platforms, but especially Linux) are way behind.

I haven't been following up closely for a while now but I could have sworn the 390x was very competitive with the 980Ti in both performance and price wise. Aside from Titan, AMD has been very competitive with their gpu division for many years now.