Has anyone actually played the Hokuto No Ken / Fist of the North Star AW game?

ajk1080

Ukyo's Doctor
Rated G said:
Judging from the videos I've seen, this games graphics look great! I'm tired of everyone bitching about animation, # of frames, etc.. Do you understand how hard it is to actually animate a character? It's not easy and not cheap, especially for a game character that you actually control via joystick/buttons. As of present, there are no game companies out there that are willing to spend the time/money it takes to create a 2D game with high # of animation frames that looks anywhere close to 3rd Strike. For me its all about how big and cool your characters look, and judging from what I've seen of this Fist game, it looks really cool.

Yeah that company is called SNK. MotW, I believe, had better animation than GG. Animation is a very important thing. Low frames is just lazyness. I think KoFXI has more animation than FotNS, look at Shion and Oswald. I'll take a shit in a shiny box and give it to ya and it doesn't make my shit smell any better, or become a better shit. Im afraid HiRes sprites are a sort of slight-of-hand trick that Arc has fallen into, "Look at my pretty sprites in those screen shots, and pay no attention to what they look like in motion in that video".

honeyman

Morden's Lackey
I played this yesterday at the ATEI at Earl's Court (my first ever visit!) Anway, it certainly pangs of Guilty Gear with the combos, systems and such.

You have supers which are Level 1s and Level 2s respectively, as well as a finisher move (kind of like GGXX's Instant Kill) but can only use it when you have enough super bar and you've reduced the stars of your opponent to 1 (the blue blocks underneath each player's health bar.)

I played as Kenshiro, Shin, Rei, Raoh, Toki and Jagi. They're certainly interesting characters and in my personal experience Shin was the best of the bunch (my 22 win streak will testify to that.) As said before, Arc Systems have caught the personalities of the characters very well and I'm sure the game'll be a treat for FotNS fans everywhere.

That's all for now. If anyone has anymore questions I'll do my best to answer them for you.

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
honeyman said:
I played this yesterday at the ATEI at Earl's Court (my first ever visit!) Anway, it certainly pangs of Guilty Gear with the combos, systems and such.

You have supers which are Level 1s and Level 2s respectively, as well as a finisher move (kind of like GGXX's Instant Kill) but can only use it when you have enough super bar and you've reduced the stars of your opponent to 1 (the blue blocks underneath each player's health bar.)

I played as Kenshiro, Shin, Rei, Raoh, Toki and Jagi. They're certainly interesting characters and in my personal experience Shin was the best of the bunch (my 22 win streak will testify to that.) As said before, Arc Systems have caught the personalities of the characters very well and I'm sure the game'll be a treat for FotNS fans everywhere.

That's all for now. If anyone has anymore questions I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Lol I played against you yesterday. I was the guy with the black hat. RGP was with me too, he was the big dude with the glasses. I thought you were Avid Merrion at first. You looked kinda bored around the 16 win stage. Infact you can even be seen in this pic. (link the pic here Pete)

Last edited:

RGP

Tesse's Maintainence Man
fist.jpg

This pic? my evil camera gets everywhere :kekeke:

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
For those who have played, does Fatal KO seem really unbalanced? I've seen videos of 2nd and 3rd round sweeps where the last round ends 5-10 seconds using this thing. If there's a line of people waiting to play, then this is a probably a good way to keep the line moving, but it seems like it could be really abusive.

Also, any thoughts on character balance? Heart seems to be crap. Mamiya doesn't seem too bad, but I've seen very little of her in action. Toki seems extremely strong, as does Raoh; Souther seems pretty boring in action.

Also, does anyone know if Yuda's "blow up the dam" DM is in any way unblockable, or does it just hit high and low multiple times?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
EX_Andy said:
For those who have played, does Fatal KO seem really unbalanced? I've seen videos of 2nd and 3rd round sweeps where the last round ends 5-10 seconds using this thing. If there's a line of people waiting to play, then this is a probably a good way to keep the line moving, but it seems like it could be really abusive.

Not sure, but since you have to earn the Fatal KO, and from my experience playing the game, it doesn't really seem very abusive. You can generally see the Fatal KO coming, and I find them pretty easy to get around or dodge.

Also, any thoughts on character balance? Heart seems to be crap. Mamiya doesn't seem too bad, but I've seen very little of her in action. Toki seems extremely strong, as does Raoh; Souther seems pretty boring in action.

Where I am, all the best players seem to favor using Souther; I get my ass handed to me quite often by him. :) I hear Toki is at the top, and I've also seen some pretty effective Mamiya players. I use Shin myself; never see anyone picking Raoh, Heart, or even Kenshiro, who doesn't seem as effective to me as some of the other characters.

BTW the boss is Ken-oh. I have only read the Fist manga that was translated into English, and I don't remember this character...he looks just like Raoh...

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Lyte Edge said:
Not sure, but since you have to earn the Fatal KO, and from my experience playing the game, it doesn't really seem very abusive. You can generally see the Fatal KO coming, and I find them pretty easy to get around or dodge.

Where I am, all the best players seem to favor using Souther; I get my ass handed to me quite often by him. :) I hear Toki is at the top, and I've also seen some pretty effective Mamiya players. I use Shin myself; never see anyone picking Raoh, Heart, or even Kenshiro, who doesn't seem as effective to me as some of the other characters.

Thanks...it's just that I've seen videos where the last round ends in only a couple seconds because of Fatal KO, but maybe it's just a way to weed out scrubs.

From what I've seen in the videos, Kenshiro does seem pretty bad. Too slow. Toki seems very strong (and very, very fast) but also really boring. He seems to have one really good air juggle chain that's repeatable a couple times, almost like an infinite.

Is Souther's main strategy just spamming his cross-beam thing (air and ground) and pounding on you while you're blocking?

Lyte Edge said:
BTW the boss is Ken-oh. I have only read the Fist manga that was translated into English, and I don't remember this character...he looks just like Raoh...

Ken-Ou ("Fist King") is Raoh. It's the title he took for himself when he set out to conquer the world.