General price of all things Neo Geo

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hi people,
Just checking my feedback and noticed I have only "officially" purchased two things this year.

Previous years were five things per year.

It got me wondering, are things getting way above their worth / are people expecting too much for their Neo Geo stuff?

I've even got a few things of fleabay that are legit but people expect more for on here.

Discuss.........

Oh and IMO sometimes it's worth paying a little extra on here due to decency of person/quality of product/knowledge of item.

Last edited:

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
Hi people,
Just checking my feedback and noticed I have only "officially" purchased two things this year.

It got me wondering, are things getting way above their worth / are people expecting too much for their Neo Geo stuff?

I've even got a few things of fleabay that are legit but people expect more for on here.

Discuss.........

Oh and IMO sometimes it's worth paying a little extra on here due to decency of person/quality of product/knowledge of item.

General pricing? EXPENSIVE. More than it should be.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
Some prices are going crazy. SNK vs Capcom on AES used to be £100. Now it's £250.

SNK vs Capcom MVS kit used to be £50. Now it's £200+

Nightmare in the Dark MVS, used to be under £80, now £120+
Money Puzzle Exchanger MVS, used to £60 or under, now £100+

How about SSVS on MVS, cart under £125, now £250+

Not sure what's going on...

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Supply + demand coupled with inflation.

Something is worth what someone will pay for it. No more, no less.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
It's always worth whatever someone will pay for it.

How the item/transaction is 'valued' is another much more subjective question.

As disappointing, perhaps even damaging, as it maybe for those who want to play neo geo and foster a a scene there is a side of me that is pleased to see games valued highly. That kind of appreciation may be more common here; and more specific, but I wouldn't necessari imply that it is exploitive of the community.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It's all relative. Out of all my AES carts, I only overpaid for MOTW. I knew I was overpaying by a bit, but considering I've been waiting five years to buy the game, I pulled the trigger at a higher than average price. That doesn't make the cart suddenly worth what I paid for everyone else...it just makes it worth what I paid to me.

That's the issue with the Neo scene, and game collecting in general. Everyone looks at the last sale as the new bar that all games should be priced at, as opposed to usually factoring in "desire" vs "demand". There may be a lot of "demand" for a particular cart, but only a few people who "desire" it enough to overpay slightly.

Every other cart I got for pride guide if not lower

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
market needs to crash soon. Too many people with deep pockets wanting a full bookshelf are ruining it for people who want to play games.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I'd only buy a game in its cheapest form so it's usually a loose mvs cart. But every now and then I score a full kit or a homecart at an even lower price.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'd only buy a game in its cheapest form so it's usually a loose mvs cart. But every now and then I score a full kit or a homecart at an even lower price.

+1

I only want to play the games, although a cart in decent condition and with decent label is always appreciated.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
My very first Neo Geo purchase was a 4 slot mobo and 4 games for $60, shipped, (I think is was Puzzle Bobble, and Sam Sho 2, 3, and 4?) back in '06. The prices have definitely come up since then, and have been rising pretty steadily since 2012 when I really bit back in. Honestly I'm not sure they're ever gonna come down.

Unless someone makes a Neo Everdrive that is.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
market needs to crash soon. Too many people with deep pockets wanting a full bookshelf are ruining it for people who want to play games.
Not entirely true.

I buy NeoGeo Home Carts, some of which are expensive, but... I make them a personal priority. I'll save up for a while and buy 2-3 carts a year instead of wasting £40 after £40, week in, week out on the latest 360/XB1 or PS3/PS4 release, only to finish it in a week, and part ex it the following week thereafter, for £10 off my next £40 title, ad infinitum. I'm a game player primarily and my shelf 'filling' is just a byproduct of my long term enjoyment and appreciation for the hobby, NeoGeo and otherwise.

I just get so much more value and enjoyment out of my NeoGeo titles, in the long term, even if they cost more upfront.

MVS has always been the go-to for those just wanting to play the games, regardless of their packaging and presentation, however, Analogue's and Omega's home CMVS offerings for those, not technically inclined to create their own home MVS-gaming-via-the-TV solutions, are now starting to drive MVS prices up, because those who were once inclined to spend 'x' on an AES and AES carts, now finds spending 'y' on a CMVS and MVS carts instead, a bargain by comparison, vs the prices the MVS 'crowd' have traditionally being used to paying.

Unless you have access to a time travel device, you really can't win I'm afraid, although, I think a "proper" multicart or Neo-Everdrive would help for those, just wanting to play the 'games' on real hardware...

Last edited:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Hi people,

Discuss.........

Anything Neo Geo is worth more used than the newer PS3 or X-Box used things, for example. It's rarer, it's collectable, and has intrinsic value as well (i.e., carts vs DVD games).

Just like vinyl records are starting to sell more again, people realise that things like DVDs and CDs (games and music) have virtually no intrinsic value in the media itself (they're just 1s and 0s on a disc), and they're also as common as dirt (unless they're limited editions, and even then they're usually not that limited). At least vinyl records have physical presence, and that physical presence (intrinsic value) can make it easier for their value to rise if they become (or are) rare or in high demand.

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Home cart prices aren't really that bad compared to everything else. You can get a huge chunk of the library for under $200, including many of the must haves. $200 may sound a lot of money, but you'll be spending as much or more for good games for the SNES, NES, or Saturn.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
Shit has definitely gone up. I've got a spreadsheet of everything Neo I have ever bought for my own personal use. Also helps when it comes to selling things too but some stuff has doubled/tripled in price in a relatively short period.

Hoarders and collectors ruin it for the masses as it keeps prices up, me I'm happy with used stuff so long as the label and condition is nice :)

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
General price rules for me is a simple formula... French Price / Italian Price = the real price.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Home cart prices aren't really that bad compared to everything else. You can get a huge chunk of the library for under $200, including many of the must haves. $200 may sound a lot of money, but you'll be spending as much or more for good games for the SNES, NES, or Saturn.
I don't know what you mean, one AES game can cost $200.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I don't know what you mean, one AES game can cost $200.

What the hell is wrong with you, did someone surgically remove your brain and replace it with a mixture of shit and wet concrete?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
What the hell is wrong with you, did someone surgically remove your brain and replace it with a mixture of shit and wet concrete?
I'd still be smarter than you, if that happened.

Last edited:

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
The price has been going up but then again the price on all retro stuff has been going up. Realistically, for people who just want to play the games and not collect, things like MAME etc make it easy just to play, or a CMVS with a multicart. I think with everyone who plays retro games there is a collection element no matter how much people protest and say they just get games to play the games. Not that I'm hating on it, I just admit there is a collection element to the games that I buy/want to play.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Not entirely true.

Unless you have access to a time travel device, you really can't win I'm afraid, although, I think a "proper" multicart or Neo-Everdrive would help for those, just wanting to play the 'games' on real hardware...

It's not really about winning or losing for me,
it's more about having the market crash and a bunch of tossers losing there "investments"...
That would be great.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Realistically, for people who just want to play the games and not collect, things like MAME etc make it easy just to play, or a CMVS with a multicart.
You can't trust emulators and especially not those bootleg multicarts made from junk with incorrect roms and hacks all over to generate the same experience as you'd get from the real boards...

it's more about having the market crash and a bunch of tossers losing their "investments"...
That would be great.
QFT.