Guess which "classic" SNES game turns 20 today?

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
In 1995, everyone was more stoked for Mortal Kombat 3 or Secret of Evermore. I think I even played more Spawn than Killer Instinct that year. Or we were playing Genesis, with Separation Anxiety being a big hit. SF2 of course remained a staple.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I had no idea this was kind of a love it or hate it game. I for one was OBSESSED with it when it came out in arcades. They had these machines at my local mall, and after getting absolutely whooped at first, I vowed to get good at the game. I loved the auto-doubles, ultra combos, skull and howl moves with Spinal/Sabrewolf, etc. Jago and Fulgore were cool characters too. I played the 2 games to death. I was very disappointed 'Ultra 64' did not come out, and all we got was the SNES port of the first game. It played well, despite the look of it though. Later on I ended up getting KI Gold on N64, although my excitement for it was pretty much gone. This was before I could run emulators on the PC, so I was very grateful for any way to play KI at home. I still play KI Gold at home for nostalgia reasons, and a game store somewhat nearby has the KI2 cab that gets my quarters when I visit. I'm not an Xbox gamer, so I have no idea what the new one is like. When it comes to PC, I will insta-buy it though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
In 1995, everyone was more stoked for Mortal Kombat 3 or Secret of Evermore. I think I even played more Spawn than Killer Instinct that year. Or we were playing Genesis, with Separation Anxiety being a big hit. SF2 of course remained a staple.

I was going to say...1995 was all about the Saturn and Playstation.

Sure, we were all aware of trickle titles...but a half-ass "Ultra 64" tide you over effort on the SNES wasn't at the top of many lists when two new systems were hitting the market...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The thing I love the best about KI was Orchid, because I was a young teen.

Yeak ok.

Anyways, I liked KI (snes) as a kid when I didn't know better. I think it sucks now.

Does this happen a lot when revisiting titles from my stupider days? NOT REALLY.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Oddly enough, I never really played KI much on SNES. My buddy won a Blockbuster gaming competition for a full year of free game rentals, and KI was one of the first he got for us to try; we spent the weekend trying to pull off Ultras with all the characters and getting all the stage deaths. I actually played KI2 more (at the arcade), as well as GOLD on the N64.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Everyone in the arcades here absolutely loved KI until some discovered the Cinder juggle.

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
I was going to say...1995 was all about the Saturn and Playstation.

Sure, we were all aware of trickle titles...but a half-ass "Ultra 64" tide you over effort on the SNES wasn't at the top of many lists when two new systems were hitting the market...

Oh, yeah, but there weren't too many of my friends who had either. One had Twisted Metal and we played the shit out of that. I think that was 96 though. By 97, everyone had a Playstation with FF7 or a N64. At least around my parts. I'm sure someone had a Saturn, but I didn't know them.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
HAHAHAAH so accurate! Fuck anyone that had this and only this in their repertoire!

I remember the first time someone did it to me, I had to just stand there and wait pretty much until the round was over. I got pissed and told him that if he did that again I would give him 25 punches to make up for making me waste a quarter. I was working at McDonalds I think at the time or Burger King so I was making minimum wage and every quarter counted.

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
I remember the first time someone did it to me, I had to just stand there and wait pretty much until the round was over. I got pissed and told him that if he did that again I would give him 25 punches to make up for making me waste a quarter. I was working at McDonalds I think at the time or Burger King so I was making minimum wage and every quarter counted.

Absolutely ! This was a cheap attempt at a fighting game that had one thing to master. After playing the SNES version i probably went back to Samurai showdown on the genesis or World heroes and SF on the SNES

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
Absolutely ! This was a cheap attempt at a fighting game that had one thing to master. After playing the SNES version i probably went back to Samurai showdown on the genesis or World heroes and SF on the SNES

Or even Capcom games, or even Fighters History.

Killer Instict more like Killer In stinks!

That was a terrible pun, but seriously. Primal Rage, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, I was never a fan of these series.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's funny...not being a big fan of one-on-one fighters...there's only a few over the years that I really liked:

Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat/2
Samurai Shodown 1-3

All three are slower titles, not a huge emphasis on combos, not overly complicated.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I remember Killer Instinct and Time Killers were the two games that you could put money in at the arcade and lose within 10 seconds.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I remember Killer Instinct and Time Killers were the two games that you could put money in at the arcade and lose within 10 seconds.

This was what I was talking about earlier...the "combo" shit was something I just didn't have the patience for. An opponent or the CPU's ability to drain 50%+ of your energy in one combo (unless you knew the magical "combo breaker") was something that immediately turned me off to the entire scene.

Games like that are like a cold swimming pool...you get in, have the pain of adjustment...then you're in. At that point, you'd better stay in because of you get out, it's painful all over again. Modern sports titles, FPS titles, fighters...all of them require too much of my time to master anymore.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
SNESDrunk (a pretty nice gaming YT channel) just produced a pretty nice vid on SNES KI:

FinalbossNYC

Zero's Tailor
Or even Capcom games, or even Fighters History.

Killer Instict more like Killer In stinks!

That was a terrible pun, but seriously. Primal Rage, Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, I was never a fan of these series.

No it was a great pun I'm still laughing.

:lol: Truth !
It's funny...not being a big fan of one-on-one fighters...there's only a few over the years that I really liked:

Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat/2
Samurai Shodown 1-3

All three are slower titles, not a huge emphasis on combos, not overly complicated.

Good point these games were made sold so one could enjoy simple combat or learn different varying levels of moves and even combos for further enjoyment or mastering.

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Found this gem at my local Play N' Trade last night. It's still there unfortunately.

IMG_1611 (1).JPG

o.pwuaioc

Crossed Swords Squire
Holy fuck is that the price of that game now?

Last edited:

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
Yes, it's $499. Cart only. The picture you see just has a printout inside of the case so that the game doesn't get sunfade. It's being held in the back of the store.

IMG_1611.JPG

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
That is amazing...truly amazing.

I blows my mind how anyone would pay $500 for any SNES game...you'd have to be out of your mind to think a SNES cart is worth anywhere near that price.

I know I keep saying this...but the bubble is going to burst eventually. This is like the absurd housing market of the early 2000's where a $250K house would gain $50K+ in value every 6-8 for no reason what so ever.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
it's sad thinking of video games as investments. "if I hold onto this game for ten years, i may get an extra $10-$20 compared to if i sold it now!" ahaha what a peasant mentality.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
August 30, 1995. Today marks 20 years since Killer Instinct came home to the SNES. Wow. If that doesn't make you feel old.

Share your SNES Killer Instinct stories here! Anyone buy it on launch day? What did you think of the port back in 1995? How do you feel about it today?

It seems people are divided. Some really love it and are impressed, while others can't get over how big of a downgrade it was compared to the arcade. Where do you stand?
Can't say I ever rented or played Killer Instinct. Too busy playing SF2 Turbo, Super SF2 and Mortal Kombat.
The game was overhyped in the magazines at the time, the reviews and ads almost claimed the graphics were identical to the arcade. Which, of course, was nowhere near being true. It was as though the arcade and home versions were both designed on SGI computers, so they must have about the same graphics.

it's sad thinking of video games as investments. "if I hold onto this game for ten years, i may get an extra $10-$20 compared to if i sold it now!" ahaha what a peasant mentality.
Video games are probably like anything else, it's the rarity, condition, and popularity of the game that determines it's value (and increase in value), more than the amount of time you keep it. Or at least, the amount of time it's kept can only amplify the other factors, which won't be much good if they they are low to begin with.

Last edited: