Grinwing's Classic Shock Inserts

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I started playing around with creating an insert for Gururin. There is nothing for artwork out there on the net so I was pretty limited. I ended up reconstructing the pic of the girl as there was writing right across her and the back of her head was behind the logo. I am looking for feedback/ideas on this to flesh it out a bit. Any suggestions as to what to put in the background on the front cover? I was planning on putting 6 screenshots on the back and trying to find whatever I can to add as text to help on the back.

Ready for some feedback, good, bad, whatever.

posterchild9cs.jpg

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Good job so far. I've been searching for something to use on the back cover myself.
-BB

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
If it were my project, i'd find out a lot about the game. I assume you have it so you know more about it than I would. Use that information to come up with some theme, etc to use for your back and even perhaps the background of your front image. It looks good so far, keep it up.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Actually I don't have it yet.... waiting for it to arrive. Only played a little of it emulated and like what I saw.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Here it is a bit further along. Just need to get the background in for the front. I have an idea of what I want to do... just need to find the images to use.

Feedback?
posterchild7eu.png

Last edited:

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Here is the release candidate. I pulled screens from the different characters in the game to come up with the background. Looking back I should have mixed up the order a bit more. Let me know what you think.

Big Bear: If there are any images I have here that you can use, let me know. The character blocks on the background are all individual so you could use them in some way on the back cover.

posterchild9wi.png

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Grinwing said:
Here is the release candidate. I pulled screens from the different characters in the game to come up with the background. Looking back I should have mixed up the order a bit more. Let me know what you think.

Big Bear: If there are any images I have here that you can use, let me know. The character blocks on the background are all individual so you could use them in some way on the back cover.

posterchild9wi.png

very nice man. I like what you did to fill the background on the front. Great Job!

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
Very Nice, especially considering what you had to work with! :mr_t:

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Thanks guys. It's feels good to finally give back to the community. Any chance one of you guys could host this for me? Shoot me a pm.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I decided to try and see what it would look like in black...

posterchild20al.png

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Wow, that looks great! I have made a few inserts with not much to go on (Legend of Success Joe) and it is tough. Yours looks much better than mine tough! Good Job.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Loopy: Do you have any links to your work? I would love to see it.

Hopefully I will get these two versions put on my website in the near future so others can download them.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Sure do! NeoCverA is kind enought to host them for me on his wonderful site. I think mine are pretty bad, but I only do ones that need to be done. Either the games don't have an insert or the insert available is not right (doesn't match, is just a scan of the AES, etc.). So I feel mine kind of fill a niche. My Legend of Success Joe insert sucks, but at least it matches and at least there is one now! Anyway, here's a link to my work.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Nice work on those! I see what you mean about the Joe insert. It takes a bit of work to get one done so don't be hard on it. If I had that game, I would have that insert in the box!

I decided that the Ganryu insert is just a bit off from the continuity of the rest of my boxes. I am starting work on one that will fit more into the classic shock feel. I have the ideas in my head, just need to find the artwork to pull it off. This one should be a bit easier as I have the flyers and can scan them myself.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
It would be great to have a new Ganryu one. The existing one could surely use some updates.

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well... been busy but finally started on the Ganryu insert. This one is again in the classic shock style. Will have two versions, gray and black.

Here is the work in progress. Sorry about the size... forgot to adjust it a bit. Pretty much just need to finish the back. Feedback?
wip4ju.jpg

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Ask Le Geek about some filter he used to make the real cars look cell-shaded in his OverTop insert. That filter might do the trick with your backdrops.

le geek

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
15 Year Member
In Photoshop try using...

Filter | artistic | Poster Edges...

It may help if the images are vibrant to begin with so you may want to use curves or something to get the black and white balance optimized...

Cheers,
Ben

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I am using Paint Shop Pro... will mess with the filters.

Thanks guys

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well... played around with it a bit. I am thinking of 86'ing the background on the back. Keep the feedback coming.

preview9vq.jpg

Grinwing

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well. I have decided to scrap the image on the back. Just not working with what I want to have.

I have asked for le geek's assistance and have a couple of images for you all to look at. Feedback please.

Side by side comparison. First a quick test of the image tweeked by le geek and the second one is my tweeked image. The second one is a bit blurred as the original image is quite small and doesn't like being enlarged very well.
test38wq.png

test40fs.png

Special shout out to le geek for taking the time to work with me on this. Thanks bud!!