General price of all things Neo Geo

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
You can't trust emulators and especially not those bootleg multicarts made from junk with incorrect roms and hacks all over to generate the same experience as you'd get from the real boards...

This is true, but for a lot of people this would be an acceptable trade-off, especially if the prices keep going up. There will always be people willing to buy stuff no matter how much it goes up.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I don't know what you mean, one AES game can cost $200.

Sorry, what I meant was that many of the AES games cost less than $200 individually. $200 may seem high, but all of the other systems I mentioned have many games that cost close to(or more) than that amount.

Ghudda

New Challenger
It's been interesting just now getting into buying for the MVS. It's most apparent when referring to the popular "MVS price charts" to see what I should be spending and the prices being often being drastically higher. It's made it much more of a gradual thing for me, which is good because I'll take my time playing the games and only picking up a new game or two every month or so. Man, but seeing what people pay for NG Dev Team and homebrew games (on eBay) makes me cringe.

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
It's been interesting just now getting into buying for the MVS. It's most apparent when referring to the popular "MVS price charts" to see what I should be spending and the prices being often being drastically higher. It's made it much more of a gradual thing for me, which is good because I'll take my time playing the games and only picking up a new game or two every month or so. Man, but seeing what people pay for NG Dev Team and homebrew games (on eBay) makes me cringe.
Sometimes the MVS price charts can drive prices up, if they're too far above actual market values.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
It's most apparent when referring to the popular "MVS price charts" to see what I should be spending and the prices being often being drastically higher.

Keep in mind, the 'price guide' here, has been out of date for years.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Keep in mind, the 'price guide' here, has been out of date for years.
Does anyone know why they don't update the price guides here very often?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I don't think I've ever seen a Pochi & Nyaa cart going for less than a hundred.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
market needs to crash soon. Too many people with deep pockets wanting a full bookshelf are ruining it for people who want to play games.
who are you referring to here, guys like 8man (who have a whole bookshelf of them)?

NewNeoOwner

Quiz Detective
I have 2, maybe 3 price charts marked and the prices are different on each. It's not worth trying to follow them. Settle on a price you're willing to pay and wait until the right item comes.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I have 2, maybe 3 price charts marked and the prices are different on each. It's not worth trying to follow them. Settle on a price you're willing to pay and wait until the right item comes.
Games are ultimately worth what somebody is willing to pay for them. Price guides are only that, guides.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
I don't know what you mean, one AES game can cost $200.

You're doing it wrong. While you aren't wrong that one AES cart CAN cost 200$, the exact same can be said of MVS now. One CAN cost me over 200$ if I buy say, SSVS. But seriously, you're doing it wrong if that's your general yardstick.

Home cart prices aren't really that bad compared to everything else. You can get a huge chunk of the library for under $200, including many of the must haves.

This. Since I've become an AEShole, I've put together quite a meaty (and satisfying) homecart library, and the vast majority of it ran between 30$-60$ per cart. I can only count about 4 instances in which I've paid 80-100$ for a homecart and every time it's been more than worth it. Granted, I know I'll never get that kinda steal on MoTW, but playing homecarts doesn't have to break the bank if you're smart about your purchases.

But like it's been said so many times. If someone's willing to pay it... this is why games like SSVS are insane no matter what format you wanna buy it in.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
You're doing it wrong. While you aren't wrong that one AES cart CAN cost 200$, the exact same can be said of MVS now. One CAN cost me over 200$ if I buy say, SSVS. But seriously, you're doing it wrong if that's your general yardstick.

This. Since I've become an AEShole, I've put together quite a meaty (and satisfying) homecart library, and the vast majority of it ran between 30$-60$ per cart. I can only count about 4 instances in which I've paid 80-100$ for a homecart and every time it's been more than worth it. Granted, I know I'll never get that kinda steal on MoTW, but playing homecarts doesn't have to break the bank if you're smart about your purchases.

