Games You'll Never Get To Play Again

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
The Afterburner R360 cabinet that rotates 360 degrees. I would love to try that someday, if I can ever find a working one.

Lots of luck in that. Only 150 were made (and the game inside of it originally was G-Loc).

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
Lots of luck in that. Only 150 were made (and the game inside of it originally was G-Loc).

There was a Retro Gamer article about that G-Loc cab a few issues ago

My vote goes to Star Wars Trilogy arcade, haven’t seen one of those in a while, love to play that again, that and Scud Race/ Sega GT in their og arcade form

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The game of picking up women on A Saturday night when I was young, single and handsome.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
There was an enjoyable head-to-head Speed Racer racing game by Namco years ago that never got a port for some reason. I'm sure it's MAME-able but I'm not expecting to see the real thing ever again.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Golly Ghost. I only ever saw one of these at Chuck E. Cheese's. I must have been in first grade or maybe even kindergarden, and the first time I saw it I was in awe. It's a combination of using an actual physical background and video game graphics - the background models would open (like a door, chest, toilet, etc.) when the ghosts would come in or out of the room.

As we age, our sense of wonder fades. Seeing that game as a child was awesome to me, in the truest sense of the word. I was awestruck. It was like watching magic. I can never have that feeling again.

Looking on youtube, here's a great video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnK9t0ebiV8

Skip to around the 7:00 mark to see the diorama up close.

Even if I could play this game again, I'm sure I would smile, but that sense of wonder would be gone.

edit: not Chuck E. Cheese, it was still called Showbiz at that time. Makes me think what kids are awestruck with now.

Last edited:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Probably all of the SFC and Saturn games that I sold, and the non-ACA'd Neo Geo ones.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Every first-generation Xbox Live game. It's strange to think that the client-side code is still on every disc, but the service is permanently offline and locked out via still-unbroken crypto.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Chromehounds comes to mind whenever I think of games that I'll never br able to play. Sure, you can play the single player campaign, but it only serves as a training module for the real game online.

The online portion was great as there was a war between 3 factions. Like modern multiplayer games, a random act would occur and would be rolled out sporadically.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Chromehounds comes to mind whenever I think of games that I'll never br able to play. Sure, you can play the single player campaign, but it only serves as a training module for the real game online.

The online portion was great as there was a war between 3 factions. Like modern multiplayer games, a random act would occur and would be rolled out sporadically.

I was just going to write Chrome Hounds. I think I would pay some money to play that again online. Good memories of hanging out with friends on that.

I'd love a cheap version of Phantasy Star Universe to pass the time with people as well. I know a lot of people didn't like that when it came out, but it hit a sweet spot for me.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I was just going to write Chrome Hounds. I think I would pay some money to play that again online. Good memories of hanging out with friends on that.

I'd love a cheap version of Phantasy Star Universe to pass the time with people as well. I know a lot of people didn't like that when it came out, but it hit a sweet spot for me.
I really enjoyed Phantasy Star Online. I know there's an English patch for PSO 2 but I just miss the old Dreamcast days. That was a fun game to play with people online.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
I really enjoyed Phantasy Star Online. I know there's an English patch for PSO 2 but I just miss the old Dreamcast days. That was a fun game to play with people online.

There are private servers for PSO that support the Dreamcast, Gamecube, PC Episodes I & II, and PSO: Blue Burst versions of the game. Although I don't know why you wouldn't play anything but PSOBB since it has episodes 1, 2, and 4, and is the most up to date version of the game with community-driven mods, etc.

This is the best one in my opinion: https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/

It has a ton of quality of life fixes, custom additions, new modes, widescreen support, difficulty levels, and a ton of other stuff:

https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/what-ephinea-brings-to-the-table/

https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/about-ephinea/

Last I checked, Episode 3 support was in beta and didn't work great but no one has that working properly yet as far as I know.

The server software is open source (Tethealla), so you can run your own if you choose to, and even export your character from the Ephinea to wherever (it's a one way transfer though).

