Gun Lord - Another new game by NG:DEV Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I think Turrican is a pretty good game.

Some decent tunes, some OK graphics---sprites a bit dull looking and colorless. Gameplay is decent---though I never liked the damage system. Your health can drain in about 2 seconds flat. Always seemed like there should have been a recovery period afterwards. Control was always a bit lousy due to the lack of buttons on Amiga, C64 and the like.

I can't help but think though---would a clone of it sell/work on the Neo? Turrican might be big in Europe, but its barely a blip on most peoples radars here in the US---and honestly, I think its because its gameplay just doesn't hold up compared to the gameplay of its contemporaries. Just seems like a poor fit.

Then again, maybe it'll play nothing like Turrican and only look a little bit like it.
Sprites dull and colourless? Maybe on the first one, but the graphics on Turrican 2 & 3 are among the best on the Amiga.

Couldn't agree more about the damage system though. I've always thought it makes the game impossible. For some reason, the C64 versions are considerably easier than their Amiga counterparts.

If the Turrican series was never popular in America, I think that is very sad indeed. The music and graphics was simply incredible for its time.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
The Amiga and C64 weren't very popular in the US, at least compared to their popularity in europe. The other versions of Turrican (Mega Drive, TurboGrafx, Game Boy) are all garbage, only Super Turrican on the SNES and the NES are playable.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Sprites dull and colourless? Maybe on the first one, but the graphics on Turrican 2 & 3 are among the best on the Amiga.
not just on the amiga. super turrican for the snes is an awsome game with nice graphics and one of the best soundtracks in videogame history:

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire

I didn't want to write war and peace, but yeah, I was mostly thinking of Turrican 1.

Turrican 2 though, it seems like they used the brightest damn colors they could find for everything. (I think its the background color and ground color on level one that make me say that).

T3, the first one NOT on c64 pretty much fixed all that, though.

Really, I like Turrican, but my main concern is that they really aren't aware how little people care about Turrican over here, let alone in the east (I presume they hope people will buy from there too). I don't think basic Turrican gameplay can live up to many people's expectations for a Neo Geo game.

But...like I said, maybe they can do more with it----the should be able to with Neo Geo power behind them. At least a massive amount of Megs will allow them to get around the somewhat repetitive environments of Turrican games (that floppy disk media, you know?).

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Maybe its nothing like turrican at all and they're just trying to confuse us with that background on their page :D

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Sounds really tempting although I always almost died literally when playing Turrican on my good old Amiga. :D

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
The Amiga and C64 weren't very popular in the US, at least compared to their popularity in europe. The other versions of Turrican (Mega Drive, TurboGrafx, Game Boy) are all garbage, only Super Turrican on the SNES and the NES are playable.

Mega Turrican is hardly garbage although the first Megadrive version of Turrican is pretty bad. I agree that Super Turrican is excellent but the sequel wasn't very good and was barely even a Turrican game, nice graphics though.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I was talking about the turrican 1 versions on the various platforms. Mega Turrican is pretty awesome. In fact so awesome they ported it from the Mega Drive over to the Amiga as Turrican 3. ;)

Super Turrican 2 doesn't feel much like a turrican game, I agree.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
In a way, I appreciate that feeling because it lets me know I'm still normal and my perceptions of cost haven't been completely warped (for that I just needed to pay for a week in the Maldives).

. . . moreover the perceptions of opportunity costs to take the time for the trip rather than couch surf*.

*Now in 3D!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Looks promising. Even if they made twice the amount of carts I doubt that the prices would change.

DON 88T/A

n00b
Sounds interesting...there isn't really any games on the neo that has much exploring in them,save for a couple of titles,so this is a welcome change....obviously the price of the games is going to be an issue with some,which is understandable,but at the end of the day its still pretty cool that someone thinks enough of the neo to make games for it...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If Timm and Rene can give us just 1 teaser screenshot that would be cool.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Market laws are simple: if you make a small amount of copies of your product, you will have to sell at a higher price to reach your revenue goal.
If they make a big amount of copies, they COULD make at a lower price to reach more users... and the true power is in the middle class. If the great amount of Neo fans could grab a copy at a DECENT price, they would sell A LOT of copies (I would love to grab one).

I really don't understand why the NeoGeo scene is soooo elitist. It was in the past, but hey! we're in 2011! IMHO it is not ethic to sell a new game for this system 400% higher price than it was when the system was in the market.

Obviously they can do whatever they want with their work, but that is NOT democratic.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I hope for gun lord they take pre-orders to bring the cost down by producing more copies. I don't know how much their custom prog and char boards cost but I'm guessing cart assembly isn't cheap.

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
The production costs are really low if you make it in China. There are a huge industry there that makes production boards at RIDICULOUS prices. Simply put a PCB, add some cheap bga proms, and you can have a ready-to-sell cart for less than 20$.
I'm not dreaming, I'm not guessing, just google for "china pcb maker" and you'll see.
They could sell a lot of carts in the growing neo community.

Not anyone have $400+ for spending on a -retro?- cart. But all of us have $80 for that!!!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If they outsource the pcb manufacturing to China, the game is probably going to end up on the next revision of the multicart.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
The production costs are really low if you make it in China. There are a huge industry there that makes production boards at RIDICULOUS prices. Simply put a PCB, add some cheap bga proms, and you can have a ready-to-sell cart for less than 20$.
I'm not dreaming, I'm not guessing, just google for "china pcb maker" and you'll see.
They could sell a lot of carts in the growing neo community.

Not anyone have $400+ for spending on a -retro?- cart. But all of us have $80 for that!!!
Thankgod someone else is sensible enough to share my opinion rather than ridicule it.

If they outsource the pcb manufacturing to China, the game is probably going to end up on the next revision of the multicart.
:lol::lol::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.