Hasbro brings back retro Tiger LCD handheld games

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
Tiger’s retro LCD handheld games are making a comeback
Starting with Sonic, X-Men, Transformers, and The Little Mermaid

Fg26fJv.jpg

As with the originals, each device will play a single game. The launch titles include The Little Mermaid, Transformers: Generation 2, X-Men Project X, and Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (all are available to preorder at Gamestop now). Hasbro says that each game is “inspired” by the original version from the 1990s. They all sport a familiar control setup, with monochromatic graphics displayed on top of a static, colorful backdrop. Each unit is powered by two AA batteries (which, of course, are not included). “The design and technology were created with the original handheld game unit in mind,” the company says.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/19/...t=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
O dear Jesus...does this usher in the decline of the retro fad? When trash like thisnis released, it must be.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
i can't wait for the Game.com CLASSIC

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
These things were no good then and are no good now.

Hipster cash-in.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
These things were no good then and are no good now.

Hipster cash-in.

yeah, i never enjoyed a single Tiger handheld. There were a few Radio Shack brand ones I remembered digging in the 80's...the super simple "tank" or "racing" type games worked best with LCDs like this. The Tiger games were all garbage.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Hipster cash-in.

well there is the fact that some people cant afford a phone for their 8 year old?
but yeah kid will still be bummed.

what a waste, all those batteries...wonder how much more an old ds or what was it before them colors, would cost?

stupid hipsters all consumerish and non Hippy.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
well there is the fact that some people cant afford a phone for their 8 year old?
but yeah kid will still be bummed.

what a waste, all those batteries...wonder how much more an old ds or what was it before them colors, would cost?

stupid hipsters all consumerish and non Hippy.

I can just imagine some 20 something hipster playing one of these things during a "Geeks who Drink" event.

Bleh.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
These were only good if your mom wouldn’t get you a Gameboy. Period.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What we really need is Game & Watch re-releases, full size models and all that, same internal parts. G&W was and is a million times better than Tiger LCD.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Who on earth would want to recreate the sheer misery of squinting at one of these pieces of shit in the back of the car getting travel sick on the way to grandmas weird smelling house.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I can just imagine some 20 something hipster playing one of these things during a "Geeks who Drink" event.

Bleh.

Dear God, too accurate. Now I am mad at this imaginary person.

Who on earth would want to recreate the sheer misery of squinting at one of these pieces of shit in the back of the car getting travel sick on the way to grandmas weird smelling house.

Also, extremely accurate, but in a kind of weird, good way. Like I'm excited to get some coffee flavored hard candy all of a sudden. Lol

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What we really need is Game & Watch re-releases, full size models and all that, same internal parts. G&W was and is a million times better than Tiger LCD.

I'd go for this. The G&W collections on DS were pretty fun. I had a lot of Tiger handhelds back in the day but I don't really want to ever play Tiger Megaman 3 again.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
N•Gage 5G.

You heard it here first!

Honestly that thing was ahead of its time. The downside is as having to literally disassemble the entire rear to change carts. And the revised one came too late

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
The Sony Xperia Play was the best phone I ever had, I waited long past time to renew my phone hoping for the Play 2, which never came.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
grandma's get to disappoint their grandchildren all over again...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
And for the longest time, I didn’t have a Gameboy. I liked a lot of these games, and I have no shame.
This. They did the job before the Gameboy filled that gap. I distinctly remember a Batman game taking a lot of my time in the back of the car.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Tiger had a couple bangers with Simon's Quest and Mega Man 2 imo. Those were fun games. I also used to really like the Simpsons cupcake tossing lcd game as well as some.of the Konami made ones.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
These things would just accumulate when I was a kid. Nobody ever asked for them or got them on purpose, but there was always one in the car or in the toybox or in the closet or under the bed.