Road Avenger is amazing and worth at least emulating

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Mega CD > NGCD except for fighting games

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Had that on Saturn a lifetime ago. Never was very good at those Dragon's Lair style games.
The Sega CD one is the only one I'll play, with its different soundtrack and easier gameplay.

Only the best of the fucking best was on the list of Sega CD games I posted, and Road Avenger was the only FMV game that made the list. Cobra Command can have honorable mention.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
The Sega CD one is the only one I'll play, with its different soundtrack and easier gameplay.

Only the best of the fucking best was on the list of Sega CD games I posted, and Road Avenger was the only FMV game that made the list. Cobra Command can have honorable mention.
I'll check it out one day. Cause yeah. The gameplay on Saturn was brutal and didn't really inspire you to continue with what felt like endless cheap deaths.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'll check it out one day. Cause yeah. The gameplay on Saturn was brutal and didn't really inspire you to continue with what felt like endless cheap deaths.
Yea the scd port is the best way to play imo. I also dug the Kamen Rider fmv game too tbh

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Have a better solution? lol

I still will use the disc drive on the few games I'll be able to get / can bear dealing with their load times on. But I mean, I'm not paying list price on a lot of the games out there, now, that's for damned sure. The SD Loader will help in those cases.

Regardless, it's frankly just a tinker project and a curiosity at this point. I have my MVS for everything else. I've always liked the aesthetics of the front loader, and figured if I could get one for under a hundred bucks, fuck it.. why not.

It just rubs us the wrong way when someone gets a mint as hell NGCD front loader and their first thought is to mod it.

You could just... you know... burn a few CD-Rs, maybe pick up a few cheap original games... and play it as-is.

You keep talking about bearing with the load times and how you already have an MVS. Why does this NGCD need to be like your MVS? You already have an MVS, what you want an MVS 2: Electric Boogaloo in a fancy case? If you can't stand load times, maybe you shouldn't have bought a NGCD? What were you expecting? It's the Neo Geo CD, long load times is its signature feature. Maybe if you were in the know on NGCD, you'd know non-fighters are generally pretty quick for loading, so you would play games on it that play to its strengths.

tl;dr burn a CD-R of Neo Turf Masters and stop being a fagit.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Everytime I look at a neo cd I think to myself that'd be cool for nam1975 but then I think naaah I've got mame.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
It just rubs us the wrong way when someone gets a mint as hell NGCD front loader and their first thought is to mod it.

Nah, there was only a few tens of thousands of them made which makes them all rare. Who cares what some fagit does with his own shit.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
cober comand!!!

You could just... you know... burn a few CD-Rs, maybe pick up a few cheap original games... and play it as-is.

You keep talking about bearing with the load times and how you already have an MVS. Why does this NGCD need to be like your MVS? You already have an MVS, what you want an MVS 2: Electric Boogaloo in a fancy case? If you can't stand load times, maybe you shouldn't have bought a NGCD? What were you expecting? It's the Neo Geo CD, long load times is its signature feature. Maybe if you were in the know on NGCD, you'd know non-fighters are generally pretty quick for loading, so you would play games on it that play to its strengths.

tl;dr burn a CD-R of Neo Turf Masters and stop being a fagit.
The installation isn't really all that intrusive, but I'm assuming someone that can find such a mint condition front loader can also have a second unit or a legitimate mvs/aes to actually play these games off an SD card though.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Again, I have an MVS, so this is more of a curiosity, something I've wanted for a long time and something to futz around with. Also, again, the mod is 100% reversable and does not alter the shell of the system in any way, not damaging it at all.

Lastly, if I want to light the damn thing on fire, that's my prerogative.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Sorry about the delay on the pics, btw. Mod is installed, but the controller ports aren't responding, so need to figure that out. Will post pictures of the mod once it's buttoned up.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, good thing about the mod is it doesn't interfere with the drive or the shell. Completely damage less mod. I plan on playing physical games ill collect along with loading roms from the card.
As someone who's never had an sdloader, how does this work? Do you have to open and disconnect the sdloader to go back to loading discs?

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
When you open the tray you gain access to it. This is the work so far. Mod is done.

20230419_203330.jpg20230420_000807.jpg123_1(2).jpeg123_1(1).jpegoutput_image1681999217497.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
And no, if you wire it this way, the drive works along with the sd card loader. Both work in tandem. There is a way to set it up, however, if you dont have a working drive and dont need the system to allow access to it.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Nice looking unit, certainly appears to have been looked after!

Nevertheless, another totally un-neccessary piece of hardware from SNK. I love the Neo Geo CD, but they should have just weighed in with the toploader instead of putting this monstrosity out.

Makes an OG Xbox look like a PC Engine.
Been years since I'd seen that model. I wouldn't do any sort of modding to it at all.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Interested how the software works and if it intercepts the bios or replaces it or something

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
From furrtek's site:
"The Neo CD SD Loader could be called an ODE (Optical Drive Emulator) because the benefits are similar, but technically speaking it isn't really one. It doesn't simulate an optical drive. It provides the console with a direct interface to an SD card and patches the BIOS to load games from it instead. From an user standpoint though, the functionality is the same !"

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Sorry about the delay on the pics, btw. Mod is installed, but the controller ports aren't responding, so need to figure that out. Will post pictures of the mod once it's buttoned up.
And so it begins...