Firearm enthusiast thread

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
i really liked the slim design of it with the single stack magazine. seems it would be easy and comfortable for concealed carry. any other makers offer a similar slim pistol?

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
Glock = Self Destructing Brick

That is the story.
I just picked these up 2 days ago:
G21-KrissMagEXG30.jpg

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I dont know what cops shoot but if they are FMJs then they are more likely to penetrate wall and possibly put others at risk. Hollow points dont pass through solid objects as easily. Just be sure to hit what you are shooting at ;)

I bet hardly any departments use FMJ these days. You're right on over penetration. There have been several police shot by their own guys due to that.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
and by the way, any of you guys ever shot a glock 36? opinions?

Never shot one, but after shooting a commander size .45 I wouldn't want to shoot anything smaller or lighter. Now if it's just for self defense that's one thing, but fun to shoot in general I'd pass. If you can get a 1911 style compact for the same price I'd get that first.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
i really liked the slim design of it with the single stack magazine. seems it would be easy and comfortable for concealed carry. any other makers offer a similar slim pistol?

For the range the next gun I buy is going to be a VERY slim Beretta 87t. Shrouded barrel with an alloy sleeve = sexy as shit.

I guess it's not a good choice for CC since the 22lr offers pissy stopping power....but hollow point rounds might(?) fix that problem. Maybe someone here who knows their shit could weigh in on the lethality of 22 cal rounds?

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
With proper shot placement a 22 sure the hell could kill someone. I almost think you'd want to use non-hollow points so they'd get the most penetration. That way once they're in the break up and start to tumble causing more damage.

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
For the range the next gun I buy is going to be a VERY slim Beretta 87t. Shrouded barrel with an alloy sleeve = sexy as shit.

I guess it's not a good choice for CC since the 22lr offers pissy stopping power....but hollow point rounds might(?) fix that problem. Maybe someone here who knows their shit could weigh in on the lethality of 22 cal rounds?

Nice.
That link had this video link of some fat fuck bump firing a Beretta 92:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELol1dHjHEE&NR=1

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member

i wouldn't go any lower than 9mm hollow points for self-defense, and even that's pushing it IMO

Orochi_invisibleink

Ghost of Captain Kidd
so the mentality is if someone is wanting to come after you with a gun, a .22 wouldnt have enough power to stop them from proceeding with what they were trying to do? i was thinking that (like funk buddy said) bullets will bounce around and splinter and do damage in the body regardless of the caliber.

nice to have discussion in here. best thread in unrelated! :cool:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
so the mentality is if someone is wanting to come after you with a gun, a .22 wouldnt have enough power to stop them from proceeding with what they were trying to do? i was thinking that (like funk buddy said) bullets will bounce around and splinter and do damage in the body regardless of the caliber.

nice to have discussion in here. best thread in unrelated! :cool:

.22 caliber, IMO, doesn't have enough energy to stop someone dead in their tracks, which is what you want to do with an intruder

you don't want them dying slowly for a variety of reasons, perhaps the worst of which being that they may be able to get a shot off after being hit

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
you don't want them dying slowly for a variety of reasons, perhaps the worst of which being that they may be able to get a shot off after being hit

That would be my worry, if the person attacking you had a firearm and was truly determined to do bodily hard to you.

I want to get something that fires .45ACP, but I also want a single action revolver AND a lever action rifle that shoot the same caliber of bullet. I was thinking .357mag.

Of course, thats like a pipe dream for me atm.

My 10/22 and shotgun suit me fine...for now.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
All you really need is a .357 Magnum revolver. :)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
All you really need is a .357 Magnum revolver. :)

Yes, but I want to play cowboy too.

But...i have been considering a .357 magnum (double action) revolver for some target shooting, but primarily self defense.

I just love the mechanical reliability of the revolver, and the .357 mag is no fucking joke to get hit by either.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
...i was thinking that (like funk buddy said) bullets will bounce around and splinter and do damage in the body regardless of the caliber.

Exit wounds...

Hollow points = fragmentation
full metal jacket = piercing / fmj + steel center = armor piercing
wadcutter/truncated cone = clean exit for paper targets

Anything over 45 cal with a round nose = a big mess on the way out. So even if you don't hit anything vital, the other guy is going to get messed up anyway.

Timorous Scott

Raiden's Valet
over the weekend went to the range and shot an Ak47, 12 gauge shotgun, 9mm glock, and some sort of revolver.

just found out i inherited a few revolvers from my grandma as well, so it looks like i'll be at the range a lot more often. how much does a 9mm glock usually go for?

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
over the weekend went to the range and shot an Ak47, 12 gauge shotgun, 9mm glock, and some sort of revolver.

just found out i inherited a few revolvers from my grandma as well, so it looks like i'll be at the range a lot more often. how much does a 9mm glock usually go for?

Congrats. But you'd be better off buying a .9mm M9 Beretta over a GLOCK. Or even Ruger's new SR7 that holds 17 in the mag + 1, freggin' 18 damn shots before you even reload. On that note I used to carry a M1911-A1 for my job, these days I've gone to the actual Made-for-DoD M9 with JHP Hyrda Shocks. Of course if you want a reliable .9mm that won't cost ridiculous prices, BERSA offers a nice range of pistols.

What kind of 12gauge was that you shot? I'm going to get me a Mossberg 590A1 in the near future, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Sold my SKS-M [SKS-47] carbine, but it had to go.

@Lagduff you do realize you can purchase a .45LC single action revolver from Taylor Arms that will come with a separate cylinder designed to fit the .45ACP cartridge right? You essentially get two different forty-five caliber pistols (in the single action) in one.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate

As for the Glock it depends on the model and new or used.

17 $350 + used
19 $400 + used
26 $350 + used

I'm sure you could find some for less, but the 19 seems to hold the highest value since it's most desired.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
@Lagduf you do realize you can purchase a .45LC single action revolver from Taylor Arms that will come with a separate cylinder designed to fit the .45ACP cartridge right? You essentially get two different forty-five caliber pistols (in the single action) in one.

Thats cool.

I love how you can switch out the cylinders on some revolvers if you're shooting similar rounds.

Funk Buddy

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I've been thinking along the same lines as you Laduf. Not so much for cowboy shooting, but having a rifle and handgun in the same caliber. Since I have a .357 that's what I'm looking into, but the 45 long Colt or 44 Mag./44 Special sounds cool too.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've been thinking along the same lines as you Laduf. Not so much for cowboy shooting, but having a rifle and handgun in the same caliber. Since I have a .357 that's what I'm looking into, but the 45 long Colt or 44 Mag./44 Special sounds cool too.

I'd be interested to see what you pick up if you decide to do that.

I've seen some 9mm rifles before.