Guess which "classic" SNES game turns 20 today?

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Yes, it's $499. Cart only. The picture you see just has a printout inside of the case so that the game doesn't get sunfade. It's being held in the back of the store.

View attachment 28317

Fucking retro "gamers" and hipster are why the price of good games are so high. This shit is annoying for casual gamers! Who the fuck thinks $60 for Super Mario 64 without the box is a "good" price?

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
I remember Super Nintendo games were really expensive or at least a lot of the ones I wanted. Something like 79 bucks or so. Didn't have much cash in highschool and college to buy these games and do the other stuff I wanted to do, but I managed to save up enough dough to buy a Super Famicom game copier machine. My decision on which copier to get was based on which one could copy and play Killer Instinct, which I think had recently came out.

Boy was that a great purchase. Satisfied most of my gaming fix for the 90s at the cost of just a floppy disk or two per game, great for a broke student. It also allowed me to explore the library of imported Super Famicom games that were totally out of reach (they were usually 100 bucks or more new). Yeah I kinda felt bad about being a huge pirate. I told myself one day I'd own the real things. Though buying them mostly second hand many years later doesn't really help the piracy I did back then.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Can't say I ever rented or played Killer Instinct. Too busy playing SF2 Turbo, Super SF2 and Mortal Kombat.
The game was overhyped in the magazines at the time, the reviews and ads almost claimed the graphics were identical to the arcade. Which, of course, was nowhere near being true. It was as though the arcade and home versions were both designed on SGI computers, so they must have about the same graphics.

Video games are probably like anything else, it's the rarity, condition, and popularity of the game that determines it's value (and increase in value), more than the amount of time you keep it. Or at least, the amount of time it's kept can only amplify the other factors, which won't be much good if they they are low to begin with.

There's a point where it just gets absurd. If your talking about something truly rare...like a development cart, or unfinished ROM cart of a game that was never released, or even something like a NWC NES cart...ok, I can see where it may be valuable to some.

But a production cart fetching anything over $100? Fucking absurd. I'd love to sit down with anyone willing to pay that kind of money for something so worthless and listen to them try to explain it away...

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
I just played Aero Fighters on my Xbox mame. That game is actually pretty badass. Especially for a SNES game. But not $499.99 badass.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I just played Aero Fighters on my Xbox mame. That game is actually pretty badass. Especially for a SNES game. But not $499.99 badass.

Especially since the JP version is much cheaper. The last auction went for $20, and there's one now with no bids at under $8. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

zaneiken

Zero's Tailor
10 Year Member
I bought a copy on launch day. I can recall being pretty disappointed when I got home and fired it up, especially as I had spent a good part of the day playing the arcade version. Played the shit out of the Killer Cuts CD though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member

And this is what gets me.

Person dropping $500 on a SNES cart isn't paying that money to play an ultra rare game. It can be played for next to free (if not entirely free). This isn't 1999, you can get the ROM of anything you want and have a ton of options of playing that ROM, including on the original hardware.

So, they're dropping $500 on a plastic shell, label and a ROM board...and that is simply absurd.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
ughm ughmm, I would totally drop $500 on Aero Fighters.

But where am I going to find one, let alone in good condition?!

(SFC Sonic Wings loops, but I don't care)

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
There's a point where it just gets absurd. If your talking about something truly rare...like a development cart, or unfinished ROM cart of a game that was never released, or even something like a NWC NES cart...ok, I can see where it may be valuable to some.

But a production cart fetching anything over $100? Fucking absurd. I'd love to sit down with anyone willing to pay that kind of money for something so worthless and listen to them try to explain it away...

You honestly telling me you don't have $100 of games on your shelf?

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I know, but it's still $100 in games.

That's exactly the same thing, right? I could eat one $100 steak, and that would be justified because I have over $100 worth of groceries in my fridge. It's hard to really see a difference, here.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
That's exactly the same thing, right? I could eat one $100 steak, and that would be justified because I have over $100 worth of groceries in my fridge. It's hard to really see a difference, here.

Your analogy fails to be funny or correct.

No, it's not exactly the same thing.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
You're seriously going to sit there and say having $100 worth of many games is exactly the same as having one $100 game? That people who scoff at owning a $100 game shouldn't so long as they own $100 worth of games at all?

Not buying it.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You're seriously going to sit there and say having $100 worth of many games is exactly the same as having one $100 game? That people who scoff at owning a $100 game shouldn't so long as they own $100 worth of games at all?

Not buying it.

For the second time, no. It's not exactly the same.

The price I'd pay for a used game that I enjoy is a little irrelevant - about as arbitrary as "$90 is one thing, but a third digit is 'absurd'" mentality. The difference comes in whether or not I know anything about the games. $100 in lots of games is different because in order for me to find a game I enjoy I probably have to buy a bunch of games at whatever their market value is. However, if I had the power to know which game I'd like (let's say, hindsight or even emulation), I'd gladly rather pay $100 or $1000 for that game than have a bunch of other games which are merely "okay" to me. Otherwise, $100 in semi-fungible consumer entertainment is $100 in semi-fungible consumer entertainment. Some guy thinks his $100 in multiple games is somehow so different than the $100 I spent on a game I love? That's what's absurd - some dipshit bragging he was able to buy Final Fantasy AND Super Smash Brothers for the price someone other piece of shit paid for some other fucking video game. Enjoy what you enjoy, and if it happens to cost $100, so be it because you're still a man-child.

Better either of those options than buying $100 in new games, anyway.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You honestly telling me you don't have $100 of games on your shelf?

I'm going to sit here and tell you I haven't actively bought games for close to 5 years now. The games sitting on my shelf (what games are left), I bought when the prices were low and there were no options like an Everdrive available. I picked up the bilk of my games in the late 90's, early 2000's. If I have any $100+ titles sitting on my shelf, it is because they are now "worth" that...not because I paid that for it.

If I were just now getting into this, the prices would easily force my hand into getting ROM carts...there's no way I'd pay current asking prices for what I consider to be good titles.

I knowingly dove into the Neo in 2005. Once I saw what AES games were fetching, I went to MVS. Even with that said, I've sold of my entire MVS collection. The most I dropped on a game was a complete MVS Super Dodgeball kit, I believe it was well under $140.

Like anything else...this is all personal opinion, and I often speak my mind. If I had a good friend that dropped even $250 on an SNES game...I'd tell him I thought he was nuts as well. It is what it is. To me, for something to command that much $$, it had better do something productive. A cart sitting on a shelf that is so costly that you'll never play it does nothing besides sit there.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
To me, for something to command that much $$, it had better do something productive. A cart sitting on a shelf that is so costly that you'll never play it does nothing besides sit there.

Well, do the "cheap" games just sit there too? A low price point shouldn't justify ownership in itself.

I've always got a kick out of those who balk at the idea of buying triple digit games (titles which they may actually enjoy), but have no problem owning tons of low end crap.

If you're able to truly identify a game's significance/role and you really want it, the concept of "I'm spending X dollars on one thing!" shouldn't be a deterent. Otherwise you should just play roms, or quit games altogether and find a hobby more conducive to your priorities/lifestyle.

None of this should apply to the wealthy, destitute, or psycho-hoarders from either end of the spectrum.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well, do the "cheap" games just sit there too? A low price point shouldn't justify ownership in itself.

I've always got a kick out of those who balk at the idea of buying triple digit games (titles which they may actually enjoy), but have no problem owning tons of low end crap.

If you're able to truly identify a game's significance/role and you really want it, the concept of "I'm spending X dollars on one thing!" shouldn't be a deterent. Otherwise you should just play roms, or quit games altogether and find a hobby more conducive to your priorities/lifestyle.

None of this should apply to the wealthy, destitute, or psycho-hoarders from either end of the spectrum.

I shed off a very large portion of my collection about a year or so ago. Got rid of anything that was more "collectors piece" then a title I will actually play. Sold off a ton of stuff.

At this point, nearly every game I own is a game I will play.