But like it's been said so many times. If someone's willing to pay it... this is why games like SSVS are insane no matter what format you wanna buy it in.
These days you're doing well if you can get SSVS (on MVS) for $200.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Games like TSS kill me. I got it for $25 off ebay from Yaton years ago. Legit everything too. Now I won't rebuy it. Non-neo games shot up too though. Games like Batrider etc..So it's not just Neo. I think more people want good arcade titles and are becoming aware of the fun/valuable titles. Not sure how much the "sac-cart" stuff is hurting the situation. thoughts on that?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
This is true, but for a lot of people this would be an acceptable trade-off, especially if the prices keep going up. There will always be people willing to buy stuff no matter how much it goes up.

Agreed. For my part, I buy to play, and I'm not a rich person so I have to be budget minded. The rising prices are really killing my ability to go authentic on my 4-slot.

Given the choice between blowing over a grand for SSVS on MVS or playing it in MAME, I'm going with MAME.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ignore the ridiculous BIN prices. A couple of months ago the game was sitting at an auction for $75 with no bidders. I was thinking about it myself and ended up trading someone for the game.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
I just read through this whole thread. The answer to your question is what's been said: everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Inflation is partially responsible, but pales in comparison to one undeniable truth. The reason the ENTIRE retro gaming market is turning into a raep fest is because of all the fucking faggot hipsters trying to be cool by collecting a part of history they know almost nothing about. These flanel wearing, waxed mustache, ipad photo taking, pieces of shit grew up playing GameCube at the MOST and scoop older systems like they do vinyl to impress the men that come over after finding their craigslist ads to fist fuck them sans latex glove. I hate them. They don't even play the god damn games. I've seen these fucking pukes hop a 40 minute train to DC with a GameBoy sticking out of their lumberjack's shirt pocket listening to Mumford and Sons on their Beats by Dre and they never even turn the thing on. Makes me wanna almost tea bag a blender.

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
A lot of the carts I got cheaply when I started buying neo have increased in value but the same can be said in reverse, it used to be bloody hard to get some of the early titles cheaply/easily on mvs and some of those more silly prices are deffo down on ebay. Ultimate 11 (MVS) was bizarrely hard to find/buy a couple of years back and now ebay is dripping in them.

+ It ain't all that bad when you have good market areas on forums really... :-)

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
My best find was a couple of carts in a Goodwill :D. Sorry about the hipster rant. I hate hipsters.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
I just read through this whole thread. The answer to your question is what's been said: everything is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Inflation is partially responsible, but pales in comparison to one undeniable truth. The reason the ENTIRE retro gaming market is turning into a raep fest is because of all the fucking faggot hipsters trying to be cool by collecting a part of history they know almost nothing about. These flanel wearing, waxed mustache, ipad photo taking, pieces of shit grew up playing GameCube at the MOST and scoop older systems like they do vinyl to impress the men that come over after finding their craigslist ads to fist fuck them sans latex glove. I hate them. They don't even play the god damn games. I've seen these fucking pukes hop a 40 minute train to DC with a GameBoy sticking out of their lumberjack's shirt pocket listening to Mumford and Sons on their Beats by Dre and they never even turn the thing on. Makes me wanna almost tea bag a blender.

Agree 100% i grew up in the 90s and saved money to go to the arcades once a month and it was always so damn awesome, so thats why i want the games cause of memories i have and the joy they bring me when im playing them. These people have never set foot in an arcade and dont even know what its like. I play all my games, In fact i only buy games that im going to play, i wont buy something just to have it. The neo geo was always something i swore i would have one day cause when youre a kid with very little money its untouchable. I wanted one so bad after playing samurai shodown on the 2 slot we had in the local arcade. I never even saw an AES in person, but in those magazines I would see them and just dream of how awesome it would be to own one of these someday.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Agree 100% i grew up in the 90s and saved money to go to the arcades once a month and it was always so damn awesome, so thats why i want the games cause of memories i have and the joy they bring me when im playing them. These people have never set foot in an arcade and dont even know what its like. I play all my games, In fact i only buy games that im going to play, i wont buy something just to have it. The neo geo was always something i swore i would have one day cause when youre a kid with very little money its untouchable. I wanted one so bad after playing samurai shodown on the 2 slot we had in the local arcade. I never even saw an AES in person, but in those magazines I would see them and just dream of how awesome it would be to own one of these someday.

^ This guy. Sell this guy stuff. And me. At least we appreciate the fucking sentiment and PLAY THE GAMES.