Has Ghost Lop been dumped?

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu

Would the release of the rom be illegal? Yes, I'm not arguing about that. Does it really matter in a practical way? I don't think so. Think about this.
There are three possible practical consequences for the its owner IMHO:

Will bumping this proto affect Playmore economically? I doubt so.

Will I bump this proto seeing how serious is getting Playmore about defending its rights? Again I doubt so.

If I would know that nothing will happen to me in case I would bump it, even though its illegal, then would I bump it? (moral question that everyone must answer to himself).

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Will dumping this proto affect Playmore economically?
Most likely, no.

Will I dump this proto seeing how serious is getting Playmore about defending its rights?
Yes, as I strongly doubt they would even bother about this one, and even if they do I doubt this would make any harm to the actual dumper. Come on, there's people out there that dump the brand new releases for much more obscure, profitable reasons and as far as I know, unfortunately none of them is in jail.

If I would know that nothing will happen to me in case I would dump it, even though its illegal, then would I dump it?
Yes, yes, and yes, by this order. I would do that 100 times in a row if necessay, and I would do the same with all the proto games (no matter the system) I managed to find.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fist Of Legend:
Amano Jacu:
How can you be so sure? It looks like you have more info than you say, or just like to pretend to have it... spock . In either case I don't give a fuck smirk .
How do u think i've got this pics ? i'm not some sort of david copperfield guy who made pics to appear by magic so maybe i know him directly ! Who knows ? wink

ps : for Amano Jacu, i'm just saying that the game is preserved for long time and maybe someday it'll surface ! There's no more to say about it !
Let me translate this for you all:

"Hello, my name is Fist of Legend, I have the rom of Ghostlop that I got from god knows whom. I promised the guy I got it from not to publish it right now, but since we all know what promises like this are really worth, you can expect to find it on one of those obscure warez/romz distribution sites in a couple of weeks/months".

Am I right or am I right? wink

Fist Of Legend

Kula's Candy
u're all wrong dude ! lol :D

1) i don't have the rom nor the proto !
2) it'll not be published by the one i got the pics and other goodies from, so if there's a release someday it'll be by another ghostlop owner !

aria

Former Moderator
Billy,

Like Nick, I'm not trying to be a dick or attack you, but Nruva is stating the honest-to-goodness truth. What seems logical in reality often goes completely against the logic of law.

But here's my opinion, expanding on Nruva's:
- the Copyright owner of that proto has the discretion to sue to get it back. Would it? Almost 100% no -not worth it. The only thing they would probably sue for is if a SNK v. Capcom proto somehow got on the market.
- Unfortunately, in law, just because you bought it legally from an operator doesn't protect your possession of the actual game if anyone in the chain of possession got it illegally and it can be proven. Here's how such a nightmare situation would work:
-- the copyright holder of the game proves that the game was never officially released for sale and thus there was no intention for it to be let out of the possession of the original cart owner. This would create a "per se" ("on-its-face") situation where, regardless of whether the current possessor/owner got it legally or not, the cart itself is wrongfully possessed.
-- A court would have little choice but to award such an obvious per se item back to its original owner. However, the person who it's taken away from would not be without legal remedy: that person can sue the person he bought the game from for the cash, and the seller can sue the person who sold it to him, and so on until either it reaches the person who got it illegally or the statute of limitations bars any recovery (that depends on how the statute works in that state, sometimes it doesn't start running until a person actually knows about the possible legal action).

So, in the unlikely event that a proto title-holder (based off copyright) goes after you, you may have an open chance to get reimbursed from the person who sold it to you -depending on certain legal situations. Would that happen? Doubtful. As I said, I am certain that for every proto that's out and about, there is probably another copy being held in a storage room at the legal copyright holder's facility.

I personally don't think you have anything to worry about. The only reason Dion was nailed was because SNK/Playmore wanted to nail him on every count that was available at law (he wreaked their wrath for totally different reasons). Just be careful with relatively recent releases.

Hope that makes sense without seeming "damning", because that's hardly what I'm trying to do -I just want to clarify the way the law tends to work in this area.

<small>[ July 14, 2003, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: Bobak ]</small>

aria

Former Moderator
Amano Jacu:
Will dumping this proto affect Playmore economically?
Most likely, no.

Will I dump this proto seeing how serious is getting Playmore about defending its rights?
Yes, as I strongly doubt they would even bother about this one, and even if they do I doubt this would make any harm to the actual dumper. Come on, there's people out there that dump the brand new releases for much more obscure, profitable reasons and as far as I know, unfortunately none of them is in jail.

If I would know that nothing will happen to me in case I would dump it, even though its illegal, then would I dump it?
Yes, yes, and yes, by this order. I would do that 100 times in a row if necessay, and I would do the same with all the proto games (no matter the system) I managed to find.
Sadly, this states the probable reality of the situation.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Takumaji "Hello, my name is Fist of Legend, I have the rom of Ghostlop that I got from god knows whom. I promised the guy I got it from not to publish it right now, but since we all know what promises like this are really worth, you can expect to find it on one of those obscure warez/romz distribution sites in a couple of weeks/months".

Am I right or am I right? wink
actually, i'm pretty sure, that they're already about to make a bunch of converted bootleg homecarts. most likely with jp inserts, stickers and maybe even manuals. guess ... at least $500.

Zerogoki

n00b
supergoose79actually, i'm pretty sure, that they're already about to make a bunch of converted bootleg homecarts. most likely with jp inserts, stickers and maybe even manuals. guess ... at least $500. [/QB]
"they" maybe not but one member of this forum certainly. oh_no

waku7

Dodgeball Yakuza
I think we must create a new section here, the Law.

When i see guys that claim that billy pitt proto is illegal, i think it is very funny indeed.
Etablish theories for nothing...
Most of neo geo games are dumped now,even the new ones.
I thing playmore has better to do with dumps from New games than 94's protos.
And i hate the fact that they can release in 2003 a 94/95 game,like it was for zupapa(we see the result)

Now it is like Tom Clancy's books.
Has the cart been stolen by a guy at data east industry, the 22th of october 1997?

Or is it a test game??

Oh!

Yah!

Couch!

Arg!

Stop this drama.

Billy pit bought a proto from a coin operator, nothing more...
Now it is a Big Deal because of all the neo geo business and things like that, totally shit.

On the shinning force 3 we see everytime for sale ,the special disc one.
What is written on it???
"NOT FOR SALE"
It is for sale in more than 20000000000000 shops around the world...

If it was a little kaneco pcb,it would be an another wtory.

Pep

Genjuro's Frog
20 Year Member
Bobak, yes you are right. I did not want to write that much. It’s simply a case of hidden defect purchase. That is to say, you buy under good faith ,however the seller knows that the transacted good has a hidden defect, which in the case at hand is that its real owner is a third party.

So, the true owner could summon you to give him back the conflictive good, and also sue the false seller. At the same time you can sue the false seller to recover your money.

Anyhow and in the end, the actual owner of the conflictive good/proto is its legal owner unless otherwise it is proved, and nothing can be claimed from the copyright owner but what has been explained.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
supergoose79:
actually, i'm pretty sure, that they're already about to make a bunch of converted bootleg homecarts. most likely with jp inserts, stickers and maybe even manuals. guess ... at least $500.
Well, I doubt they are going to do that, but if they do, then expect playmore to get mad and start taking legal action.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
hey, it was just a guess. annoyed
it seems to be dumped. so ... maybe there will be a 'release' - maybe not. we'll see.