Firearm enthusiast thread

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
If I was going to do 9mm I'd make an AR15. Most of the others are not that great from what I've heard.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If I was going to do 9mm I'd make an AR15. Most of the others are not that great from what I've heard.

Yeah, a lot of the 9mm carbines i've seen on the internet look downright scary, especially when you see the price (waaaay to cheap). It's like you'll probably die trying to use the gun when it fails and the bullet explodes in the chamber throwing plastic through your eye and in to your brain.

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
:loco:

0856252210000082535556.share.jpg

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Come on! You can't post that pic and not give any info.:mad:

On a different note... it is legal to own suppressors in Missouri today!!:buttrock:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
That gun is almost as vulgar as the sod carrying it.
Who the hell makes them that big? Barrett? LAR?

Anyway, I got a new question for anyone who knows.
Don't laugh but...what are the limitations of most capable gunsmiths these days?

Are they only capable of fine tuning and/or minor cosmetic alterations? Or can you get some really drastic shit if you have enough money to piss away?

For example, lets say I took 3 guns...each one with a cool feature that I'd want to integrate into one pistol: The OTS-33 Pernach for its monolithic design and low, extended dustcovers and tall slide, the Colt 1900s proportions, and The LAR MK1 10'' Longslides ridiculous dimensions and extended barrel.

...and could it be done for around 6 grand? Cause if it can, so help me god, I will commission one to be built.

So far the closest I have seen to this is a very awesome Caspian/SVI custom by Don Golembieski seen here.

So in a nutshell, I'm still wondering if they can one-off a much longer slide/frame like on the OTs-33 with a longer barrel, on what would be more or less a 1911 hi-cap platform?

...is this possible?! Or would I need a shitload of money and education to become a weapon designer/entrepreneur or something...thanks in advance for any serious answers guys.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
There are probably only a handful of "Gunsmiths" in all of the North American continent that COULD do what you're asking. You'd first have to do the research to find one of them, then they'd have to want to work on such a project, and I doubt it would be for $6,000 bucks. Probably closer to $10,000. I mean, we're talking about a one of a kind custom job that would indeed take skills. But even if it could be done, you'd have to have practically EVERY certification under the sun and be within the rights of your respective state to own such a weapon.

I once wanted a gunsmith to build me "semi auto only" repros of the STG.44 (MP-44) assault rifle but chambered for the 7.62x39mm like the Kalishnikov versus the 7.92 calibre, and have specially designed mags for it. The guy I talked to said No Way Man. His reasons...

#1> Too time consuming.
#2> I'd need to place an order for at least 10 or more to cut on costs.
#3> Too much hassle building [even for a repro] something that while
semi auto, would be viewed by the Federal Government as "unknown"
in origins for Mil-Spec weaponry. Basically every firearm imported into
the country, made here etc is known about, have serial numbers etc.
If someone is making repros or even ALL NEW WEAPONS, even if configured
within the "legal" means, it's not a recognized arms dealer, and you bypass
the big boys greasing their palms.

If you want to, by all means go for it, and what you're asking isn't for repros
of an older assault rifle, but just know it's going to cost. I might be waaaaay
off on my monetary guesstimate though. Most gunsmiths that I've met are
GOOD, but keep it to the basic-to-intermediate stuff.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Awesome answer Merc I appreciate it.

Maybe it wouldn't be so crazy if you could just build around a regular hi-cap frame and use an (already existing) 10 inch barrel from the grizzly. Then most of the remaining headaches would be with designing a slide from scratch....though I have no idea how involved/laborious it is to machine something like that.

Maybe I should just draw up some blueprints and start phoning some local manufacturers...see if they are interested in creating an alternative to the ubiquitous *Desert Eagle....

*EDIT#34525: I forgot about Wildeys.

Last edited:

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
On a different note... it is legal to own suppressors in Missouri today!!:buttrock:

thats weird, did some new law go into effect on august 28th or what?

That gun is almost as vulgar as the sod carrying it.
Who the hell makes them that big? Barrett? LAR?

im not entirely sure, saw it posted randomly at another gun forum. looks like an old, modified military anti tank rifle

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
LOL I went looking for the type of gun by typing "50 cal BMG"... and I get an article and a picture of this clown:

tripleaction50bmg1.jpg

At first I thought this guy was being a goof and just holding the action like a handgun but apparently someone actually made a fucking 50 cal BMG handgun. :oh_no:

18378.jpg

That's gotta be one of the stupidest, most awesome things I have ever seen.

Still no idea on the gun that Arti Lange is carrying in that pic though. =(

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Come on! You can't post that pic and not give any info.:mad:

Wait, what?

I thought Federal Law made it illegal to own a supressor?

EDIT: Ah I see...still looks like a royal pain in the ass to get one though - at least it's possible now, and i'm sure the true enthusiasts will be getting them.

