**Fist of the North Star Appreciation Thread**

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I was talking about the first one, but had no idea it had already been released.

Did you try it? What did you think? Is it just another DW game or does it let the One Piece IP alter the formula?

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I was talking about the first one, but had no idea it had already been released.

Did you try it? What did you think? Is it just another DW game or does it let the One Piece IP alter the formula?

I haven't yet, but my brother got the platinum, and based on what he told me of it, it seems to follow Ken's Rage formula. In case you are interested, it's currently on 50% sale on PSN for $25.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Good to know. I will have to jump on it at that price.

I've been reading the One Piece Manga (first five volumes) and enjoy it for what it is. It's nothing so magnificent that I consider it 'the best' but it's been fun and silly and light. Those are its best qualities, actually.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Alright, I've spent the past few hours in legend mode. Straight away...I'm getting what I thought I would. It's a musou game. Lots of enemies to mow down, button mash fest.

It's the content that has been the most impressive. You have legend mode, which is the series story. Through the progression of legend mode you unlock characters to play in dream mode. Dream mode is a side story made specifically for each playable character you can unlock.

Taiso asked about language and subtitle options in a previous post (this is for you, buddy). Language is Japanese-only, and subtitles are toggle on or off. As for other options the button layout is fully customizable. Which is something not enough games offer these days.

Graphically the game looks good, occasionally great. The world has very little detail. Character models look great and are animated well. Heavy attacks, special attacks, and unique attacks have the expected amount of flash.

Gameplay wise...well, lets say there're no surprises. Light attacks, heavy attacks, use specials in a crowd or against leader types, repeat. However, it's nice to see that Koei has improved their engine. The game runs really fast. I'd say a constant 60 fps with slight dips when things get chaotic.

All in all I like it. If you're a fan of the series or just anime in general I say give the game some of your time. It's not the gameplay that'll bring you back, it's the content. Ken's Rage 2 is just one big love letter to the fans.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
Just bought the EU copy off eBay. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

Kens Rage 1 is the only PS3 game I've earned a platinum trophy, it was also my introduction to the world of HnK.

109 episodes of the manga later I'm hooked and when Ken's Rage 2 arrives I'm in for 100+ more hours of Hokuto Shinken bliss!

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Can someone list me all the HnK animes that came out after the 3 Shin Hokuto no Ken movies?

One of my friends told me back then that there was gonna be an OVA for each of the main characters. I spotted one or two OVA's that seem to revolve around Raoh (judging by their name), but then I stopped following. Then, all of a sudden recently, I found out there is a whole mini series just for Raoh. I tried to search online, but I couldn't find a definitive list.

Edit: Does this list in the Related Anime section cover them all? http://myanimelist.net/anime/967/Hokuto_no_Ken

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Can someone list me all the HnK animes that came out after the 3 Shin Hokuto no Ken movies?

One of my friends told me back then that there was gonna be an OVA for each of the main characters. I spotted one or two OVA's that seem to revolve around Raoh (judging by their name), but then I stopped following. Then, all of a sudden recently, I found out there is a whole mini series just for Raoh. I tried to search online, but I couldn't find a definitive list.

Edit: Does this list in the Related Anime section cover them all? http://myanimelist.net/anime/967/Hokuto_no_Ken

I am intoxicated and my memory sucks, but if I can recall for the 25th anniversary they made 4 movies, 1 about Raoh, Yuria, Toki and Ken, that were only released in Japan. The Raoh series you mention is called legends of the dark king, and in my opinion is pretty awful compared to just about every other release in the series.

Magician

20 Year Member
I really like the scroll system. It adds a sort of PSO quality to the game's replayability. I'd imagine it'll take quite some time to form an ultimate nexus. Pretty cool stuff.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up on the language thing, Mags.

So I downloaded One Piece: Pirate Warriors. I can't believe how much these games have come along. It still feels like a Musou game, but the technology they're using to adapt some of these IPs really speaks to understanding the 'vibe' of their target audience. I can't imagine anyone who is a serious fan of One Piece disliking it. The visual presentation and style it shows really capture the flavor of the manga and anime.

I guess that's what amazes me about how KT keeps making new Musou games. They seem to know exactly what the fans want and give it to them every time. Even the development is niche and tailored to a very narrow, specific set of goals, but the fans keep eating it up.

I just started seriously playing the first Hokuto Musou and I like it so far. If I enjoy it enough, I'll buy the second one in a week or two.

Magician

20 Year Member
At seventeen hours I've finished the single player campaign. Overall, the story was enjoyable. It was interesting (and surprising) to see how some characters were moved around in the 86' movie in comparison to the series. And the game's credit sequence was also short and sweet.

Good game.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
PS3 version will also be a digital-only release. Seems like the 360 will have the only physical release.
Just checking in now because I've been waiting for this to come out and that is some bullshit. I guess I won't be playing the game. Thanks, Sony.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
guys
guys
what if...

kenshiro is a jojo from the future?

I like HnK but I would never sit through a 100+ something episode long series, I barely manage to finish a 26 episode long one these days...

Last edited:

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
guys
guys
what if...

kenshiro is a jojo from the future?

I like HnK but I would never sit through a 100+ something episode long series, I barely manage to finish a 26 episode long one these days...

Try Ritalin, or adderol.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The comic is much better anyway. Even the finale is watered-down weakness by comparison in the cartoon. I don't know if any publisher has ever finished translating the comic, or if you'd have to go with some fan translation, but that's the route I'd go. You can get through the comic a hell of a lot faster than the animated series, too.

But I know what you mean about longer cartoon series. I don't even start with them anymore. Around 50 episodes is my limit, and around 25 is my ideal.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The HnK manga was never officially translated into English in its entirety. Shame, too, because I'd love to read it. Something tells me I'd dig it a lot more than the anime, which is fun but can drag in places.

My biggest complaint about those long series is when the animation quality dips while the A team is prepping the more important episodes. It's irritating to see the characters' arms suddenly get more stumpy and for the lighting to change so much that there are no longer shadows in that world until the beter animators return. Even stuff as simple as the way explosions and dust clouds look...during those long series, it's so painfully obvious when the animation gets more cut rate for stretches at a time that it bugs the shit out of me.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've only seen the original movie back when I was a kid and loved it, back then post-apocalyptic shenanigans where the shit...Thunderdome...good times. I've also played the AW cart and the new Konami game demo.

I'm good with the memory of the movie and the aw game. I glanced at all the new things FOTNS and I'm not that interested.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I'm good with the memory of the movie and the aw game. I glanced at all the new things FOTNS and I'm not that interested.
the original comic > the original animated series >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the animated movie

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
The movie was my introduction to HnK, but that film is pretty bland, IMO.

Problem is that once I exposed myself to the story and how all the characters are connected to one another, I could never go back and watch the movie again.

I actually like some of the later OVAs more than I like the movie.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I could see if the animated movie was someone's only exposure to the story -- like it was EG's -- thinking it was pretty cool. It's not horrible by any means. It is just, as you say, very bland in comparison.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Btw I just checked: the fan translation for the manga goes up to vol.27 chapter 50. It's on mangahere if anybody's interested.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I could see if the animated movie was someone's only exposure to the story -- like it was EG's -- thinking it was pretty cool. It's not horrible by any means. It is just, as you say, very bland in comparison.

The soundtrack to the movie is fucking epic. Possibly the shittiest J Rock I've ever heard.