Guwange coming to XBLA

Princess-Isabel

Geese's Thug
I cannot believe someone would even contemplate getting this fantastic shooter at some point over getting it right away, it's $10.
How well it sells determines if we ever get more of the Cave goodness over here.
It has tons of options for customization but tate mode would be obviously the best if your setup allows for it.
Had a lot of fun with it, awesome game and welcome addition to ever growing 360 arcade library.

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Unfortunately "fun" doesn't sound like patch... Even though full screen would make the game MUCH more fun, be praying. You're probably right about gamerpic/themes being what's on the horizon. Bleh!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I don't have a twitter. Any updates?

Fett

Camel Slug
I'm not understanding what you guys want patched for 3:4 televisions.
If you press A while in the screen settings screen theres more settings menus where you can resize the screen to any size/scale/rotation you can imagine.

guwange11.jpg

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I'm sorry to say that this is how it is here, bunch of people get something good and all they can do is find something to complaint about. The game is great the way it is but some people want to play it on a 4:3 ratio and apparently the game doesn't have a full screen setup for that ratio. Well then, go get the pcb or play it on mame I say and be done with it.

This game doesn't need a patch, it's fine the way it is.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
I'm sorry to say that this is how it is here, bunch of people get something good and all they can do is find something to complaint about. The game is great the way it is but some people want to play it on a 4:3 ratio and apparently the game doesn't have a full screen setup for that ratio. Well then, go get the pcb or play it on mame I say and be done with it.

This game doesn't need a patch, it's fine the way it is.

C'mon. It's not really bitching when you've got a port of a game that has a native resolution of 240p and there isn't even an option to adjust the screen to 3:4 so you can play it how it's supposed to look.

I don't fall into the crowd of people who can't play it properly because the monitor I play verts on thankfully has a zoom feature and I can fill my screen with some slight tweaks. But I can fully understand why people are trying to make their voice heard by Cave on this issue.

We're all just supposed to be thankful it even got released and not say anything to them so they can think everything with this is great and they can continue to release ports without a simple screen sizing feature? Great plan. This stuff is not hard. It's a standard feature on any STG port. If this doesn't get fixed, at least we can hope that the forthcoming Dangun port will have proper screen sizing options because fans let Cave know what they want.

@Fett, The problem is that it forces widescreen on a 4:3 display. Due to this, you end up playing in a small window in the center of your screen unless you have some sort of a zoom option.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I'm not understanding what you guys want patched for 3:4 televisions.
If you press A while in the screen settings screen theres more settings menus where you can resize the screen to any size/scale/rotation you can imagine.

guwange11.jpg
The screen options that are grayed out are what need to be patched.

We had great ports in mushi futari, 'ludaII, ketsui...then steps backward w/ DSII & GUWANGE.

There is NO full screen mode for GUWANGE, Tate or no, 4:3or 16:9. *that* is my issue. At best to have 2 borders, along with the bass-ackwards friend leaderboards is just sloppy.

After years of trying to hype CAVE games to my casual gamer friends, the 1st offering I'm able to point them to (without being embarrassed by loli-ness) ends up being pretty bobo & unpolished.

Not a strong xbla 1st effort is all many of us are saying....and totally fixable.

To suggest that we should just lump it, or MAME it/PCB it is assinine.

More prudent I think that we suggest CAVE come correct if they want anymore of our money.

Again, I'm frustrated that something well within their reach was BOTCHED. Anyone who has played the 'futari port has every reason to expect great display options...why should we settle?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It ain't asinine, it's simply a solution. If you truly love the game that much and want to play it proper then why is it so asinine to fine alternative routes? I can see where you guys are coming from, but maybe you should try and enjoy the game for what it is, do take your complaints to cave but you're making it a bigger deal than what it is and given all the cry posts I can't help but express my opinion about it.

Also if you have actually bother with the game settings you'll see that if you zoomed with anything that's not a decimal point, the screen suffers from scrolling issues, try it out and see for yourself, you either want to stay on 2.00 or 3.00 to have an uniform number of pixel scrolling down your screen without tearing.

So what's gonna happen when you get that patch and you find that when you finally make your tweaks you're gonna see that tearing on the screen, what then? It happens to all cave ports to this day, even the ones that fully support 4:3, once you get it to size on a 4:3 screen the scrolling becomes very annoying.

How about previous ports before the 360, a lot of them have some issues with TV ratios, some have ablurry filter that allowes you to see the whole screen but then some have a anti-alias that looks sharp as hell but it chops scores at the top and so on. It is obvious that TV ratios have always been an issue with ports of this nature, so really this isn't anything new.

I'm sure that if it was that easy something would have been done about it from the get go.

Edit: Oh yeah, as far as casual gamer enjoying the game. I'm pretty sure most casual gamers are not playing on tated CRTs, so that basis is out the window.

subcons

I'm running at 2.9 something zoom (I want to say 2.94?) and notice no scrolling/tearing/etc. issues, at least on my monitor. I'm running a 20" 4:3 LCD by the way...

All the other Cave ports I own, and I own just about all of them, have exhaustive options when it comes to adjusting the screen. Some more than others, but they all have basic functionality that is simply missing from this port. That's what really makes the fact that this is missing seem so ridiculous.

As for casual gamers, I wouldn't think that's Cave's primary audience. I'm all for more people getting turned on to their games, but Cave pretty much runs off of its core audience that is actually aware they exist. These games get released with us in mind for the most part as we gobble up anything they put out, so it's not so far fetched to try and keep us pleased if they want us buying their future releases.

Fett

Camel Slug
For $10 there really isn't much you can complain about. And for anyone that uses a computer/tv daily you owe it to yourself to finally buy a modern 16:9 LCD/LED.

My problem for the last several years has been that I no longer have a 4:3 CRT to play fullscreen only roms on.... I think the last one in my home is in my MVS cab.

subcons

For $10 there really isn't much you can complain about. And for anyone that uses a computer/tv daily you owe it to yourself to finally buy a modern 16:9 LCD/LED.

My problem for the last several years has been that I no longer have a 4:3 CRT to play fullscreen only roms on.... I think the last one in my home is in my MVS cab.

You assume people that play these games and are complaining about this don't own modern sets. I own a large LCD set that I do most of my gaming and television watching on. I have a specific setup to play TATE oriented games on. I think this is the case with a lot of fans of the genre. Some of them are even playing on cabs with monitors. That's how these games were designed.

Again, this is such a simple thing. That's why people are complaining about it. It just doesn't really make any sense at all why the feature is absent from the release. It doesn't add up.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I only mentioned casual gamers 'cause of this:
After years of trying to hype CAVE games to my casual gamer friends, the 1st offering I'm able to point them to (without being embarrassed by loli-ness) ends up being pretty bobo & unpolished.

As far as previous ports go, they all suffer from tearing no matter how teaky you get with it, that's just the nature of something designed 240x320 jumping into other venues, there's nothing you can do about it at less you redraw everything from scratch like the disc releases 360 mode. If you notice, when you play the arcade version any sort of alteration will end on scroll tearing.

If Gwange was relased on a disc like this, I would agree with you guys, but as it is this is a low budget release compared to the previous efforts, and if we only have to look up from this release then I say they're on the right track. Maybe on the future they'll figure it out to a tee, but for now I think this release was great if not surprising.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
EG, I don't think we understand eachother. I have the ways to play this game in its proper aspect ratio. I'm pissed that the xbl port is botched. I can't online co-op with you in a cab 8^D.

Also, the casual gamers that I mentioned don't Tate, of course. Many of them *do* have 4:3 sets, which due to the forced 16:9 of xbl GUWANGE gives a crummy playfield by default (which is right where it will most likely stay, as the menus are convoluted). They also expect friend leaderboards that don't run in reverse, and other rudiments which this port lacks.

As far as folks saying 'what do you expect for 10 bucks?'... I expect a better effort than this.

The biggest costs associated with full retail releases are: shipping and handling and marketing. This GUWANGE port wasn't semi-trucked from a factory to an airport, then flown to multiple hubs, then ground shipped to retailers. No case, manual, or disc manufacturing costs. No ads in zines, or even front page on xbl dash.

When I payed 122usd shipped for 'futari from ncsx, it damn sure wasn't for robust screen options; it was for the above.

CAVE had to go out of their way to not support the native aspect ratio. This port is botched for a good number of users...this deserves a patch.

The exact words of a friend whom I have raved about cave to for years, was, "man, this seems kind of half-assed."