Last edited:

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
LOL I went looking for the type of gun by typing "50 cal BMG"... and I get an article and a picture of this clown:

tripleaction50bmg1.jpg

At first I thought this guy was being a goof and just holding the action like a handgun but apparently someone actually made a fucking 50 cal BMG handgun. :oh_no:

18378.jpg

That's gotta be one of the stupidest, most awesome things I have ever seen.

Still no idea on the gun that Arti Lange is carrying in that pic though. =(

That's honestly something I'd love to own. The most powerfull handgun I've ever shot was/is the .500 Super Magnum, but that .50BMG would be aces to own and shoot. It be like having Chirico Cuvie's Bauhauser ARMOR MAGNUM from VOTOMS that could pierce 14mm to 25mm thick armor on APCs, Armored Troopers and transports... which in reality would be like having a handgun that could slice through a modern APC/BTR.

Of course there isn't any NEED for one, and I think that particular pistol looks ugly as fuck, but hey... it's been done. :tickled:

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
thats weird, did some new law go into effect on august 28th or what?

He signed the law awhile back, but it went into effect the 28th. You have to have a FFL, like a Curio and Relics license. Of course pay the $200 tax stamp, but then it's yours.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Well it looks like the .50BMG Pistol is a thing of the past...

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2005/01/the_thunder_50_.html

seems the picture put up here was a one shot "Prototype".

and the other more elusive Maddi-Griffin .50BMG pistol(s)
ARE out there somewhere... but they fall under the "unknown"
I was mentioning and you wouldn't want to be caught with
one of those from what this article says...

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2005/01/the_maadi_griff.html

Sad really... but now I realize I was a bit off. The Bauhauser Armor Magnum from VOTOMS was probably a 20mm hangun and not a .50BMG. That be some shit though to have a properly "ported" 20mm handgun.

:buttrock::buttrock:
FACKIN' POWER BABY!

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I don't have anything that I only take to the range... then again, I take them all to the range. What do I like shooting the most? My 1911 .45.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I have a Walther P-22 that pulls range duty.

walther-p22.jpg

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
i was looking for something to do a lot of just for-fun shooting with. obviously a .22 is a smart choice ammo cost-wise and one of the pistols in particular was the p22. you like yours then, right hellion? any regrets?

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Again... legendary guns return.

One of the few semi autos in .357 mag. The Coonan.
Coonan357.jpg

I spotted this a show last week. Over 1G for it! :eek:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
6 inch(?) longslide, extended dustcovers, nice finish, and nice grips...as expensive as it is, it's still a deal all things considered.

Does the company build their own frame or is that from Infinity Arms?

Darklighterx

20 Year Member
I am not sure who did all the work. I was under the impression that Dan Coonan designed the thing. http://www.dancoonan.com/coonan_357.html

The pistol is very well made and a little hard to find. A .357 round makes a lot more sense then some of the larger magnums.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
While that's nice looking for the same money I'd by a Glock 22 and buy a 9mm and 357 conversion kit.

I went to a small gun show over the weekend and here is an example of what I heard from one fella. We were talking about a civil war era handgun that was for sale. "Things would be different these days if the south would have the government backing them and won the war." My uncle asked, "how so?" He said, " Well, for one thing we wouldn't have what's running for president now." I had to hold back the WTF?!? over from coming out my mouth. While this doesn't shock me that people think this way, it's just the first time I've heard it in person.:mad:

Anyway, there were some sweet deals to be had, but I didn't bring any money for a gun. The most tempting was a Colt Commander in hard chrome for $800 and a stainless steel model for $625. There was a DPMS AR for $750 new and a few used ones for around the same price.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
While that's nice looking for the same money I'd by a Glock 22 and buy a 9mm and 357 conversion kit.

I went to a small gun show over the weekend and here is an example of what I heard from one fella. We were talking about a civil war era handgun that was for sale. "Things would be different these days if the south would have the government backing them and won the war." My uncle asked, "how so?" He said, " Well, for one thing we wouldn't have what's running for president now." I had to hold back the WTF?!? over from coming out my mouth. While this doesn't shock me that people think this way, it's just the first time I've heard it in person.:mad:

Anyway, there were some sweet deals to be had, but I didn't bring any money for a gun. The most tempting was a Colt Commander in hard chrome for $800 and a stainless steel model for $625. There was a DPMS AR for $750 new and a few used ones for around the same price.

lol @ "whats running for president"

I love it. Like he isn't even human.

Eh, every hobby has idiots. At least on this site we can lock ours in to the war room :D

Darklighterx

20 Year Member

Hahaha... damn! Sounds like the South alright!

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Put one of these on "lay-a-way" (wife compromise) a few days ago...

pix866619640.jpg

Remington 870 6+1 shotgun...and I'm going to add some goodies to it real soon...