High End PC Video Cards aka anyone else have a Titan?

supersega

Mr. Big's Thug
The 1080 has now been released - anybody pulled the trigger on one?
Quick question concerning the Founders Edition cards - since this is the reference model specs will obviously be the same regardless of manufacturer, but is there any particular manufacturer you would recommend (e.g. Asus, EVGA, Gigabyte etc.) when buying the card?

Founders edition sucks. If I were you, I'd wait for the K|NGP|N model if you're concerned about quality. Either that one or Gigabyte. Those Windforce 3X coolers are beastly.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Founders edition sucks. If I were you, I'd wait for the K|NGP|N model if you're concerned about quality. Either that one or Gigabyte. Those Windforce 3X coolers are beastly.

TBH I will probably be getting the 1070 Founders edition. For the price difference vs the 1080 I can just about get a AOC 24" 144hz G-sync monitor, and for FHD the 1070 should be plenty. I quite like the look of the reference cards vs the various aftermarket cooling equipped cards, and as mentioned I can't really see myself going above 1920x1080 in the near future, so not really looking for any extreme overclocking potential.
I also heard good things about EVGA so will probably have a look in that direction when the 1070 is released in c.a. 2 weeks. One thing I hope that is resolved is the coil whine that was present on a lot of the GTX 970 cards of various manufactures.

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Time to bump this thread since both the GTX 1070 and 1080 have now been released. Has anybody actually got either of these cards?
I was set on getting a 1070 reference at launch but local availability was pretty crappy. In the meantime a friend picked up a reference 1080 and while its an awesome card I found it more noisy than I expected. So now waiting for the aftermarket 1070 cards to be more readily available (the STRIX variant, with its semi passive cooling looks promising). Also the RX480 cards are set to launch next week, so maybe that will drive prices down a little. Getting a bit fed up with this waiting game but I guess its the sensible thing to do at the moment.

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I got a Evga 1080 ftw. I was coming from a 670sli setup I had for like 4 years, so it was a substantial upgrade. Right now I am mainly playing Doom and Overwatch and chews through those games maxed easily. I am down sampling Overwatch for better IQ, haven't done it with Doom yet. Runs super cool and quiet and uses probably half the power of my old Sli setup.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
the evga Kingpin cards are boss, but they are really geared for pouring-liquid-nitrogen-on-your-GPU enthusiasts..

you would get the same overclocking results from the classified version, also boss and have dual-bios (via dip-switch) AND the ACX fans

the 1080's are way overpriced right now, pick up a 980ti for less than $400.. driver/application support everywhere & plenty custom bios' out there

too early for 1080 imo

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I got me a 1070, I like it so far, my 970 died and I decided to wait a few months and upgrade substantially if I have to drop some money anyway. I haven't had any problems, I don't have a 4k display to report on that but VR seems great. Outside of VR the only game I've played is doom, it fucking rocks and I max it out (at 1080p)

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'll get a 1070 sometime next year. When Evga releases a model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
the evga Kingpin cards are boss, but they are really geared for pouring-liquid-nitrogen-on-your-GPU enthusiasts..

you would get the same overclocking results from the classified version, also boss and have dual-bios (via dip-switch) AND the ACX fans

the 1080's are way overpriced right now, pick up a 980ti for less than $400.. driver/application support everywhere & plenty custom bios' out there

too early for 1080 imo

The FTW is also dual bios with the larger fans as well this year. If nvidias past history is any indicator the 10x0 will only get faster with driver updates and the older cards will maintain where they are now. I would rather go 1070 than 980ti for 400.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
the EVGA hybrid cooler fits the ref cards nicely btw

$60 on amazon