I love cave and want them to expand their fanbase and flourish in the rest of the world outside japan. *that* is why I'm being such a harsh critic.

EG, I got the impression from your earlier post that your take is, 'for 10 bucks- what evs, who cares?' if that is the case, we have a difference of opinion.

If I got you wrong, please correct me-I'm not trying to flame here.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Maybe I am but not intentionaly, solely 'cause I have played this game for years like most of you and never expected it to be released on anything other than PCB or the MAME route.

I like the fact that we have an actual score table and that the scores are no longer in kanji but that's about all I wanted it out of this release anyway. Personally I play it on a tated LCD and a tated CRT Wega with zooming options so it works fine both ways for me, so maybe I'm a bit indifferent to the situation you guys are in, however I remember being like you guys years ago, it's just so unnerving and it doesn't let you enjoy the games (ports) for what they are, at lest I know I wasn't enjoying them until I decided to let go and just play the games.

ON another note, this was the very reason that drove me to get involved in PCB trading, no regrets on that, but at times is kind of a doble edge sword if you know what I mean. Hopefully this shortcomings are not preventing you guys from playing the game, at least it plays well and the added 360 mode is pretty fun for casual or veteran players alike.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Maybe I am but not intentionaly, solely 'cause I have played this game for years like most of you and never expected it to be released on anything other than PCB or the MAME route.

I like the fact that we have an actual score table and that the scores are no longer in kanji but that's about all I wanted it out of this release anyway. Personally I play it on a tated LCD and a tated CRT Wega with zooming options so it works fine both ways for me, so maybe I'm a bit indifferent to the situation you guys are in, however I remember being like you guys years ago, it's just so unnerving and it doesn't let you enjoy the games (ports) for what they are, at lest I know I wasn't enjoying them until I decided to let go and just play the games.

ON another note, this was the very reason that drove me to get involved in PCB trading, no regrets on that, but at times is kind of a doble edge sword if you know what I mean. Hopefully this shortcomings are not preventing you guys from playing t

he game, at least it plays well and the added 360 mode is pretty fun for casual or

veteran players alike.

*handshake*

Hope to see you on xbl soon. 360 mode is a score fest!

Jack Burton

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Also if you have actually bother with the game settings you'll see that if you zoomed with anything that's not a decimal point, the screen suffers from scrolling issues, try it out and see for yourself, you either want to stay on 2.00 or 3.00 to have an uniform number of pixel scrolling down your screen without tearing.

So what's gonna happen when you get that patch and you find that when you finally make your tweaks you're gonna see that tearing on the screen, what then? It happens to all cave ports to this day, even the ones that fully support 4:3, once you get it to size on a 4:3 screen the scrolling becomes very annoying.

If you put the zoom on 4 everything looks great (on a vertical crt), but the sides of the screen are missing. That's what you do for the other ports as well. Zoom=4.0. No tearing or whatever you want to call it. Once they (hopefully) get rid of the forced widescreen the whole playing field will be visible and just as clear as the other ports (minus Dodonpachi........until the patch gets approved).

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm
Those gray options are for Extra Screen settings like if you want a second window to display score, or chain, or life, etc. They are not for the overall game screen, and only really apply to those who are not playing on Tate. Hope that makes sense.

I also was trying to interest some friends who dabble with shmups, but without proper screen adjustments they are won't be considering this until it's fixed, which isn't likely to happen imho.

I'm enjoying it tons, but it runs a tad too small on my Tate 20".

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
Again, this is such a simple thing. That's why people are complaining about it. It just doesn't really make any sense at all why the feature is absent from the release. It doesn't add up.
This. 4.3 is such a simple, yet irritating thing to get wrong. I can agree on the fact that it's a $10 release. There just isn't much incentive to play it over an emulated form with the display botched.

What if they had excluded dpad (stick) support? Would we still be whiners?

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
This. 4.3 is such a simple, yet irritating thing to get wrong. I can agree on the fact that it's a $10 release. There just isn't much incentive to play it over an emulated form with the display botched.

What if they had excluded dpad (stick) support? Would we still be whiners?

I would have bought it if it didn't have stick support, but I would be mighty pissed.

Kyle

Kabuki Klasher
Is there some type of internal MS guideline that forces widescreen? I can't recall any recent XBLA game that's supported 4x3. It would suck if it was MS rather than Cave's doing.