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member

Thanks for the correction, I have never played G-Loc either, is that more of an inferior AB clone?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Moon Lander on a giant 3270 IBM mainframe system, loaded from a Winchester drive.

There are emulators for it but I will never forget the real thing. I was 10 and the father of my best friend Frank took us to his place of work, a phonebook company which had that big-ass computer system and loads of terminals with amber or green screens (mainly DEC, Zenith and Philips). He loaded the game for us and went on to do his work and we played the game for three hours straight.

Sitting there between all that space-age computer stuff while playing a great game and NOT having to pay for it was just magical. The experience was very intense for me and influenced me quite a bit, from my career in IT to making music. OG Techno Head stuffs.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Galaxian^3 in the Namco Theatre at the Trocadero in Piccadilly Square.

PBbJ4WoUQrmNgjdmQfVA

and R360 at Michael Jackson's house.

r-360.jpg

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Wasn't there a huge StarBlade simulator that was made too?

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Wasn't there a huge StarBlade simulator that was made too?

I believe so. In fact, I think it was "Starblade Alpha" that I played at Trocadero. I also played G-Loc in an R360 at the Trocadero. What a great place. Too bad it's gone now.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Most of the shmups I used to play with friends 10+ years ago. Most have become astronomically expensive, obscure, or just plain unemulated.

I'm not against emulation, but nothing compares to playing on a real pcb (0 lag) on a cab.

I miss those days.

Shout Out to whoever mentioned Scott Pilgrim. When I went to buy it on XBLA (way after it was released), I found out it was delisted.

Thanks Obama!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I think nearly all games I thought had been lost have now been emulated.

But playing some games on original hardware now thats a different story!

That being said I remember in my youth there used to be a cocktail machine in my local that used to play some kind of space invaders type game.
But what made it unique (well to me I have never seen one since) was that you controlled your gun thing with a spinner and it was 2 player.
I moved away from the area some years ago and it had always been there in the corner until about 2 years ago new owners had the place and scrapped the machine!

I wish I had known as I would of brought it and saved it but I think that is a game I will never get to see or play again.
And even worse I have no idea wtf it was called but I put many 20p pieces in that thing enjoying a beer!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I think nearly all games I thought had been lost have now been emulated.

But playing some games on original hardware now thats a different story!

That being said I remember in my youth there used to be a cocktail machine in my local that used to play some kind of space invaders type game.
But what made it unique (well to me I have never seen one since) was that you controlled your gun thing with a spinner and it was 2 player.
I moved away from the area some years ago and it had always been there in the corner until about 2 years ago new owners had the place and scrapped the machine!

I wish I had known as I would of brought it and saved it but I think that is a game I will never get to see or play again.
And even worse I have no idea wtf it was called but I put many 20p pieces in that thing enjoying a beer!

This?

http://www.rotheblog.com/2009/12/arcade/bleepity-bloopity-ipm-invader/

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Could be one of these?

Mad Planets

Kozmik Kroozr

Major Havoc

Zektor

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Cheers for the suggestions guys but it wasnt any of them.

It was a Black and white game, Then think plain old space invaders but with a spinner to control the ship/gun/thingy ma bob.

I seem to recall the little base things you could get cover under and the aliens were also a different shape to the original space invaders.

I suspect it may of been a bootleg of some kind or another.
The pub in question was never a wealthy pub so I doubt it would of ever got a official cabinet.

Sadly now its in a landfill site rotting I doubt anyone will ever know :(

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
Socom US Navyseals. First online multiplayer game for me. I remember the headsets and just being in awe that we could talk to the team ingame. First time i joined a clan as well, we even had meet ups because we lived so close to eachother (i have the dvd here somewhere). There was a couple in the clan as well, lovely people. Good times!

It was a time where i was in awe of gaming in general where the release of GTA3 felt like the second coming of Christ. It's the same kinda awe i have for VR right now as wel.