Garou: Mark of the Wolves

BigDeadFreak

Rugal's Thug
I've had this game for a couple of years now on MVS and play it from time to time. I love the KoF games and enjoy Real Bout Special but I just can't get into Garou; I just don't see the appeal.

I know people love the graphics/animations but I find all the characters pretty boring and I just don't see the appeal.

What do people see in it? I'm wondering because I don't want to give up on it. I'd be interested to know what other people see in it?

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm in the same boat with you. I don't care much for it but keep it around cause everyone else likes it. I'm all about FFS personally.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Well, is not mandatory the unconditional love for Garou MotW, but I find everything great on it.
Is really fast paced and accessible for beginners, deeper if you want to work on the T.O.P. System and the Guard/Block (similar, but easier than SFIII3RDS). I appreciated the decision of the complete renoval of the roster, we have all the KoFs and the other FFs for all the drama+chara... And man, the technical aspect is pure eye/ear-candy :)
Ironically I don't understand all the love for FFS, at his time I preferred far away SSFII, and now it aged very bad IMHO...

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Dude, Garou is filled with awesome! The top system and just defend are great, move breaking is a hell of a lot funner than focus cancelling, it has one of the best survival modes, and the character roster is brilliant. The execution level needed is pretty low, almost every special is qcfx2, so it's easy for people to get into.

Gato, Jenet, Kevin, Marco/Butt, and Tizoc are some of my favorite SNK characters and are fun as hell. Rock is an awesome amalgamation of Terry and Geese. Terry's redesign was brilliant and greatly needed. The Kaphwan boys are fun and different enough from each other. And of course the game looks beautiful and has awesome stages.

I don't really care for Freeman and I thought Kain was kinda weak for an SNK boss. Sit there and Just defend is fireballs all day and you can never die.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Garou is my favorite fighter of all time with 3rd Strike because they are similar and think SNK did a good job making it as good as 3rd Strike.
The animation is different from their usual fighters and more interesting characters, the movement and controls are very good and it's not a difficult game
to get in to and be good. It's just a good well made game all around to me.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
FFS has no business being as hard as it is. Garou must either be easy on stock mvs settings, or the moves are more noob friendly because I can win every once in a while with that game. FFS is some snk sadism in action.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
FFS has no business being as hard as it is. Garou must either be easy on stock mvs settings, or the moves are more noob friendly because I can win every once in a while with that game. FFS is some snk sadism in action.

I disagree to the extreme.

A fighting games AI has no bearing on it's quality.

Secondly, I don't find MOTW accessible or noob friendly at all.

FFS has an incredibly smooth engine. I think it's look and 1993ness scares people off thinking it plays like some proto-SFII relic.

I can combo in FFS with my eyes closed, but I have to try my damnedest just to buffer into supers in MOTW.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
garou IMO is the best fighter on the neo geo. The game is pretty simple to pick up and play for anybody that is familiar with fighting games at all. The game also has an insane amount of depth if you really want to get into it ill list a few things.

Guard cancelling, this is very difficult to master and takes a lot of time and effort
feint cancelling, this is also pretty difficult when your trying to link normals with some of the higher level combos
break moves, this isnt hard to do but adds some more options for combos and is especially useful when wanting to hit confirm into supers

those are just a few of the things that make this game awesome, not to mention the game is just so beautiful and has awesome music, Just hearing that intro gives me a hard on...

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I much prefer FFS, RB, RBS, RB2 to MOTW, and I was more into Garou before the FF series. To me Garou has a less appealing roster and seems to be missing some of the older SNK charm.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
. To me Garou has a less appealing roster and seems to be missing some of the older SNK charm.

I get what you are saying, i does kind of feel like the missing link in a way. It almost feels more like a Capcom game than an Snk one. Having said that i do think it is the best fighter on the system excluding the sword games.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
MOTWs is actually a very good fighter, once you get JD and a few killer combos down.

Since JD is back command, just think of it as a no-risk parry.

So far, I think: Rock is fun, but weak. Terry is solid, and well balanced. And, BJ is just awesome. :drool:

Seen some neat stuff with the other cast members.

But lately KOF and CHAOS have been getting a lot of play.

Last edited:

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I cant get into this game, boring characters and gameplay. The graphics and animation is boss though.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I'm probably the only one on this forum who hasn't played it yet but i have seen some gameplay and the animations and backgrounds look very nice.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
I do like Garou, it is a little piece of awesome. But I'd still put RBS on if I want to play a FF game.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I cant get into this game, boring characters and gameplay.

Illustrate what "boring gameplay" is.

Do it.

EDIT: Is the feint combos? The BC breaks? The application of Just Defend? The implementation of TOP moves?

"I just don't like a game" =/= "boring gameplay".

Last edited:

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
It's the deepest Neo fighter. It's gorgeous. It's fun at all skill levels. What's not to like?

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
Illustrate what "boring gameplay" is.

Do it.

EDIT: Is the feint combos? The BC breaks? The application of Just Defend? The implementation of TOP moves?

"I just don't like a game" =/= "boring gameplay".

Its the abuse of the feint combos as it gets really old fast. Competitive play is non existence even at release. But my main grip with the game is lack of character selection means the gain gets boring fast in my opinion. Even with all the FC, BC breaks, JD, and TOP, it still pales in comparison to 3rd Strike in terms of gameplay and lasting power.

Don't get me wrong, its a good game...but not GREAT.

This video shows the silliness of feint combos

Last edited:

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
That video is all tool assisted and hardly representative of competitive play. But you are right, sometimes the feint cancelling gets kinda lame.

Third strike was the second update to Street Fighter 3. Just imagine if Garou had two upgrades how awesome it would be. I love me some third strike, but only about a third of the roster ever sees any use.

This series is pretty entertaining.

Last edited:

valgalder

Kula's Candy
I find it to be one of the most approachable fighters yet have really deep gameplay.. that's a rare balance. Last Blade is still my favorite fighter on the Neo, but this is a solid second for me.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
yeah Garou is a good game and all, but I also prefer other Neo fighers over it. Besides the gameplay choices made I find the "art style" needs some getting used to. I certainly won't pay the hell crazy prices the MVS carts are going for atm, so I've only play the DC port up to now...

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
No hate here. It's just different and some of the other Neo fighters just look (and play) better to me.