Found a Neo Geo front loader that lived a life in storage

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Found my first front loader. Spent its life in storage. Outside has no wear, ive never held such new feeling cd pads in my life, and the insides look fresh out of the factory, no dust...nothing. We have it torn down atm adding in the sd card reader from furrtek but the drive works and is smooth as butter.

Crazy low serial of 5471. Just smitten with it. Things larger than freakin og xbox, but I love it.

Screenshot_20230418-182214_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182225_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182244_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182306_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182329_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182350_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182406_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182432_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182110_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230418-182129_Gallery.jpg

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Gonna recap the thing or leave it to shit itself then beg someone here to recap and fix it for you?

Installing the sd reader, but need help with simple capacitors? Nah, I'm good...

Everything's being stripped down and maintenanced. Don't worry your little head.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Installing the sd reader, but need help with simple capacitors? Nah, I'm good...

Everything's being stripped down and maintenanced. Don't worry your little head.
why are you speaking about this thing like its a vehicle? Are you gonna change the cd drive transmission fluid while it’s down? Lube the cd tray pistons? Recalibrate the s-video exhaust port?

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Looks extra mint, take care of it.

Are you going to also leave the drive hooked up as a option

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Nice looking unit, certainly appears to have been looked after!

Nevertheless, another totally un-neccessary piece of hardware from SNK. I love the Neo Geo CD, but they should have just weighed in with the toploader instead of putting this monstrosity out.

Makes an OG Xbox look like a PC Engine.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Looks extra mint, take care of it.

Are you going to also leave the drive hooked up as a option

Yeah, good thing about the mod is it doesn't interfere with the drive or the shell. Completely damage less mod. I plan on playing physical games ill collect along with loading roms from the card.

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Nice looking unit, certainly appears to have been looked after!

Nevertheless, another totally un-neccessary piece of hardware from SNK. I love the Neo Geo CD, but they should have just weighed in with the toploader instead of putting this monstrosity out.

Makes an OG Xbox look like a PC Engine.

Its definitely a chunky bastard lol. Makes my Supergrafx with attached terraonion next to it look super small.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Very nice console. I'm envious that you're confident enough in your recapping abilities to take on a minty unit like this. I don't care how good you are at soldering, recapping is a destructive process. As long as it works and unless it's a system known for low quality caps like a PC Engine or Sega CD, I doubt the caps are about to leak.

Last edited:

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Very nice console. I'm envious that you're confident enough in your recapping abilities to tank on a minty unit like this. I don't care how good you are at soldering, recapping is a destructive process. As long as it works and unless it's a system known for low quality caps like a PC Engine or Sega CD, I doubt the caps are about to leak.

Thanks! Theyre not bulging and its producing a beautiful picture. We're set. But I've recapped many consoles. If something goes ary I'll be ok. Not sure why that guy went agro about that but im more than capable of maintaining my systems.

Love your channel btw. Ive been subbed for some time.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Very nice console. I'm envious that you're confident enough in your recapping abilities to tank on a minty unit like this. I don't care how good you are at soldering, recapping is a destructive process. As long as it works and unless it's a system known for low quality caps like a PC Engine or Sega CD, I doubt the caps are about to leak.
You would be wrong then.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Nice.
They are big but the top loader isn't a small machine by any standard itself.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Well pony up big tyma!
Actually if I could get one for a decent price I wouldn't mind having a top loader again.
:Fondly remembers my first Neo while simultaneously forgetting about load times:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
@max 330 mega Are you aware of a cap leak on a Neo Geo CD that caused damage?
Yes, to a man child named daytonausa’s console. Burnt holes over time right through the who gives a fuck litmus test strip and now the system only fires up when a coomer remembers wanting a sega CD but instead owning burning fight on NGCD, cant wait to….. wait to play!

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Ew, please...out of all the things to call me...

Please don't say I'd want to play a Sega CD.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Wait a minute, you're putting an sd card reader into that?

daytonausa

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
10 Year Member
Dem's fightin words

*ding ding*

The only "great" game on Sega CD is Sonic CD, and even that's mediocre at best compared to the rest of the games on Genesis. Otherwise the system is just a minefield of crap arcade ports, 3DO titles and such gems as Moto Cross Championship, Blackhole Assault, and the Lawnmower Man.

The only thing it's notable for is it's fierce competition with it's sister console the 32X, which it duked it out with till the death, competing for space in discount bins outside the front door of Funcolands across Middle America, not even worth having in the discount area INSIDE the store, because they didnt even care if they were lifted by passerbys.

Last edited: